Baby calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Toad

Reaction score
Has anyone any advice on making sure a new calf is getting enough milk from its mother? I'm worried about one of my new baldie calves born this week to a Hereford heifer. The udder on this cow is large enough but I have repeatedly watched the calf try to suck every little while and move from tit to tit as if she is searching for food. The calf is active and runs around so I'm sure its getting some milk but she always looks empty. I also checked the cow and was able to get a little milk. Is there ever a time to supplement with a bottle of milk replacer every day?

It might do well with some supplement, but I've found once they've had the real thing, they aren't going to want the garbage in a bottle... If it's lucky it'll learn how to steal milk.
Chances are it's not going to grow much... I've had a couple cows like that. Once when a good cow lost her calf, I convinced her to adopt the starving one, and once that was settle I shipped the real mother.

maybe someone else has some other suggestions?

You cant expect the world from a 1st calf heifer -- your goal should be that she has a calf unassisted raises something to weaning and breeds back on time. Her Milk will improve with maturity -- it takes time. I suggest you leave them alone and dont fret over it.

Its been 5 days and its making it, I guess so long as the calf is running around its a sign that it getting something? Most of my calves over the last two years have been out of heifers but I don't recall them acting as hungry as this calf. I guess I will watch and wait. Thanks

My best heifers have raised calves better than some decent 5 old cows (675 lb steers), Typically speaking they'll be 100 lb or so less weaning weight than an older cow, and the worst, well.. I've had some train wrecks

I checked on them today and to my surprise the heifers bag has really filled out and seemed to have a lot of milk. Do some first timers take a few days to really start giving decent milk? Its been 4 1/2 days.

I worry about mine a bunch, all aspects, but this I don't worry too much about. You'll be able to tell if he's not getting enough. Trust me.

I bought some cows back in the summer (the rest as pairs fall '13) so I didn't know much about them, but I suppose this could happen to any of them, any age, on any given year. I had a cow calve and about three days later he was as poor as a snake. Obviously something was wrong, got them up and milked momma some, had SOME milk. Like you, I didn't know if it was enough and something wrong with the calf or what was up. I put them in the barn and poured the feed to her and good hay. Meanwhile, I got the calf on a bottle and he went right to it, like he was starving to death. Between me and her, we got him through a week or so of it until she came to her milk. He's growing like a weed now. Luckily, she was very easy to work with around him. I'd carry her feed in and bottle him right next to her. They are a lot easier to help when it seems they appreciate it and don't try to freight train you. :lol2:

I had one have some trouble last year. Trying to help them, and cow would try to eat me up. Couldn't really help like I wanted, didn't know what I could do or what I should do really. Lost the calf on a cold night. I have decided, after the pleasure of working with this last one, that they better raise one on their own, or let me help them. Otherwise somebody is gonna be putting them with bacon, cheese, mustard, onion, and pickles instead of back out with the bunch.

Good luck with your baby

Toad":2ws29yuk said:
I checked on them today and to my surprise the heifers bag has really filled out and seemed to have a lot of milk. Do some first timers take a few days to really start giving decent milk? Its been 4 1/2 days.
Yes, that can happen with any of them.
As talltimber stated, watch how the calf is doing. A starving calf will loose energy pretty quickly.

Latest posts