back again, with some calf issues

Help Support CattleToday:

ChrisB":iiam9n3j said:
I assumed that this person also did other jobs around the farm during a 12 hour day. But as Hillsdown pointed out this may not be the case.

FYI - I grew up on a dairy farm and I am well aware of the hours it takes to operate one and have also raised my share of calves. My point was that there is a big difference between an owner and an employee and what should resonably be expected of them.
His stated position was "Calf manager/feeder". Feeding would take an hour or so each feeding. The rest of the time he should be managing. That's the part he's apparently not doing at all are just not worth a dam at it but gladly taking the "owner's" money every week for a job done half assed.

My guess would be that the owner expects a half-assed job - someone taking the time to actually *observe* calves is costing him even more money than a few useful meds.

We're talking a potential loss in the hundreds of thousands of dollars if it's not dealt with quickly and accurately.

That's the sort of argument that just might convince a boss who otherwise doesn't care how many calves die - or doesn't understand why they are dying. Good luck.

Offtopic - I visited some nice calf sheds yesterday - don't fully understand how they have the time to run an operation like that at this time of year, but the calves on the whole looked good and healthy. Some of them came from the farm I'm working on now and to my eye they were far from healthy when they left - a bit of care and better environment has certainly picked them up.

I do find it a little hard to believe the owner hasn't stepped in and done something IF he knows about all the sickness and death.

Latest posts