Average price per pound for black angus feeder calves?

Help Support CattleToday:

hilly11

Reaction score
I'm in Indiana, and looking to get two black angus feeder calves. I found an ad on craigslist that interested me but it was 1.75/lb for 500-800lb calves. Is this a reasonable price, just want to make sure I don't get screwed :)

I think cattle are genraly higher where i am. and the high end the best 500 pound steers 1.85 to 1.92 and at 800 around 1.40 to. 1.45 me that sounds a little high. not always but most of the time around here if someone is trying to sell off the farm they may be wanting to much.

E in PA":2w7h0qv0 said:
neighbor sells his for 1.25 a lb, but that's here and he's kicking around raising his prices.
He'd be better off selling at the barn.

You can afford to pay more off the farm. Go out and see there outfit, ask about vacinations, worming, feed, implants. You can see if all there cows look good, look them in the eye make sure there clear and bright. The sale barn is not the place to learn, you might even make a friend.

hooknline":2tu2uv91 said:
E in PA":2tu2uv91 said:
neighbor sells his for 1.25 a lb, but that's here and he's kicking around raising his prices.
He'd be better off selling at the barn.
not really, 1.32-1.37 for 500-700lbs here this past week. and after you figure in sale barn fees and either hauling or hiring somebody to haul its almost the same. but thats the prices here.

Hilly, most auction yards have a web site, and post their latest sale prices. Find the closest one to you, and check their site. That will be your closest guesstimate to price in your area. I've never gone to an auction to buy cattle to raise for butcher; we buy from local people, but pay upper-end of market price for them. We have no surprises that way.

Latest posts