Australian Talk.

Help Support CattleToday:

Belated happy new year to all! I had a very busy December and finally got down to the block around new years. Couldn't believe how much things had dried out. The back dam was very low and very green. The bull we had leased had gotten into the neighbors place. Hopefully because all our cows are bred. Had a job getting him back. He'd bunched up with a mob of very flighty brahman cross cows who would bolt when you got within 50 m of them.

Burglar
Congratulations on your conception rate. You've obviously got a good fertile bull there. We're planning on using those blood tests to preg check our cows in a month or so. Sounds way simpler than rectal palping.

Jillaroo
Hats off to your perseverence and positive attitude. Fingers crossed for some relief in both temperature and moisture.

Andrew

Andrew, happy new year to you too....I read your post in a thread above and it reinforced our view that the dry spell we're going through at the moment is not the end of the world. The family is well and happy, that's the important thing.

There was some great falls in the west overnight but we didn't receive anything at all here. The biggest fall I've heard of is 240mm in 4 hours at Oma Station west of Isisford. The homestead is on an island and they're lamenting the fate of their drought-stricken cows - one would suspect many would be bogged or drowned. Another place had 125mm. Quite a few had 50-100mm in a scattering from Blackall right through to west and south of Winton and Longreach. We're hoping our most western place had 50mm but our son uses that block and its no relief for us. Our northern place had 15mm which only serves to do more damage. Anyway, great to see it around. At least its cooler but still hot enough and humid too.

We're sure our dead cows are from mould on the black grass due to small falls of rain. I guess that's botulism. Ken, would the vaccine be good enough to stop that? We've got nowhere to shift the cows to of course.

One of my pony mares is very lame, have got her locked in a stall. Think she must've copped a kick at the feeder but can't find any swelling or heat.

Cowboy Ken is still here for another two weeks! This is why I'm able to be in the office instead of feeding hay of course!
The station in the gulf is yet to receive rain and don't want him until the end of January now so that's good luck for us.

Jilleroo

Good to hear somepeople are getting relief out your way. Hopefully not long til your turn. I'm curious about your comment that 15mm would make things worse. I know it wont go far but how does it make it worse than no precipitation?

Andrew

Andrew, we have very little leaf on the grass, only hard black stubble that the cows chew on. The rain only serves to rot that some more and also causes the mould to grow which can cause botulism. Nothing around tonight in the way of rain so far.

At least something is happening Jilleroo, not like it has been, with nothing. We have had a bit of easterly drizzle the last couple of days which we haven't had for sometime. We don't get much rain out of it but with being overcast and cooler and the surface constantly dampened we get a bit of freshening up.
The mould on the grass would be different to botulism which they get from licking/chewing bones etc. The mould would be a fungus of some sort. Fungus can produce some potent toxins, many affect the liver and will cause the cells lining the biliary system to swell up and cause an obstruction of the bile and the cows get very jaundiced. If you find a fresh deadun have a good look at the whites of the eye for yellowing.
Don't discount the hoof with that pony Jilleroo. Get some pincers and squeeze around the edges and then get something a bit wider and squeeze across the heals and heal to opposite side of frog and if you find nothing go back and try again. Close to 90% of lamenesses on unridden horses will be in the hoof. If you find soreness get a knife and pair down on any cracks or crevices especially along the white line until you get a dead end or better still hit some puss or fluid.
Ken

2mm last night. Hubby left the hose on to the tank which I didn't go near for 2 days as I was trying not to use it to save water sigh, so now it is nearly empty.

Sim was soooo naughty yesterday not a foot right from before I went to get him. This morning a totally different horse and not a foot wrong. So much so that I didn't do much with him so hopefully he will be good again tomorrow.

The BOM maka mistaka and instead of max of possible 15mm over 2 days we ended up with 54mm. I do feel very bad mentioning this Jilleroo- I am so sorry that you can't get under some rain. The conditions in your region are dire.
We didn't get any runoff into dams but have more housewater so I don't feel as guilty using the dishwasher. Tattooed angus heifers which hopefully will get trucked out tomorrow as part of a consignment bound ultimately for China.

That rain you got Diana I think must have filtered through this way on Saturday, we only got 6mm though, there was 12mm at my other block but in town 23mm and I heard today that on other side of town some people got over 40mm. You just gotta have a bit of luck. I went down to Killarney yesterday and saw a turtle on the road hoofing it so good sign and at the Coop they were selling a lot of rodent bait as lots of mice in sheds, I don't know if that is a good or a bad sign but in Brisbane Pam is having a lot of trouble with ants especially shifting a lot of sand around the pavers.
I started the calves off on some creep feed today. The poor 1st calvers used the feeder when they were calves 2 years ago and can't understand why they can't still get into the feed.
I bet it will be good to unload those heifers Diana, both for the money and to get them off the place.
I am starting to look for a load of hay, I wanted to get it before Xmas but held off hoping things would get better but it seems to be getting worse. Looks like the options are $12 a bale for all lucerne or $10 for grassy lucerne, the weight is about 40/ton.
Ken

Diana, I'm only too pleased to hear about your rain, and anyone else's for that matter!
Hubby and I have put the whole cow herd through, updated their botulism vaccination, weaned down as much as possible and branded. After it rains, we can just leave them alone. When we mustered and put them all through, just the two of us, they were so beautiful to handle, I remembered why its worth hanging onto them. Had to pick up a twin calf - an AA cow had a little set of snow white heifers - have put her on Tulip. We're topped up with M8U again, but each time may be the last - no assurances are given. More hay from NSW, a beautiful mix of wheaten and oaten. A roadtrain of irrigated rhodes grass is coming to our northern place this week, things are hitting the wall there now. The last rain we had didnt grow anything, it just nuked the very little dry pickings that were there.
There's some bad stuff happening out here with folk who control mate their cows, especially those who had half a season and a bit of grass through the winter. Most of them started calving Dec and didnt have the cows on a feeding regime other than dry lick and of course now they're in a bad way. Some people have huge mobs of calves they've taken off cows, from newborn to 6 weeks old, and trying to feed them milk. They've had to shoot a lot of the mothers. Others are shooting down-cows and cutting the calves out - unless you're really on the ball and can get enough colostrum for the calf, this is a waste of time. Others are just shooting everything as necessary. At least we're not in this situation (yet) and have established relationships with feed suppliers - for the time being anyway. We were pleased with the condition of our cows when we put them through the yards. We brought about half a dozen poor ones home to feed, the rest were fine and varied from fat to very light but strong enough. One cow calved and prolapsed in the yards, not because she was poor, just a honking big calf. I managed to get it sown back in - she's not grateful though, she's determined to kill me. Other people have been kicked off agistments and need to move cattle that are not really moveable. We've lent our 40 foot trailer to folk to move cows who are not capable of walking up to the top deck of a roadtrain.
On a brighter note, our calving heifers on agistment had 50mm on them last week which was a relief. They were critical.
We also had a shower on our western place which had the rain before, and son is taking the rest of his cows home from agistment (which we pay for him) so that's another relief. The small cattle in the feedlot at Dalby are however a major pain - expensive to keep and worth less each week! Does anyone know of any agistment around the Downs? Any news gratefully received!! Other than that, we try to stay well and happy and encourage others to do the same.

It's good to hear that things are sort of OK Jilleroo and that you are upbeat and staying well. It must have been a massive job running all those cows through on top of the feeding as well. You spend many years getting the cows herd that you want, it would be tragic to have to get rid of them and start again. I guess it would make you have 2nd thoughts about starting again.
Things are going from bad to worse down here. I have the calves on creep now and yesterday I started feeding the cows. I have some cottonseed ordered and Dale and I are going to Warwick this week to pick it up, I'll start them on it when I get it, I'm looking at about 2kg/day, how does that sound Jilleroo. I will finish this rotation of the paddocks and then dump them in the tin mine. I think they should do OK in there with the cottonseed. I probably wont take the calves off them yet but am thinking about it. If things don't improve I think I'll get them off in about 4 weeks after they get pretty established on the creep.
I don't think you would get much in the way of agistment down this way Jilleroo, things are pretty tight. Dale was talking to a fellow that carts a few cows and he reckons that there are a lot of cattle around the place as he is shifting them around at the moment. He reckons that a lot of people hung onto last years calves as the prices were not too flash, well they don't look like being too flash this year. At the Warwick sale last week anything that attracted the butchers sold well but anything that needed a bit put on got punished. The weaner sales will be interesting. I am hoping that the few I sell in a couple of months having been on the creep will interest the butchers. Time will tell.
A bit of cooler weather would make things just a bit more upbeat.
Ken

Ken 2kgs CS a day sounds right for your cows. I don't think we'd be starting again if we lose the cow herd. Toowoomba was a disaster today we heard. We've got some dry cows booked into JBS Townsville to go this weekend and the grid wasnt too bad but its dropped a fair bit since we booked in. I went across today to help a female neighbour who's home alone get an upside down weaner out of a trough. Sometimes my grunt and muscle comes in handy... I just got it into a better position and snigged it out with the vehicle - which she was too nervous to do! I don't think the poor thing will survive though as it had been upside down in the water all night.

Free to good home.
1 x farm manager sick of working with peanut! (And call him a peanut is polite!)
Must provide challenge for enthusiastic young man looking to learn and expand horizons.
Cheap to keep, will eat anything offered and prepared to do all the good jobs and occasional dirty ones :D

I was wondering how a weaner could get upside down in a trough but then I guess when a mob is coming into water the older cows can lift a young one up in the air to get them out of the way. Surprised it wasn't already dead Jilleroo.
So how is it down your way OME, any rain yet? Sounds like you are a bit frustrated with things.
We got 9.5mm last night in a short but sharp storm and then a bit of drizzle overnight. It started raining just before lunch and has been some light but steady stuff and when I looked at 5.00pm there seemed to be about another 15mm there so is at least a start.
Ken

Good to hear about the rain Ken and as you said hopefully just the start. My wife was down at our place doing some painting on Wednesday. She didn't actually check the guage but said it rained quite heavily for about 40 minutes on Wednesday evening. It's amazing the difference in rainfall within a short distance. My Uncle is about 6km as the crow flies north from us on Storm king Dam and whever we compare rainfall measurements there's normally quite a bit of disparity. One day he got 40mm and we got just a sprinkling of a couple of mm.

The forecast for the weekend looks like there may be a little more coming. I'm sure it'll be nothing like the Australia day weekend last year when we had all that flooding.

Andrew

Well we're still hanging in here, waiting to see where the tropical low goes that is in the Coral Sea.....hope inland Qld gets something from it. No doubt big rain will kill a lot of stock but they're going to starve to death anyway, that's the long and short of it. We don't think we'd lose too many cows if we had an enormous monsoonal downpour, like 200mm overnight. Maybe 30 or 40 might bog, no more than that I hope.

Our Winton place had a decent fall on the southern side again. On the northern part of the place we're feeding hay to all stock.
And our agistment cows had another hit so that will keep those heifers and calves poking along for a while longer.
Cowboy Ken heads off for good in another few days - it has to rain before then!!

I hope it rains before we run out of molasses. Our supplier can give us one more load - he has put it away for us. Then that's the finish of it all, that's our Mackay supplier, our Charters Towers one ran out a few weeks ago. Another load of rhodes grass coming from the tablelands later in the week. Last time they came they kindly gave us a 50kgs bag of spuds so that was gratefully received. Our feed options for the cattle will be hay...or hay.....or hay.

Did anyone see the special on the Kinnon family on Channel 7 Sunday arve? They live right near us and are real characters.

As soon as there's some good rain there'll be a mass exodus from the west of cockies going for a holiday. It'll be amazing how they can still scrape together enough for a week at Mooloolaba!

I just looked up the predicted path of the low Jilleroo, and if they are correct, it could be hopefull, however a lot can go wrong between now and then. We will be keeping everything crossed, hoping for you. What are you, a watcher and keep looking up its path or do you sit back and just take what is dished out to you?
The best scenario would be for the roads to be cut and Cowboy Ken to be stuck at your place.
I have been going around looking for Lovegrass to poison and my paddocks are very sad looking. Lots of bare areas with the dead burnt off grass. We need another bit of rain this week to keep it going but once these lows get going the most we can expect is a few showers as the low seems to block any other rain event from coming through, that is unless things come down this way.
In the last week I have had two heifer calves come in season, one born early July the other mid August, both are by the AI bull Equator A241, coincidence or early maturing? I saw the bull get pretty close to the point of no return with the one this morning plus there is a string of bull calves following her around. Looks like a date with some Lutalyse in a couple of weeks. I'll get the bull out later in the week but at the moment I have cottonseed on the back of the truck and I can't leave him here.
Ken

Well Ken we know that the models and forecasts are just probabilities and anything can happen. We keep an eye on it without getting too obsessed! Although things are getting fairly serious....
We had two decks of cows from here killed at JBS Townsville today. They av $885 and some made $1100 so we were pleased.
They were old cows who'd early weaned calves and were slurping molasses. Hubby said they should have been full of $50 notes when they cut them open!
No, we don't want Cowboy Ken stuck here over a big wet - he can't sit still, as bad as hubby.

You have fertile cattle Ken. What would be a normal age for your heifers to start cycling? Years ago my wife and I did a bike ride around Tumbarumba and Holbrook and we drove alongside a paddock full of the most spectacular looking angus heifers. They ran along beside us for ages. We found out subsequently they belonged to the Ardrossan Angus stud where your AI bull is from. They were having a good season then but even so they really stood out as impressive cattle.

Jilleroo that seems like a very good price you got for your cows. They must have been in reasonable condition to draw that sort of money. Normally I've been hearing that drought affected cattle are getting around 30 - 50 c/kg. You've obviously done a good job in keeping them healthy.

I've booked myself in to attend an AI course next weekend in Laidley. I'm looking forward to being able to put some thought into selecting the genetics I want.

Andrew

Andrew, I don't really know for sure but I usually start to see a couple cycling a little later than this. I usually keep the bull in with the cows a bit longer than I should to keep tabs on anything that returns for any reason and to keep them out of my hair but then it does become a problem with the heifers as do the young bull calves, so I do check the heifers a couple of times after I wean them and they all get the shot of Lutalyse. If I had the space I would have two herds, one of cows with bull calves and one with heifers but it is more convenient for me to run them all together to better manage the pasture rotation.
I synchronise the heifers in early September to get an earlier calf so their age will vary from 14mths to 12mths and their weight will usually be over 400kg and I don't have any trouble with them cycling. I do make sure they are on a rising plane of nutrition leading up to it. The earlier calf is to give them a bit more time after calving to go back in calf.
Sounds exciting doing the AI course Andrew, some people get the hang of it straight off, others take a bit of time and practice. The only way to get experience is to do it. It will also take a bit of time to see what protocol suits your routine the best. Each year you get things more organised.
If there is anything I can help you with just give us a hoy. I am not the best inseminator in the world but every year I seem to improve. I am an expert in working out where I am going wrong and improving from there so I do know most of the mistakes or bad habits you can get into.
Ken

Just looked at weatherzone.com.au and have my fingers and toes crossed for you Jilleroo. You are probably not game to hope. Please may the BOM be correct this time.
Good luck with AI course Andrew. Practice sure helps and a positive attitude. Some days I do really well and think I'm 'golden fingers' with great stick rates and other times I'm ready to slit my wrists.
Natural heats work better for me but sometimes I need to sync to save constant heat checking. Lots of variables though- nutrition, heavy lactation, first calvers , semen quality (only learnt recently that not all imported semen is equal- apparently it only has to reach a minimum standard), hot weather and females that don't fit the usual cycling pattern. Its great to be able to select different genetics though and will mean you don't need to keep a bull year round. So go for it.

Latest posts