Back from AI School

Help Support CattleToday:

C HOLLAND

Reaction score
I finished up AI school yesterday at Southern Cattle Company in Marianna Fl.

Select Sires did a great job in the training and SCC was a great host for the class (The operation at SCC and their staff are top notch and great people)

It took me a while to get the feel for doing the AI on the cows but when it came to me it was like a light came on all of a sudden. I just need to get started soon on my own cows and PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE :)

I would highly reccomend Select Sires to anyone interested in getting trained in AI.

did you practice/learn on any with brahman influence? OMG when i took the course we had some......they are alot harder to figure out than other breeds. As the instructor said......the inside looks alot like the outside of the cow.....bramhan influence they will be just as big and floppy on the inside as they are on the outside.

Probably the most important thing now is to get into as many cows as you can as soon as you can. I see too many people take an AI course, come back and not breed a cow until 6 months later. Those are the ones that either give up on AI or have me breed for them. I hadn;t bred a cow in 4-5 years after having done it for around 15 years. The first couple of cows I got into after that long of a lay off were pretty hard to manipulate and figure out.

dun

We only worked on Angus cattle, These cows were so fat and that made it tougher to find everything. We also had 2 that were preg and I got to feel my first calf kick , she was about 7-8 months.

and Dun I do agree that I need to get right to it as soon as possible. I am by no means at the level I need to be and I know that only practice will make me better. I know that my % will not be very good in the beginning, but I plan on buying a clean up bull in the next few weeks.
I only have 3 bred cows at this time and will be buying more over the next few months. The instructor told US that heifers would be more difficult to start on.

I will let everyone know what my results are over the next few months, I will be doing my larger amount of cows around Feb, but plan on doing a few between now and then.

Congrats!!
Yes, you are right. Get going and get practice. SS gives a GREAT class. A guy named David was our instructor and Jerry DeWitt was a preceptor. He is also our semen rep. Did either teach your class?

Len Holliman was the rep who taught this class, he is the SE Rep for Alabama, Miss, Tenn and the panhandle of Fla.

The class was 2 1/2 days and it was my first time (A VIRGIN,,,,,LOL)
The instructor makes it look so easy and then you get your chance and find out WHOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA this is not easy. The first one I had success on was one that He was telling everyone that she was a good teaching cow. I went and tried her and I found the cervix right away and POP POP I was through and was all done in 2 minutes.

1 suggestion, if you go take the course, take some extra clothes and get a throw away coverall suit. It sure saves alot of cleanup time. and dont drop your hat because she may fill it up for you.

One of the students from near my home had a white cowboy hat on and the cow swooped it off his head with her tail and promply filled it up for him. We went to lunch later that day and he came to ride with me and he had the hat on again.
I asked him wasnt that the hat she had taken a dump in and he said YEAH, but I washed it out with a hose. I thought to myself then ( I AM A """"""COWBOY""""")

Good luck on your AI'ing. I am taking an AI and preg testing class at Washington Stte University right now. We are in lab four hours a week and the AI part of it lasted 6 weeks. Once you get your first rod to pass it gets pretty easy. It's even easier do it when the cow is actually in heat. We are now preg testing until Xmas, I've got it down to where I can estimate how far along they are once they reach 70 days. The hardest part is determining which one's are open, they always throw a few in and we are to find out which one's.

Have fun.

Bobg

I am not sure how often they have the course, it mainly depends on if they can find a farm to host it that will let them use their cows. THATS THE TOUGH PART

The best way is to try and work in your area and find someone who is willing to host the class and then contact Select Sires and try to set a date.

The cows can be culls because you dont actually use good semen, all you are doing is learning the proper technique.

C HOLLAND":2f5jfi1o said:
I am not sure how often they have the course, it mainly depends on if they can find a farm to host it that will let them use their cows. THATS THE TOUGH PART

The best way is to try and work in your area and find someone who is willing to host the class and then contact Select Sires and try to set a date.

The cows can be culls because you dont actually use good semen, all you are doing is learning the proper technique.

Was Len Holliman your teacher? He's an awful nice guy!

Congrats. Donald and Sherri Bridges with Genex came to our farm and gave a two day school. We learned a lot and had a good time. They were excellent instructors. But you are right practice, practice, practice, practice, practice well I can't say that enough.

and how much did it cost?
how many people were in the class with you?

The cost is $250.00 per person, If you will host the class and supply the cows, it may not cost you anything. We had 11 in our class. The reason there is not more training available is because no one wants to make their farm the training site and supply the cows.

It last 2 1/2 days

i just contacted Select Sires!!! A few of my friends and I are going to take the class if we can in Okeechobee, Florida (or near there!). I can't WAIT! do you know how old you have to be to attend?

Latest posts