Babies having babies

Help Support CattleToday:

S&S Farms

Reaction score
When i checked the bred heifer pasture this week I had one extra in the head count a nice little baldy heifer calf. We knew one was going to calf early after we did our early preg checking for AI. Mom 17 months old is doing fine seems to have plenty of milk and is a good mother. Still have not figured out who bred her and as she was being weaned with just heifers in her pasture. Some bull came in and left or she left and came back.

sold a bull to a neighbour a few years back, he turned the bull in with the heifers and a week later the first one calves. Phoned me saying that he just bought the bull with the shortest gestation period he knows of. As the calf developed it became clear that the other neighbour's jersey bull came to visit 9 months earlier.

It happens , moved a group of 16 heifers from our weaning pasture back to the farm . Plan was to move all 16 and carry the bull back . Only caught 14 . Carried the bull because there is a solid cross fence . Next day we caught the other 2 ; 9 months later one of the 2 calves . Someone jumped the fence and then jumped back or bred through the fence ? Heifer did a decent job but probably hurt her size in the long run .

It happens , moved a group of 16 heifers from our weaning pasture back to the farm . Plan was to move all 16 and carry the bull back . Only caught 14 . Carried the bull because there is a solid cross fence . Next day we caught the other 2 ; 9 months later one of the 2 calves . Someone jumped the fence and then jumped back or bred through the fence ? Heifer did a decent job but probably hurt her size in the long run .
wow, bring up a 16 year old thread!
This girl had a calf last year at about 17 months old.. she's a little skinny, but she doesn't come from a "fat cow" line either.. she's grown a fair bit of frame.. I think she'll have another one in May
IMG_20220223_112348_098.jpg

Week old here.. I gave him a supplemental bottle of milk twice a day for the first 2 weeks or so, then he didn't want it anymore
20210529_190051.jpg

I don't think she's the kind of cow I'm going to keep around a long time, I don't think she'll make the calves with the kind of build I want, but she might still be a productive cow

Latest posts