auto head gate-swing type

Help Support CattleToday:

mountainranch

Reaction score
Hi everyone
I'm nearing completion of my coral, working chute project. I 'll be using an old swing type automatic headgate. How do you determine the width you need to set the gate opening? With the gate open to the fullest ,it seems like a cow might get caught behind the shoulders. I have never used a headgate before and dont want to cause a wreck. Also, Would 28" be a good width for the headgate chute? I'll be working angus cattle.
THANKS

mountainranch":3p01ul7o said:
Hi everyone
I'm nearing completion of my coral, working chute project. I 'll be using an old swing type automatic headgate. How do you determine the width you need to set the gate opening? With the gate open to the fullest ,it seems like a cow might get caught behind the shoulders. I have never used a headgate before and dont want to cause a wreck. Also, Would 28" be a good width for the headgate chute? I'll be working angus cattle.
THANKS

On mine they have three settings. I set my on the 1st setting for goats and calves under 400lbs. I use 2nd setting for calves and cows to 1100lbs. over 1000lb bulls will probally require the 3rd setting. I usually end up using the 2nd setting alittle to early. I dont know if this helps any. If in doubt I'd use the 2nd just in case and be close as possible so i could release if need be.

mountainranch":k8ooae6q said:
I 'll be using an old swing type automatic headgate.

THANKS

I think you are describing a manual self catch but I am not truly sure.

If so: Set your chute the full width for your biggest cow. When you get a large calf or heifer coming through the chute all you have to do is manually close it a little and it will self catch in the identical manner on smaller cattle. The real secret to these things is to get the animal moving hard into it.

If that is not what you are describing, my apologies.

mountainranch":rtpkgzhl said:
Hi everyone
I'm nearing completion of my coral, working chute project. I 'll be using an old swing type automatic headgate. How do you determine the width you need to set the gate opening?

Are you talking about the type of head catch that swings inwards to catch the critter, then you can release it and swing it out to release him/her?

msscamp
Yes, the head gate has two levers, one pulls a spring loaded plate up which allows you to manually push the gate in, toward the cattle. The other lever unlatches the gate so it will swing outward, releasing the cattle. I'm not sure how wide to set the opening to catch the cows properly. The levers don't actually move the gates, you have to position them manually. Does this sound like an automatic type? Also, what width is good for the gate chute? I considered making it 28".
Thanks for the input

It's an automatic (sort of). With that type WW is theo nly one like that I've worked with much, I set the opening so be just a little wider then the cows head, like half way to the end of the ears at most.
The catch, or non-catch as the case may be, is that some cows will learn to hit it just hard enough to swing part way shut then jerk back. When that happens the catch swings wide open and the cow shoots through like, well you can imagine what it's like.

dun

mountainranch":u94wy463 said:
msscamp
Yes, the head gate has two levers, one pulls a spring loaded plate up which allows you to manually push the gate in, toward the cattle. The other lever unlatches the gate so it will swing outward, releasing the cattle. I'm not sure how wide to set the opening to catch the cows properly. The levers don't actually move the gates, you have to position them manually. Does this sound like an automatic type? Also, what width is good for the gate chute? I considered making it 28".
Thanks for the input

That is what we have, too. It is an automatic in that it catches them when their shoulders hit the gate. I can't tell you exactly how wide to open it, we just eyeball it. Not much help, I know, but that is how we do it. A word of warning - depending on how old your chute is and such things, if you try to release it to open it and the animal is 'leaning' (for lack of a better term) on it, it can break the chain and the gates won't release. If there is pressure on the gates, we always open them back into the chute and let the cow go, then open them up and release her.

mountainranch":1ap4cyue said:
The other lever unlatches the gate so it will swing outward, releasing the cattle. I'm not sure how wide to set the opening to catch the cows properly. The levers don't actually move the gates, you have to position them manually. Does this sound like an automatic type? Also, what width is good for the gate chute? I considered making it 28".
Thanks for the input

This sounds like a "self catch" headgate to me. You'll get used to it. As Dun said, get the cows moving into it hard and keep it well oiled.

You will also learn to "assist" the catch. You can push it shut from along side the chute with a good stiff rod.

I have a pen on the outlet of the chute and I can route the cows back through, release them to the pasture, or route them to a loading. You might think of doing something similar. It would help with the misses until you get into the swing of operating the gate.

Look at it this way, you are way ahead of those who have no gate or working facilities. Congratulations to you for taking care of business and getting something together. Flies are already a problem here.

backhoeboogie":2f2w0puv said:
mountainranch":2f2w0puv said:
The other lever unlatches the gate so it will swing outward, releasing the cattle. I'm not sure how wide to set the opening to catch the cows properly. The levers don't actually move the gates, you have to position them manually. Does this sound like an automatic type? Also, what width is good for the gate chute? I considered making it 28".
Thanks for the input

This sounds like a "self catch" headgate to me. You'll get used to it. As Dun said, get the cows moving into it hard and keep it well oiled.

Yep, that's it. Sorry about my incorrect terminology. :oops:

You will also learn to "assist" the catch. You can push it shut from along side the chute with a good stiff rod.

Ours has a lever on the side to do that. Depending on how much help we have, usually we do that but sometimes we don't.

Flies are already a problem here.

We've had a good wind all day today and it is still blowing, all the flies are either hiding or they are in Platte County! Hopefully they are in Platte County and will stay there. :lol:

one of our's is like that - what we do is set the gate for the cows
but when getting it ready (in the back position) we only open it part of the way
that way they can only get their head into the opening without their forward movement taking the gate with them
if they have a big head they have to wiggle a little ;-)

Latest posts