Auto loans hit record high..........

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
People buying a new vehicle are borrowing more and paying more each month for their auto loan.

Experian, which tracks millions of auto loans each month, said the average amount borrowed to buy a new vehicle hit a record $32,187 in the first quarter. The average used-vehicle loan also hit a record, $20,137.

"We have not seen a slowdown in loan demand. In fact, volume for new and used loans is up from previous years," said Melinda Zabritski, senior director of automotive financial solutions for Experian.

With sales of new vehicles moderating slightly after the four best years the industry has ever seen in the U.S., dealers and auto executives are watching whether consumers will be more resistant to the steady increase in new car prices. That is not happening. In fact, the average amount borrowed topped $32,000 for the first time ever.

As a result, the average monthly payment for a new vehicle continued to climb to a new high of $554 and to a record $391 for used vehicles, according to Experian.

While new car sales and loans are still strong, people with the best credit scores are increasingly buying a used model instead of new. Experian says 61.8% of those with a prime credit rating and 44.7% of those with a super prime credit rating took out loans to buy a used vehicle in the first quarter. Those are the highest percentages Experian has ever recorded for prime and super prime used vehicle borrowing.

It's a trend Zabritski has seen increasing in recent years. "Consumers seem to be taking advantage of options to reduce payments — specifically leasing," she said.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/auto-loans-hit-record-high-sending-borrowers-with-the-best-credit-to-the-used-market/ar-AACtZ1L?li=BBnba9I

Buying a a new vehicle is almost what buying a new house just a few years ago. I have had a few vehicle loans, but they were paid off ASAP.

Auto bubble?

Hope it pops sooner rather than later, I would like a new truck, and I don't want to have to get a mortgage to buy it.

True Grit Farms said:
greybeard said:
I've never really understood this. In 69 yrs, I've never had a car or truck loan.

Your privileged GB, and a paper pushers nightmare.
I've always heard there are distinct financial advantages to using OPM, but I've tried hard not to do so. May not be the wisest or smartest move, but I just do not like debt.

My wife's car payment is about twice what our first houses mortgage was. I paid cash for my truck. Different ways we were raised.

I can only dream of paying cash for a new truck today.....

that is why I still drive on that is 12 years old....

I am thinking I will put my limited funds in keeping it running...

I looked at an Expedition a couple days ago as I was getting my work truck serviced. Over $80,000. I drive an old jeep Cherokee with 311,000 miles that i gave $2,000 for 2 years ago. Makes much more sense to me.

Vehicle prices go up year after year, so no surprise size of loans are at a record high.
Population increases year after year too, so more total loans would also be expected.
I fail to see the "news" other than the reporting of expected facts.

Oh it's not a new truck. But it's what I could afford. I avoid payments when at all possible unless they make me money

Son of Butch said:
Vehicle prices go up year after year, so no surprise size of loans are at a record high.
Population increases year after year too, so more total loans would also be expected.
I fail to see the "news" other than the reporting of expected facts.

... in a booming economy. The S&P has never been this high either. No surprise here.

jltrent said:
Not only the auto loan to pay back, but the annual taxes which VA state is up there in cost and insurance. New vehicles and tractors are hard to pencil out about anyway you can look at it. My last vehicles I bought lease returns at about a 40% mark down over new with around 30000 miles on them (they had been maintained as per records)

my current E250 van I bought at a year old with 36000 miles on it and have it at 138000 now 11 years later. would love to find another one like it but they don't even make the e250 any more...

Latest posts