Australian Talk.

Help Support CattleToday:

The median house price in Brisbane would be $450-500,000.
Dale, things should get moving next week. Most tradesmen go back to work on Monday, they are a bit sluggish getting started though.
Spent the afternoon in the shed working on the mulcher.
Starting to dry out again and not much prospect for rain.
Ken

I have worked through my lunch hour 2 days straight. 9 hours a day and for the last couple of days I have not touched the Statements which get send out at the beginning of the month. Funny how he thinks he can do without an admin person. I am now putting down all my overtime, so they can pay me and see just how much I do.

My friend who has the cancer we saw last week. He has gone downhill a lot in a week. He is sorting out his life and giving to his family what he wants. We missed out on the Bazadais as hubby did not go and get them when I asked him to. He has sold the 2 cows, 4 heifers and bull for $18,000.00 and will get it straight away instead of mine cheaper and over 5 years, so I can't blame him. sigh.

Another shock for us tonight. Mum emailed to say our friend that we saw at Christmas did not come to her place for New Years. She just thought he had gone to his brothers. His brother just rang to say he had been found dead.

Not old and skinny all his life. My first friend has also been skinny all his life. Both could eat heaps and never put anything on.

Sorry about you bad news Suzie, Us employers never realize how valuable our employees are until they are gone and we manage without them. LOL JK Ken, when you get that mulcher fixed up, how long will it take you to "mow" whatever you are using it on? Burglar, hooray on your Jan 30th move. I am so jealouse of you and your move down under but I am happy for you too. Jilleroo, I saw a report where the minimum wage in Austrailia was 16 per hour. Is that true?

So sorry about your bad news Suzie....

Yes Melking, $16 an hour is correct. How does that compare?

Ken, out of our six sets of facilities in total, only two have shelters and those are the main yards on each place. This is where the weaners are carted to and we like them to have some shade available. Our weaners are always well catered for, as much hay as they can eat, shade and water.

The calf has managed to connect with the cow now and I'll let them out as soon as its cool enough to do so, maybe tomorrow morning. She'll probably give the calf a trot getting away from the yards, so it needs to be something less than the current 43 degrees. The heifers are still calving well, havent even lost a calf in the heat. One left a little senepol newborn out in it all day yesterday (I tried to find him) and he popped up on dark, happy as larry.

Hubby is carting steer weaners to the other place tomorrow and will stay on there and help brand and wean a paddock.
Then he'll come back and we'll hop in and do another paddock here before the temps go right up again.
Anything under 41 degrees is okay - over that, the stock are best left alone (and me too!) I'm going to paint the wall on the deck of the house - I don't like the colour it is. I've chosen a dark colour, a teal, bit of a risk but it should look good. Then I had hubby cart a tiptruck load of manure/mulch over from the cattleyards and I'm going to barrow that around the garden as well as top up the potplants.

Mel, the idea of the mulcher is to mow the African lovegrass on my smaller block. This is a summer growing grass that is unpalatable to the cattle, it just keeps growing thicker and ranker if left. Early growth in spring after being cut can be utilized. I try to cut it in autumn and allow the cool season grasses to get going. By slashing it (bush hog) the thick grass piles up and will smother other good grasses and can take a couple of years to break down. The mulcher will chop it up and it is more evenly spread over the ground instead of being windrowed and breaks down a lot quicker.
Mel, I would think that building costs over there would be comparable to here. If that was the case then after having a house built on a block of land it would quickly lose value.
Your a beggar for punishment Jilleroo, spreading manure in that heat.
The industrial fan I bought before Xmas is working fantastic in the shed, it just moves the air right through. Normally in summer it would be too hot to work in the shed, now it is very pleasant.
I better go and watch the second 007 movie on channel 7 now, they are very easy to watch and follow, lots of eye candy.
Ken

I have taped the Bond movies Ken. We keep falling asleep trying to watch them!!!

Hubby cut paddock 1 yesterday. Then in the afternoon I raked paddock 1 while he cut 2 & 3.

When the dew dries this morning I will rake paddock 1 and then Paddock 2 & 3.

Hubby has taken 3 days off work to rake and bale.

Wednesday they are predicting is going to be 40 degrees.

Some of the temps they're predicting are really scary....one weather lot has us at 49 degrees one day and 47 for the others.
Hopefully we wont get past 45....My garden hasnt recovered from that last really hot day at the beginning of Dec. We wont be wanting any of our bores to break down. Those big char cows can empty a tank in no time flat on a super hot day, they just drink and drink and drink. I suspect we'll be pushing extra water down the lines with pumps again. Son has already had to up the main bore over at Winton, the cows are really dragging on the turkey nest.

I got the outside wall painted I wanted to do today - I thought I'd knock it over in a couple of hours but it took me 4. So hot.
Had to have a bit of a spell and then painted the window frames. All finished now. But hmmmm, not sure if I like it.....

Hubby carted steers across but then did a bearing on the dolly on the way home. A mate with a tilt truck came and got our dolly and brought a replacement one, but it wouldnt fit. So hubby has gone back to Winton with the truck to get another and will pick up the 40 ft trailer on the way back. We're mustering to brand again tomorrow so he'll want to have everything sorted.

Had to bring in a steer just on dark who was very bloated. He's been down all day, threatening to die. Got him into the crush and drenched him with oil. Just rode over, half expecting him to be dead, but no, his bloat is gone and he's at the hayfeeder.
No idea what caused it.

Phew Jilleroo, lucky you found him in time.

I watered the garden tonight. A few vines have started and I have left them, one is a sweet potato and I am guessing the other 2 are pumpkin, although why there I don't know, I guess could be water melon so I have left them to find out. LOL thinking back probably paddy melon which I pulled up a lot of when I started the garden. In that case they will be pulled up again!!

I fed the gold fish which I haven't done in awhile. They really weren't hungry. There is weed growing in there for them to eat now. I noticed some littlies, so they have had babies. How many I don't know as they were quite big and as I have not been feeding they have not been trained to come up and eat when I feed them.

We're expecting it to get to 37 C here tomorrow, for us that's hot! I put the thermometer outside the front door on Saturday and it climbed to 45 C. Its so dry here it disgusting. We've have had 181mm since the end of June and we have nothing worth mentioning on the horizon.
Suzie you must be getting some storms or something to have hay around the place. In 2011 we made 260 bales of silage, no irrigation, all grown on rainfall. In 2012, zero! I am getting to the point now where its best for me to look the cows up in one paddock and feed them. It's taken 7 years to get the herd to this point and I am not going to have move too many on just yet.
I on my way outside now so I will take some photos with my new phone and post them later.

OME that is very hot for the beautiful area you live in - won't be doing those lovely gardens any good!

Weatherchannel now has two days of 49 degrees for us. We cancelled our branding foray today - we didnt want mobs of freshly cut bull calves lying around in the heat. They're fat too which wouldnt help.

The steer is not bloated today but has been lying about, sometimes on his side. His manure is normal though, he was passing mucus and a couple of small slimy lumps of dung yesterday. This morning I found a cow with a dead backwards calf hanging out of her. Slogged her all the way home in the heat - it didnt smell very nice either - and yanked it out, gave her a needle and bushgated her. Luckily there's only two heifers likely to calve on those hot days predicted (hey, every day is a hot day here!)

Suzie I hope our goldfish don't boil Thurs/Fri in their outdoor pond!

Jilleroo it was lucky the truck wasn't loaded when the bearing spat the dummy. That teal should be a nice cool colour. What sort of surface is it going on?
Temp wise it has been pretty good here, a bit of cloud cover has been helping a bit, Wed is supposed to be the hot one. Not looking good for rain though.
OME it sounds a bit tough there. We have been fortunate with the storms up to Xmas but is drying out again now. Without any substantial rain for some time when we do get a bit in a storm the ground is so dry the effect only lasts a few days.
I better go and watch one of my favourite shows Pawn Stars. Don't despair ladies, it is about pawnbrokers on 7mate, worth watching.
Ken

Minimum wage here is like 7 or 8 dollars. Yikes Jilleroo over 120 farenheit, that's hot! Hey
Ken, if lovegrass is bad, can you stop its growth by mass poison? We use roundup here, and I guess it would be pretty expensive for a large area but when we have a concentration of Brazilian pepper bush or such, we spray clumps and kill them off to prevent spreading. After awhile, it seems to slow it down quite a bit. I started digging a new pond to build the parking pad behind the house. Went great until I blew the front wheel off my tractor. It never ends....

OME we have irrigation, which is killing us as well with the carbon tax as the Government changed the tariffs with no warning and none of the farmers found out until 3 months later. It affects anything that is irrigated so that means your fruit and vegie and flowers will go up as well as hay.

A redundancy letter given to me by work yesterday. LOL they have no idea how much I do, they will find out the hard way.

I finish on the 18th. I will take my Resume in on a USB flash drive. I have tried sending it to my email at work, however they must have that word blocked and never goes through.

Yes Melking :(

I applied to Subway as a Manager. We started eating at Subways 2 years ago and I have gone from 120 kgs to under 80 kg and still going down.

I also sent my Resume to Chesterfields. They are looking for a Service Manager. They sell John Deeres. They said I have the closest Resume for what they are looking for so far, however I looked up there advert and they said they are looking for someone who was a diesel fitter and that is definitely not me!

They have to give me a day off a week to look for a job. So I am not going in today. I will go around town and put my Resume around. The more people who know the more chance I have of snagging something.

I've haven't been able to get on for a couple of days, I don't know whether that has been the same for everyone, anyway we are back on air now.
That's a bit tough about the job Suzie. I get the general impression that David Evans Group is not doing well in areas like Boonah which has lost many of it's farms and traditional customers to smaller blocks and treechangers. Traditional farmers were busy and would just go in to town and buy stuff when they needed it, put it on the account and accept the cost for the convenience. Treechangers will shop around more on the internet and buy stuff out of the district as they often work a fair way away.
Anyhow, hope you can get something close by, sounds like you got used to the extra money coming in, also being out working has been good for your health.
I'm off to Brisbane today, I have to put back in Pam's garage door lifter.
It's getting very dry here, storm last night just sat on western side of town and then fizzled out, not good. I guess it will rain again one day. I might go out and buy a drizabone, I was putting it off while we were getting regular rain in case I jinxed it, can't do any harm now.
Ken

Yes I think we were all off-air Ken.
Suzie I'm so sorry about your job. Every best wish for a speedy resolution to your employment problem - Subway would be great - free sandwiches! (or maybe not....)
Well I went over to Winton yesterday to help with the grandkids as the new baby had three medical appointments 9.30, 11 and 2.30. Just some small issues to be cleared up with her, nothing major, but she had to see a visiting dr, as well as the baby nurse and then the local gp to get test results. It reached 49 degrees on the verandah of hubby's parents' house. The hottest gusty N wind you could imagine. Brother-in-law recorded 51 on his verandah, 49 out at our station on the big shady verandah. Had to take bubby around with a wet muslin cloth draped over her. The two year old boy played on oblivious to the heat. A few dry storms came up and hubby took our plant to a fire up the road before I got home. Very hard for him to operate it by himself (I drive the vehicle while he hoses). About 10 plants there and it burned onto the highway eventually and they were able to get it out. Not sure how much it burnt, about 3000 acres maybe. As I came along the highway I saw sheep grazing less than a mile from the lead of the fire, not the slightest bit worried.....no sheep were burnt. We're all prepared to head out again this arve, its looking critical once again.
Friends near Ballarat have had a bad start to the year. Firstly the husband fell backwards off a chaser bin onto the three-point linkage and broke his back and pelvis just after NY. Then a few days ago the bushfires went through and burnt all their sheep and their crop. The house was waterbombed by a chopper and was saved.
Couldnt find one newborn calf in the heifers yest to put it in shade before I left. Last night I saw the charolais heifer heading back out to where it had been roasting all day in an open shadeless area. Bless its little heart, up it popped and ran over to her for a drink. That's senepols for you. Had it been by the black bulls, it wouldve been deddibones.

Was having withdrawal symptoms when couldn't get onto CT for my daily fix- not sure what it says about my life.......Instead spent time on NSW fire alerts site, hoping nothing was close to us. Spoke to a friend near Cooma who has 4 properties and he said the Yarrabin fire was only 2 miles from his home block but at this stage burning away from him. There are some inaccessible valleys causing a problem. Tragic to know people have lost homes, hay, stock etc. Temps expected to be 43C for next 3 days. We put a thermometer outdoors (no shade) and was 53C (had been 43C in the shed) on weekend. I had to AI 6 cows on Monday (they had been synchronised so had to do them). Don't know if the heat will affect potential pregnancies.

Sorry about your job Suzie-guess you are a victim of cost cutting as small businesses struggle to keep trading.I think you are correct Ken, about the 'shopping around'and online purchases. We do a lot of phoning around to get best prices and put pressure on local suppliers.

Hope all is well with your granddaughter Jilleroo. The senepol calf must be a little toughie to survive in the full sun.I have 3 angus calves due in early feb so shall have to keep an eye on the heifers and make sure they are in the shade. We sold 5 bulls to a station out west last week and have another buyer coming tomorrow (he only wants one but has used our bulls before so its good to get a repeat client). The proceeds should just about pay for the hay and pellets we bought in December. Very dry here as only had 16.5 inches rain in 2012 and almost 10 of it fell by mid March. Dam water getting low too. Ah well, it could be worse- at least no one is shooting at us. Thats what we tell ourselves when we think Australia is a hard place for farmers.

Yes I had trouble getting in too. The Surveys have returned after the Christmas break so I did have something to occupy myself with.

I took the day off yesterday. One of the mechanics told me that if offered a redundancy they have to give you a day off a week to look for a job. So I went into Town and distributed my Resume to different places. I don't think it did much good as someone like David Evans and South East Qld Tractors would love to have me, but no use if there is not a job going.

I went to Centrelink, which wasn't much help. They just cut ads out of the paper and off the internet which of course I can do myself. I had been to Dovers in High Street, however they told me to go and see Bob Dover at the Irrigation yard. He is the big boss and he loves it when David Evans pay to train his Staff for him.

I chatted to him for a while. He said he hires 68 people between Beaudesert and Boonah and really asked if I know about parts, however I did not do parts, only Service and Admin. I said I was willing to give anything a try and am a quick learner and might be able to do work experience at David Evans and learn parts as Errol said he would teach me.

Latest posts