Dodge Auto Transmission problem

Help Support CattleToday:

I did check the fluid and it was at the correct level. The fluid smelled burnt though.
Apparently there are two bands that can be adjusted on these transmissions one of them can be adjusted on the side of the transmission and the other one is accessible when you drop the pan. From what I read you just tighten a bolt to a certain torque spec.
The newer synthetic transmission fluid smells burnt straight from the bottle.

go somewhere that has a large selection of magazines, buy a couple of truck/4 wheel drive/rv towing magazines. I guarantee you will find several good trans shops that sale reman transmissions on this side of the Mississippi river.

I can't imagine it would pay to have a trans shipped to you and back for the core.

Unless you're in the middle of nowhere, it shouldn't be hard to find a good transmission shop.

Last edited:
Bottom line will be what you use the truck for. Daily driver most any good shop can build a tranny that will last about 100000 mi. If you tow a lot a upgraded tranny is the way to go. Look into the parts put into the tranny. Most shops just re-use most parts and throw in a few cheaply made "new" parts. A really well built tranny has parts like this:
  • 24 Month/Unlimited mile warranty
  • · DPC Reman billet triple disc torque converter
  • · HD SFI 29.1 rated flexplate
  • · Deep finned aluminum pan (with drain plug and temp sensor port, holds extra 4 quarts of fluid)
  • · 6 disc direct clutch (featuring Raybestos GPZ frictions)
  • · 4 disc forward clutch (featuring Raybestos GPZ frictions)
  • · 6 disc OD direct clutch (featuring Raybestos GPZ frictions)
  • · 10 disc OD direct clutch (featuring Raybestos frictions)
  • · Raybestos Pro Series intermediate band
  • · Sonnax billet intermediate servo cover (w/pin o-ring)
  • · Sonnax billet dual seal accumulator piston
  • · Sonnax billet low/reverse servo piston (w/high temp lip seal)
  • · Superior reinforced band strut
  • · Heavy duty Borg Warner low roller clutch
  • · Heavy duty Borg Warner OD roller clutch
  • · Low roller clutch direct lube modification
  • · OD brake clutch cooling/lube modification
  • · Heavy duty forward clutch diaphragm spring (Belleville)
  • · Complete OD thrust bearing set (w/updated sun gear thrust plate)
  • · OD output ball bearing
  • · Complete thrust washer set
  • · Dimpled bronze pump bushing
  • · Heavy duty direct drum bushing
  • · Borg Warner HD governor pressure solenoid
  • · OEM governor pressure transducer
  • · OEM OD/TCC solenoid set (w/internal harness and case connector)
  • · Dynamic custom calibrated HD/Towing valve body features:
  • o Full cooler flow/converter charge in park
  • o Increased line pressure (custom HD/Towing line pressure curve)
  • o Custom calibrated, laser cut, heavy-gauge (.050â€) separator plates (substantially reduces cross feed issues)
  • o Modified TV pressure and pressure curve
  • o Governor pressure circuit relief valve (prevents transducer blowout due to high line pressure)
  • o Pressure regulator buffer circuit (reduces rapid regulator valve oscillation and pressure fluctuation)
  • o Full time lube modification
  • o Custom shift calibrations (specify Towing, Street or High-Performance calibrations)

• Look on Turbo Diesel Register and see which shops & Transmissions are recommended the most.
  • Lastly, go cheap and you will be replacing the tranny again & a lot sooner than you want to. Do it right and you will be very happy driving your truck 2 or 3 times the mileage of the cheap tranny.

That is a very good model diesel truck year. It will be expensive, but if the rest of the truck is in good shape well worth putting money in. Cost of a new one like that is well north of 50k and not as good of truck. Also you might look into converting it to a straight shift as there should be some manuals trans out there for that truck year. I converted a Honda Accord from an auto to a straight myself before.

Pricefarm, what did you end up doing?
Well it's still at the dealers , suppose to be done by Wednesday, they gave me a truck to drive while they had mine. They have had it for 4 weeks now. Been waiting on parts supposedly for over a week. Me and the owner of the dealership are on first name bases now and he assures me that they are going to make it right. We will see...

I wish you the best of luck. I had my tranny from Dynamic installed at the local dealer here. But my wife's cousin is the diesel mechanic there and he did the installation.

Latest posts