Australian Talk.

Help Support CattleToday:

Last weeks Country Life had front page headlines to the effect "Relief In Sight" with regards to that last cyclone. They sure got Foot In The Mouth Disease. Poor Jilleroo has gone to ground and I don't blame her. I would have a lot of trouble talking about it.
The two forecasters in The Land this week are being a little optimistic. The long range reckons that everything should be in favour of a bit of rain however it is the large high out in the Tasman sea ridging up the coast that is blocking any weather. He does say though that it is rare for the highs to persist out there getting into February. The other bloke who looks at isobars is talking about a monsoon trough coming down from the north through the centre and picking up with a trough coming from the south and dropping a bit of rain out in the western areas. We can just sit back and hope.
Things have dried out here again but the grass is not as burnt off as it was after Xmas and I feel if we got some rain it would respond better.
I had the cows in this week and branded a few calves that I will be selling at the end of March. I also preg tested all the cows bar about 4 late ones and all seem to be well in calf. One of my good cows I was worried about as I am always seeing the bull calves lined up to mount her although the bull is not interested in her. She was well in calf and most likely to the insemination.
Oh and I forgot to mention that on Wednesday arvo I ran over my little foxy Jamie. The rear wheel of the Mahindra went right over her abdomin. I sort of felt a crunchy small bump and didn't think much then I thought maybe the cows that were in the paddock had dug up the track. I looked behind in rear view and could see Jamie way back and she seemed to be moving about so went on back to the house to feed them and she was missing. I thought oh sheet and went back down the track and she wasn't there, then over in the next paddock I saw her cowering in the grass. She seemed basically intact except when I picked her up she was grossly swollen in the lower rear abdomin. The pressure of the wheel had just popped her belly and torn the muscle and now the intestines were just under the skin.
I took her into my friend Kirstin and we got a catheter into her and fluids and some Methadone. Remarkably there does not seem to be anything else broken, the pelvis and ribs and back are all intact.
Thursday arvo we got to operate. I let Kirstin do it, I supervised. These sort of injuries are often unrepairable as by the nature of it the muscle gets torn off their attachments to the pubic bone and leaves nothing to reattach. The muscle is usually shredded. Fortunately for Jamie the muscle tear was mostly longitudinally and only a little off the pelvis so we got reasonably good reattachment and repair.
She has made good recovery although not moving much and as you could imagine massive bruising and tissue damage. Today just after lunch she took her first piece of food and has been eating pretty good, just little pieces of chicken etc frequently.
Hopefully all will be OK but I am very cautious because the nature of the accident, I can't believe that there is not more damage.
Ken

I'm still here Ken, just a lot busier now Cowboy Ken has left. Things have certainly not improved for us, although others have been luckier. Hubby's cousin some 70kms W of Winton is up to 500mm now in the last three months! They're last fall was a week ago, 200mm overnight, a cloudburst. None of their neighbours has received nearly as much but everyone within 50kms of them has had great rain. Oh well, we'll keep on waiting. People suffering the most at the moment are control-maters - some of them are in a real mess. There is no market for cows, other than fat meatworks cows. We're still sourcing M8U so far. Each time they tell us that's the last load but then they ring and say they've found some more. At $15,000 a trailer, its not a cheap exercise. We had a load of irrigated rhodes grass from Atherton to our Winton place and to here this week, and also a full roadtrain to here of Rhodes grass from Rocky. We're mixing copra through the M8U and the cows have dry lick too. We havent been offered any of the free hay which is floating around, wouldnt knock a few bales back.
That big high in the Tasman is making sure we don't get any rain. There's a huge wet season up N just waiting to come down but, oh no, that high won't be letting it. They're making it sound on the TV and radio like we're all committing suicide out here - one or two have but not the numbers that are being quoted - on Macca this morning some fellow was talking about "one a day" - where do they get their info!!
How is little Jamie going Ken? Despite best efforts, hubby has managed to run over a few of our dogs over the years. He ran over a little foxie with the Toyota - I saw it happen - and she was unhurt. You could see her shape in the dirt where the wheel track went over her too. The rest of the dogs were not so lucky...
I saw my first king brown snake in two years yesterday. The arrival of the canetoad here decimated their numbers but they must be making a comeback.
No more cows have died since we vaccinated for botulism (touch wood.)
Son is moving his cows home off agistment and we'll take a few up there to replace them. Even 150 less here would help.
I don't know where this is all going to end - will we have to eventually let the cows die like a lot of people are now doing?
A 100mm of rain would ease the whole situation! And yes, that QCL headline "The rains are here" must have been embarrassing for them...

Hope Jamie makes a full recovery Ken. Foxies are tough little critters. Many moons ago when I was a kid, our foxie was run over twice (front and back wheels) and survived with no obvious ill effects(snake got him the following year though) .

Hang in Jilleroo. Getting very nervous down this way too. Dams are boggy and checking them twice a day in case cattle get stuck. Evaporation is unbelievable and we don't have any underground water.
We would like to sell steers and non essential breeders but markets are shot. When it rains again I think we'll scale back a fair bit -getting beyond a joke with the dry times and bad markets. We are
getting organised to take show cattle to Canberra and Sydney-an expensive hobby but its a break for me and a social event. Poor husband has to stay home and 'hold down the fort" but he may drive down for judging day.

OME- my niece will clip your steers. Would you please phone me (numbers on our angus website) so we can arrange a time etc. We go on Tuesday to Canberra. Did you save me a nice spot in middle of cattle shed so we get the airflow. Don't put me in a corner.... pretty please.

Gee its amazing how things can go from bad to very bad, catastrophic within the space of a couple of days. What little grass we had from the last lot of rain has now just turned to powder. I am giving them 2 days in each paddock and I am stretching it at that. I am glad I started the cows on the cottonseed when I did as they are all used to it now. A good bit of rain will fix things but we are starting to run out of time for much growth.
Jamie is doing well. I forgot to mention that she is 14 yrs old now so did she did well. A tough little thing. If she puts this behind her OK I think she will be around to the high teens.
I would just like to get surprised by one of those storms that creep in the early hours of the morning totally unexpected but that seems unlikely at the moment.
Ken

Well after watching the weather reports and 7 day forecasts religiously for the past 12 months I have finally manage to decipher the true meaning of the % chance of rain category provided by the Bureau of Meteorology . Here it is for your reference.

0% - rarely used, no one wants to put themselves out of a government job.

10% chance of rain. This means the someone at the BOM thinks this is better that putting 0%. Maybe they think some hope is better than none. Especially cruel when it is combined with a forecast of 10-20mm.

20% - this is a very popular forecast, the number 20 sounds so good, a great return on an investment, a great age to be a Uni and meet girls and gals, $20 buys you a good pub meal and beer. Who doesn't love life at 20. You can drive, leave home, surf, get the dole. 20 is a dream number.

30% - supposedly a 1 in 3 chance. This is pure fraud, if I was a trial lawyer I would sue their asses. There is no such thing as 30%. It's a number that is mentioned purely to convince The Land and Country Life that rain is a possibility and to stop writing negative articles about the governments lack of support to rural farms.

40% - 40% is predicted when the BOM has absolute no clue, their computers are down, the I.T department has taken over, it's 5.01pm and the staff are gone. "Let's just put 40% guys", no one will be mad when it doesn't rain, but if it does rain we will just say it was a freak summer storm… when you see 40% you now the BOM staff are on the way to the pub and the I.T department are in charge.

50% Really means 5%, it's a typo, you never ever receive rain every second time they make this prediction NEVER. I would take 1 in 2 odds all day long. That would mean 3-4 days of rain a week around here. DOES NOT HAPPEN.

60% Pointless stat that only exists to make you think the BOM is actually thinking hard about there research and statistics.

70% - means you will likely get just enough rain to annoy the crap out of you. It will leave those spots in the dirt and dust that has been protecting your ute from the sun.

80% this means there is likely rain in the area, you will see it, hear it, and may even smell it, but rest assured you will not see a drop on your property.

90% means you know have a 50% chance of rain, you will buy chocolate, plant oats, spread fertilizer and cancel the BBQ all to be followed by deep depression when the rain doesn't show.

Cheers
Burglar

Burglar I would have to agree at the moment.
I used to say "if it 90% of more than 20 we'll get something". But it didn't count if it was forecast to happen in a few days time, it only became reliable on the day. I used to get excited if it was similar forecast for 2 or more days because that would mean 40mm plus!
But alas, we we're 90% 10-20 last yesterday and I waited all day. About 8.30pm there was thunder and lightning so I raced out to feed my show steers, put on my jacket and all ( that was probably what jinxed me, or maybe when I said ' it probably won't even rain now').
I watch the green and yellow close in on the radar, I listen carefully for the thunder, but nothing.
It looked as though someone put a screen up west of Bowral and the clouds couldn't over, couldn't get round nor could they get under it!
I'm hoping today is a different story, see I'm behind on jobs I wanted done this week so I was planning to go flat out for a bit today get some work. Fingers crossed it a wash out.

Dale they are pretty free with dishing out the 80%'s when about a week out from the event but goes downhill from there.
How is the water hanging out at Braeside.
Ken

Ken, Breaside water is definitely running low. Creek is 75% dry with a few areas still providing some water for the cattle. I may have to bring H27 home to you this week if that is still ok.
Dale

Yeh that's cool Dale, just give us a ring and I'll have the gate unlocked for you and meet you there.
I have stepped up my drought strategy today. I weaned all the bull calves and have them around at the other block now. I brought the yearling heifers home, they look fantastic but will get a bit of feed now up to calving in June. I weaned the commercial calves and they have stayed with the creep feeder and will have the grain mix ad lib up to when I think they are ready to attract bids from the butchers. I have to hang onto them for another 18 days anyhow for a 28day clearance time. I will pick out a few of the commercial cows that are in better condition and sell them at the prime sale, a shame really as they all are pretty good cows and will have early calves but there is no money for PTIC cows.
Finally I have left all the registered heifers on the cows and they will all go in the tin mine next door and get supplemented with cottonseed and a molasses urea lick. My plan is to leave them on their mothers up until I get them out just before calving and let the cows wean them off themselves. They won't be too far off joining then. I will pick out the ones I am going to keep then. I might even join them all and sell them PTIC.
Well that is the plan. I would like to sell more but it is a matter of getting them into a category that is going to bring a little bit of money rather than the give away prices.
Ken

Bahahahahahaha Burglar. When you want rain hubby doesn't take any notice unless it says 100%.

If you don't want rain as you are going to cut, you will check and check and check and nothing. You then go down and cut and come back and it will say rain.

We lost a weaner and a cow. I don't remember telling you that but it was a couple of weeks ago. Different paddocks, different ages, different feed and a very sick looking snake. A neighbour thinks that it might have eaten a baited or more mouse and then wasn't feeling well so couldn't get away from curious cattle. :(

The weaners above the house have figured out they can get out where the dairy came down in that storm a month or so ago. I noticed it before they did!! and wondered why they hadn't been out.

They have eaten all the grass above the house and that is the only place we have to put our herd if we flood. So I really think they will have to go down below the house with the other weaners. There will be too many in that paddock then but we will just have to up the hay.

We haven't made any more hay for a month or so. It is too expensive to irrigate so we just have to wait for rain. They keep saying 1 - 5 mm every day and we get nothing. I just checked the BOM and they say 10 - 20 mm on Wednesday and Thursday, but only 80 and 90% so that probably means nothing by the time it gets to the day. Sigh.

Jilleroo it is so sad reading your posts. I wish you get a lot of rain.

Thanks for the wishes Suzi and everyone. No rain here yet - but there's good rain in the area. We had a big morning putting out hay to all the cattle to fill them up before the rain. Hubby went one way and I went the other. It poured on me briefly, enough that I had to unhitch the big long trailer and leave it behind...but then it stopped!
This is our big chance - some folk just S of us have already had 70mm but it fizzles before it gets to us. Hoping for a huge downpour overnight - most of our cows are strong enough to stand it. Bring it on Huey!!

My father always said " send it down Huey" so hope you are under it this time Jilleroo. Looks positive at least. We had 27 mm which is lovely but no runoff- maybe next time. Loved your % rain blurb, Burglar-sent it to some friends. Sounded quite accurate to me and funny to boot.

Huey snubbed us once again. Huge rain just nearby, over 125mm for some people. 10mm here. We can't believe it!
The phone's been running hot all morning with folk ringing to see how much we had - nada. Hubby is out uncovering all the M8U again and we'll do another hay run later. Trouble is we're running out of hay again and would dearly love not to have to get another roadtrain full. 20mm at our northern place, 10mm on our agistment cows. It wouldve been good to get a decent fall to get the grass going so if it does pour for a few days the cows have something to eat.

Still no rain. Plenty more in the district though. It is exactly a year tonight that we heard the last heavy rain on our roof - a long time between drinks.

:( Very sorry to hear jilleroo. I so hope you get some soon surely it cant be too far away. Im hearing late march theres a heap coming so fingers crossed! Havinago

Gosh jilleroo, that is brutal. I hope you get some rain soon. I can't imagine how tough that must be on you.

burglar":1bs68eje said:
Gosh jilleroo, that is brutal. I hope you get some rain soon. I can't imagine how tough that must be on you.
I can. Last night Dale got 16 mm, Mario got 34 mm and I got .5 mm. Oh well that's how it is. They are forecasting some rain tonight but when you here the forecaster talk they keep mentioning west of Goondiwindi or Roma.
Ken

I did some travelling yesterday. It showered all morning at Eagleby. It rained at Rochedale, It rained at Inala, there were a few spots on the windscreen at Beaudesert and absolutely nada at home.

Missed it all again, lots of people north south east and west of us crowing about big falls last night. A total of 10mm here.
What do we do now? The cows look shocking after the drizzle, we're nearly out of hay and molasses again, only a couple of days left.

Latest posts