Baby Calf Defense

Help Support CattleToday:

BrangusUSA":14gz5fe8 said:
We run a closed herd except for a new bull every two years. We don't vaccinate anything - cow or calves. Never used a vet for our cattle. We have used antibiotics from the feed store - 3 times in the past 10 years. Never pulled a calf. Would not even begin to know how, except what I have read on here.
Never "luted" a cow/heifer either. These brangus cows have brahma in them. They have successfully had calves for thousands of years.
I provide salt/mineral/hay and an ear tag for each one with spray (summer) and minimal feed (winter). Grass in front and the bull behind.

Same here. It's the cows job to raise a calf, not mine.

I do my best to keep salt and mineral out, ear tag, keep flies away, and I don't mind using pour on wormer if need be.

... and no special heifer bulls either. Our calving issues are less than 1% and number of heifers who don't breed back or breed back late is also less than 1%.

I am a strong believer of vaccinations - but - I do not "vaccinate" my newborns for any diseases. They get Multimin, A&D, naval dip, weighed & eartag. Their first vaccination is at 3 months & again at 4 months old. Then again about 3 weeks after weaning.

Latest posts