Australian Talk.

Help Support CattleToday:

I just looked up seek. I eventually found the Chesterfield ad as it was in Gold Coast!

They are looking for a Service Manager AND a Service Administrator. Service Administrator is exactly what I am doing at David Evans, so I feel a little bit of relief now.

I got home from Brisbane today instead of tomorrow. Jed was a little lively in Pam's garden and the heat wasn't encouraging me to stay so it was mutually agreed that I should go. I got the garage door lifter hooked up yesterday arvo so after a trip to Bunnings this morning there was no need to hang around. Unfortunately there was not much relief here, coming home to a closed up house it is taking a while to cool down and as Colin said it is unusually humid here this arvo. A storm has come over from the NW which is very unusual, only about 4mm but still very hot so maybe it is not finished yet.
I tallied up the rainfall for 2012 the other day and forgot to mention it, 843mm for the year which is not bad considering the dry latter half, probably around average for out here (no official figures). At the other block just over the hill, my neighbour Mario only recorded 640mm, I think the Stanthorpe average is 760mm so a good bit under. A few km east makes a big difference.
My rotations have one more paddock then up the back along the border for another week or 2 and if nothing worthwhile happens they will then go into the tin mine for a few weeks waiting for rain and if that doesn't happen then the commercial calve can go early and Dale might want to take some cows as well, but I reckon I've got about 6 weeks before that happens and maybe something will happen in that time but I'm not counting on it.
I want to put about 2 truckloads (400)of small square bales in the shed before autumn but am a bit reluctant to start asking around until conditions improve, that is if they do. The growers know that things are tough and will hold out for top money. Maybe I should go for dollar cost averaging, do one load now and a second when things improve. I am not after prime horse hay but don't want rubbish. probably the lower end of horse hay.
Ken

Me too Suzie....too much bad stuff happens.
Tomorrow and Mon are going to be the worst days for heat yet they say. Today was horrible, some awful gusty dry storms around tonight, real firestarters. Hubby spent part of the afternoon helping ppl broken down on the highway in an old black chevrolet truck they'd imported from Mexico to Brisbane and were trying to drive home to Esperance (right across Australia, coast to coast, for folks who don't know!) - no aircon in it either. Finally got a tilt tray truck arranged for them - they're going to fly back to Bris and then to WA.

Phew, very hot here again today - tomorrow will be similar and then we might start to cool off a little. Even a 40 degree day would be a cool change right now. I see they've cancelled the trains to Longreach because of fear of the lines buckling - its happened before. The bitumen roads are melting so those long-haul trucks will be making a fair mess of them. We've been removing a cattle crush and installing a new one in our homestead yards - hot and heavy work. The welder has just died so hubby is not happy.
I wasnt surprised to read that on Thursday, the day I went to Winton, it equalled its maximum temp ever recorded. There was a mare with a small foal in a bare paddock on the edge of town and I wondered if it would survive the day. Happily, when I was heading home it was still there behind its mother. Even the crows were dying on some properties, lots of other types of birds died, even some dead willy-wagtails here.
A heifer calved about 5 this morning and at 6 I was able to walk her and the calf about half a mile to some shade. Dumped some hay there to encourage the heifer to stay put. The pony mares spend the day around the house dam - every so often they jump in the dam and do a lap and then get back under their tree.

Sorry about your friend Suzie, at least things didn't drag out with false hope.
We just ended up with 4mm yesterday, made zero difference. There is some sort of line of showers coming through Warialda Inverell area at the moment, hopefully they will get to us, Bo thinks so, she has insisted she comes inside which she is allowed to do during storms. She does tell a few whoppers though.
I am a bit embaressed to complain about the heat here, I think we got to 35C today. I spent the day in the shed again, was OK when the fan was directed at me, but would not like it any hotter.
I had a bit of a swim in the dam this arvo, had to check the non return footvalve, the pump lost its prime. Surface water was warm but about 2 ft down it was nice and cool.
Ken

Thank you so much Burlar.

I saw the train lines red hot on the News and they said the trains weren't running, Jilleroo. They also said that every bit of shade was taken up by birds and not flying. Then they showed silly humans doing a fun run!!!!! Looks like bird brains win for intelligence today!

Not so hot for us today as Papas was not as hot as here. However his sister complained and complained and complained and turned on the air conditioning even though all of us were not hot and she didn't have to pay for the electricity. I would never do that in somebody else's house.

Back to Beaudesert and we stopped Woolworths. There was a very very hot wind, like someone was blowing a hot fan. I would have liked to have seen hubby's sister feel that!

OMG OMG OMG - on 3 counts. A real crappy week with losing my job and losing 2 friends who died out of the blue. I didn't think I would feel any happy emotions for a long time, but 3 times today.

Firstly I fitted into my jodhpurs. The first time I have fitted into real jodhpurs for about 18 years. No more trackie dacks for riding!!!

Number 2 - I did take my camera and I did give it to the instructor to video, however , I changed the setting on the camera as I didn't know how much left on the card and thought I was changing it to a lower mp so could fit more on the card but no.

It has taken up in slow motion. I am not kidding. 30 seconds to get around the short side of the arena in canter.

I find it fascinating I have been playing with it all afternoon (had to hang out clothes and water garden in the dark)

I hope it works. It has recorded in Quick Time so I can't use it or upload it like I usually do. Other side of the arena and in canter.

Not Dodge, Jack who is the only one who not come back from the Holiday and feeling lazy. More forward, so he was given to me to ride. He is still pretty green. Very long backed and not an easy ride. I love him as he reminds me of my Pepper.

http://s16.beta.photobucket.com/user/Su ... 4.mp4.html

I have cleared the card and next week I will recharge the batteries and take a tripod and put it somewhere where I can do what I want recorded and see what happens. Do you like it in slow motion, or should I put it back to normal?

Thirdly a new school horse on trial. Name Zeus. Close to 17 hands. Thoroughbred and can do flying changes. That is all I know so far from speaking to a non dressage girl there. He might be going into the School next week or the week after so I might get to ride him.

I feel like a giddy school girl!!!!!

Been blowing a gale here. Strong enough to blow away the underground tank...and dust for about 5 hours. Not much dust now and cooler but still gusting strong winds.i can't remember worse winds for so long. Very scarey. If a fire started there would be no stopping it. Bad fire near Coonabaraban, burnt part siding springs observatory I think and a few houses.

Last 3 days have been 41.2C, 44.5C and 41C. Supposed be to be down to 32C tomorrow so I might vaccinate my weaners with 5 in 1.

Smart ponies Jilleroo. Our kelpies have dug holes under the jasmine vines so I gave in and filled them with water so the dogs can go somewhere cool. Hard on animals in this weather.

Diana I think we'll top 48 degs here today. Can hardly bear the thought of it. Have to go to town to take the scales in to be fixed but won't be lingering! I saw a good cartoon yesterday.....it was a drawing of "God's Kitchen". God is sitting at the table reading a mag. An angel is looking at the oven which is fairly ablaze and says "What are you cooking in there God?"
"Australia" he replies. And that's just how I feel!

Well tonight I am nice and snug in my tracksuit. Things can certainly change quickly up this way.
I basically got the mulcher finished today and threw a quick coat of yellow paint on it. Just got to put the covers back on it tomorrow.
Ken

Well ... we just survived another scorcher, the worst of them all I think....unbelievably hot. M-in-law said their thermometer was at the top of the glass - it goes to 50 degs and it was right up there. Many ppl said it was the hottest day they've experienced on their station property - any one with chooks (hens, chickens) had to have them in the house in the aircon or they were dead. I had a sprinkler going for the wild birds and there was even rabbits under it. Joeys were out of the pouch everywhere, just too hot for them. I went down at 6pm to chase wild pigs out of some troughs so the cattle could get a drink before they headed out to graze - about 10kms from the homestead. The air was almost too hot to breathe as I rode along, then I thought there was a heavy smoke haze and realised I was fainting. Luckily I was near a trough and managed to get in it. I rode home in stages, stopping where there was a tree, turning the bike off to let it cool in case it blew up. (The bike was so hot, it was superheating me as well!) Tried to tell hubby (who was busy welding in the shed would you believe!) but, unless I'm dead or injured, he's not interested in a story....It was still 44 degs at 7pm and that's in a leafy green garden with pressurised sprinklers going full bore. Surprisingly, the charolais cattle arent really that affected by it at all. None appear distressed. The humidity has been about 11 percent though - with higher humidity we'd all be dead.
Son got the new pump set up on the artesian bore at our Winton place and has it pumping continuously until it catches up.

Boy Jilleroo. We have nothing to complain about here after reading that.

I have a job interview with Chesterfield Australia. 1.30pm in the Afternoon at Slacks Creek.

To me that means go to a riding lesson at DP at 9am, go to Mum's old place and see if my brother is there and then go to the job interview in the afternoon. Go to Bunnings and spend my $20.00 card from the online Surveys.

I will ring my Best Friend and see if she wants to come with me to visit DP and where I grew up.

Good luck with your interview Suzie.
What a shocker of a day for you Jilleroo. I can't imagine being out in temps like those you experienced. Hope things improve soon. I heard that Chadwick Downs brafords were burnt out at Coonabarabran. To see one's livestock dead from fire would be devastating.
We're off to the other farm to repair fences damaged by fallen trees from the strong winds on Sunday. Not game to use the chainsaw so will just be a patch up job to keep the cattle in.
Took the rams out yesterday - they were with the ewes for an 8 week joining. They seemed quite happy to come home.

Good luck with the interview Suzie, hopefully they will appreciate the contribution you can make to them and snap you up!

Bring on the monsoon! Cloud has moved in here now and along with it, the humidity. That has hit us between the eyes like a hammer, after those extreme hot dry temperatures. All I want to do is sleep which is not like me. Here's hoping it will rain rain rain tonight - the map is showing that most of our country will be to the west of it, it will go down E of Longreach - hope not, it can't do that to us! Are there any prospects for rain down your way soon Diana?

There were small but wild electrical storms last night and fires broke out locally. There was enough of a sprinkle to get them out.
We had a plant each ready to roll but eventually called it a night and went to bed instead.

Latest posts