Australian Talk.

Help Support CattleToday:

Hope you had a nice day for your birthday Ken, I gather you had one recently....remember, old age is a privilege not afforded everybody!
Is your back still going okay Suzie? Both hubby and son have very sore backs at present - well, they pretty much have sore backs all the time.
Older son and his family left this morning after a five day visit. Things were very full on with the kids but lots of cattlework got done as well. We trucked the first calf heifers and their calves off on agistment further north this morning so that's freed up their paddock. The heifers are in good order, in fact the truckies remarked how big they were. Hubby has followed them along and will walk them out to their paddock and put them on water. So I'm having a morning in the office and hopefully will get the BAS ready to lodge. Later this week we'll be trucking 18 decks of the most western cows and calves onto agistment, and then after that there'll be steers, also onto agistment. After I come back from Singapore, we'll start putting the main cow herd through and weaning all the calves we possibly can. What we will do with the calves? We're not sure yet!
I just let the ponies out of the stables back into the paddock, much to their delight. I keep them stabled while the grandkids are here so they are easy to get to ride and muck around with. I was pleased that the grandsons were keen to ride them this time, happy to sit there yakai-ing and big-noting, not so worried about the motorbikes as they usually are!
Younger son and family came across yesterday and, in between cattlework, cooked us all a great camp oven lunch including damper.
Better get on with the BAS....

Thanks for the birthday wishes HD & Jilleroo, it was a good day, took it easy as I do most days.
Jed is making slow progress, we go down to the bull calves each morning and he is at least doing as he is told now without me being on the end of the lead. This morning I had Bo and Jed together as I was bringing the bulls and calves up together, it was a bit of a disaster, both dogs seem to be competing as to who would bite the most so I had to put Jed away. Bo by herself is very good in the yards and seems to be getting better since Jed has been around. I can control her well and everything goes along quietly.
I brought them up to weigh them and give them the 3 day vaccine. The weights of the sale bulls seem to be progressing well, about the rate that I want. I am aiming to get the weight on early and then I can taper off the feed at the end.
We got another 24mm of rain yesterday. Doesn't sound like you got any up your way Jilleroo from that last lot of cloud over the north.
I went around my front paddock to finish off for lovegrass this morning and I don't think I have ever seen the grass so thick so should be good for the cows when they start calving in July.
Ken

Thankfully my back has recovered Jilleroo. I had about 2 weeks off. I still haven't started pilates every day but do go down to my neighbours twice a week and have done it then. It doesn't hurt now to pull out the water hyacinth. I stopped today as it was too hot in the waders, but I would say that if I go down this afternoon or in the morning I should finish getting out the mature plants and then I can just walk around once a day for exercise to get off the computer and out of the house. I am very thankful as I was beginning to think that maybe I would have to to a chiropractor or something, but no time did work, as my back is fairly strong from doing the pilates I just must have overdone it a bit. It didn't hurt at the time. It hurt later when I started to do the water hyacinth and realised it then.

I have done more on my online store and have another link for the actual store for you. I have started to put in pet supplies, (pet food) and vet supplies. It is slow going, but I will slog away at it daily. I will also start a blog that gives away a daily free sample to try and keep people interested.

http://astore.amazon.com/suesstorefabu- ... F8&node=17

The Council cut the grass the other side of the creek on Friday morning and managed to break two wires on the fence and didn't bother to fix it or to tell me. I only knew when my friend arrived to go shopping with and she said that a heifer was out. I fed out round bales and went down and chased them up. That gives me 2 days to fix the fence.

I went down and fixed the fence on Saturday morning after hubby sent me down to plough and I bogged the tractor with the off sets on. I disconnected the off sets and the tractor came out, so I left it, put the tractor away, fixed the fence and started pulling out water hyacinth. The off discs would be easy to get out. I just needed a chain to pull them back, but I left it as I figured the fence and water hyacinth were more of a priority, which hubby didn't.

By the evening hubby was not well. Sunday morning I gave him a lomotil for diarrhoea that he wouldn't take the night before and left to go and have my lesson and visit Mum and Papa. We have told Dalson Park that we will not be supplying them with hay anymore and can't afford the petrol to go there every Sunday for our lessons any more. I also told Mum and Papa we won't be visiting them on a Sunday anymore. Hubby does go there once a night during the week from work and back to work the next morning.

So lets hope my online store takes off and I will be able to afford petrol again.

Suzie, no wonder you can't take hay to DP any more, you wouldn't have room to store it. Your sheds must be full of stock for your on line store.
I went for a good walk around my other block today and the grass is unbelievable. The legume Seradella which I planted years ago has taken off like you wouldn't believe. Also the Digit grass is going very well. I suspect the Super I put out last year might have something to do with the Seradella taking off, it is very hard seeded and can lie dormant for years. The Cocksfoot copped a bit of a hammering from the hot weather we had in January and a lot of clumps are dead, though most are starting to shoot out the side. I think I might delay slashing the Lovegrass until late winter as I think the Cocksfoot might like a bit of protection from the longer stuff during the frosts. I think the heifers are going to do pretty good there over winter.
Ken

No Ken. I don't have to buy the stock, see the stock, handle the stock or do anything with the stock for the online store. I just have to direct people to the site. I get 10% of anything that is bought and I don't have to purchase anything in advance.

Although there was a lot of interest in my canopy chair that I took to the Garden club so I thought I might put a photo up in IGA and say I am selling them, then I can order them afterwards if people are interested.

Same with the roomba as that seems to be cheaper than you can buy them for but I will look into it a bit further first. There is a robotic vaccum for $90.00 where as the roomba is over $300.00. However I have found that the cheaper robotic vacuums only last for 12 months, so the roomba is cheaper in the long run.

I have found a lot of stuff on there, hee hee hee. I guess that is why they make you hand pick so you actually know what is in the store. There are things like wen and proactive that you see over here on the late night adverts and early morning TV and you can't buy individually. On this site you can. I am still setting it up so I haven't tried buying anything from it yet.

Happy belated Birthday from me as well.

I went to Pilates and did water hyacinth on the way back. I stopped before finishing as the sun came out and there was a lot of glare on the water and it was hot in the waders. So still one more session to get rid of the mature plants. LOL which I seem to have been saying for a bit now, but it is getting less and happily yesterday no flowers, so that made me happy.

I have decided that I will walk around with the rake at least daily anyway to get me off the computer and out of the house and today I will feed out some round bales. It is a shame that we are feeding out so early before winter, but it will allow the grass to last a little longer.

Ken, one of our local DPI guys says that frost takes longer to melt in long grass because the shade the grass provides and therefore it is more detrimental. I see the theory but I haven't slashed half a paddock to test it.

I would be interested to get thoughts on this bull I am looking at. I have been considering AI for a while now and I just need a push to get me going. Of course I need to cost it all out to prove the exercise but I think I'm pretty good and making things appear the way I need them to.
http://www.wwsaustralia.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=76&angusK=15&Itemid=69
http://www.selectsiresbeef.com/index.php?option=com_php&Itemid=114&id=56

I'm trying to track down some more info apart from what the semen catalogues provide.
Based on his EBV's I can see that he is low birth, high growth with good carcase attributes. His scrotal EBV lets him down somewhat but I have good fertility in my herd so I am will to take that risk.
I am paid by weight on the rail in the butchers shop so I think this bull could do that for me and at $16 a straw and for use in a commercial only herd, I haven't seen anything else like him.

OME, for $16 he has got a pretty well balanced set of figures, I tend to prefer them with a middle of the range birth weight so as they are not too far behind the starting line but at the lower prices it is hard to get everything that you want, actually it is hard to get everything you want even at the top of the range.
I would say go for it. It is only by making a start that you get your routine worked out. Often you don't get the results that you hoped for but you fine tune and get better each year. Heifers are certainly the easiest to do, they can be synchronised all together and you should expect a reasonable success rate. With the cow herd, AI can spread out your calving a bit. I put the cidrs in so that if I am successfull with the insemination they will calve 3 wks earlier than their last calf but if I miss them and the bull gets them on the next cycle then their calf won't be any later. I think how you go about it all depends on how much time you have, the facilities as having room to keep them away from the bull etc, but these are things that you really only work out by doing it.
Have you had a look at the Agrigene Edge catalogue. They often have some of the top selling young bulls for about $12. They change each year. Sometime you have to ring them up and hassle them as they get a bit slack at putting them on their website.
Ken

Those are my thoughts exactly Ken.
I made some enquiries and found That new standard has been used a bit commercially here and the US with aus calves hitting the ground this year. I've also started tracking down the Agri gene edge sires, all they can say so far is that a Merridale bull will be one of them.
I was just doing some dreaming on realestate.com.au and found 1200 ac of land for what seemed a very good price on Springdale road 55k from Stanthorpe. Just dreaming for now but I would like to do things my way one day and only really be answerable to the wife haha.

I'm watching a documentary right now on Australia's paleontological history. I gotta say, you all had some really neat creatures, reefs, soils, etc.

A weekend off for us as we aren't going to Dalson Park on Sundays. It actually feels like a mini Holiday. We ended up going to a Clearance Sale yesterday that started at 10am and we didn't even know it was on until 9.30 am.

Hubby was going to bid on a few things, however the guy doing the Saturday shift at his work kept ringing him for help, just as those things came up for bid so he would leave the group to talk to him and didn't get to bid.

He did get a bundle of steel for $350.00 that he said was worth about $1,000.00 new so he was very happy with that. It looks new. It will be for a 'lean to' that he is going to put on the tractor shed with the concrete floor. But he has to finish the cattle yard first.

A knock on the door just on dark to say that there were 2 beasts out on the road. It is getting a lot cooler. I took my lovely warm dressing gown off to answer the door. But I was still wearing my long furry ugh boots.

I raced out and fed out 4 round bales, but it was now dark. I grabbed a torch and my big brown warm jacket and drove down in the car.

The cattle were all lying down ready for bed except the two that were out, so I did feel mean but I had to get them up and send them through the creek up to the house. LOL they didn't believe me at first so I had to do a bit of yelling and jumping and clapping to get them moving, but once they were moving I didn't have to do any more.

I tested the fence and nada no electricity going through it at all. I have 2 days to fix the fence with feeding out the round bales so I am just waiting for the air to warm up a bit so as I am not breathing in cold air. It is 6.25am now so at the moment it doesn't take long for the day to warm up at all.

Going back to the car I ended up in water. I did spray my ugh boots with water proofing but it would have been last winter now. Happily nothing came through the boots so I was VERY happy with that.

The GOOD news is that I have finished pulling out the mature water hyacinth. PHEW! So as long as I walk around once a week I will be able to keep it easily under control.

OME, Springdale is on the western side of town, it tends to be traprock country out there, good for sheep but cattle are also kept as well. I was talking to a mate of mine a couple of weeks ago, him and his father did a lot of cropping mostly beans, they were looking at branching out into a good grazing block and were talking to the bank manager a bit. The bank manager kept saying to them not to discount the traprock country west of town. So even though it is a bit drier looking it must be fairly reliable. I think the dry feed stands up pretty well and hangs on into the next summer until the rain comes. Here the feed tends to fall over by the end of winter and you are relying on spring rain to get things going. Greg and his father never ended up buying anything, his father had a bad accident campdrafting, was in a coma for several weeks and was unable to continue farming.
Hey OME, has your wife had the baby yet?
Suzie, was it a good thing or bad thing that hubby was unable to bid on everything he wanted to?
Things are starting to cool down a bit, I've had the wood cooking stove going of a night for a few weeks now, I have been using it to boil up some barley for the bulls plus I let it heat the hot water. Last night I got the wood heater going as well and things got a bit toasty.
I bought another cow last week, I'll try and get a photo of her soon.
Tomorrow morning I have a truck coming with 4 ton of the bull custom mix to pump into my silo so we will see how it goes.
Ken

He is pretty sensible Ken. He was going to bid on a very large dehorner, but it turns out that our friends have one and said we can borrow theirs if we even need it. Another was a back rub which he knows how much full price is so he wouldn't go over half. He paid for the steel from his own bank account, now the joint one so it was no skin off my nose!!!!

Not true with what I spent today!!!

Hubby took me to the movies yesterday. We went and saw the latest Die Hard. Boy I wonder how many cars they used to make that movie!!!

I stayed the night at Mum's and after dropping hubby off at his work this morning I went shopping at Browns Plains which is a major shopping Centre compared to here.

I picked up a Bellini Master Kitchen Appliance for $259.00 down from $399.00 and came with a free Bellini Scale.

Lol it actually cost me a lot more than that as I went shopping. I bought hubby a pair of pyjamas, underwear and socks and I got 2 tracky dacks for me with it coming into winter and me not fitting into the ones I have. That came to over $50.00 worth.

I also bought some stuff at Crazy Clarks which came over to over $20.00 worth, one was paws slipper with claws!!!! lol a must have of course!!!!

Then into Aldi and picked up cereal, yoghurt and honey and again over $50.00 worth.

Then into Coles on the way out and picked up coconut cooking spray and some healthy flour to make bread and stuff which was quite expensive and again over $50.00 worth.

I am not fit to be let out. I never usually spend money so that is a once off and I will go back to not spending money again.

Oooh sounds like you were a bit extravagant there Suzie.
I've been making some sides for the truck, only 300mm high but will contain bulk stuff such as fertilizer that I get dumped on the back, saves carting planks and improvising the sides. I finished them today that is apart from throwing a bit of paint on them which unless I paint them soon, won't happen.
I'm really looking forward to my calves this year, still a couple of months to go though. They are on my mind when I go to bed each night, don't know if they are helping me sleep or keeping me awake.
Ken

Yes I was baaaaad, Ken but $120.00 of it was with gift cards from doing online surveys.

It only took me 2 and half hours to walk around the whole of the water and pull out water hyacinth today and that included going in up to my waist in my waders on the neighbours property for the laggon to get some mature ones that they hadn't got yet. So I think it is now officially under control.

There are only 2 plants that I know of that have not been gotten. One is in the middle of creek caught on a big branch. My rake actually broke today while I was carrying it, so I figure I might tie a lot of baling twine to it and throw it out into the middle of the creek to bring that branch in to get that plant.

The other plant is caught on a wire that the neighbours have put across the laggon. I think that wire might accidentally get detached and they can reattach it once the water hyacinth has been brought in!!!!!!!

Sadly a dead cow in our lagoon this morning. I think she might have been calving. I am very sad. I m not sure who she was as her head was back and I couldn't see her face, but if it is Ridge I will be very sad. It was a cow in the paddock of beasts I wanted to keep.

I have been down the paddock for 5 - 6 hours and she was right near my neighbours house and if she had come to either of us to say she was in trouble or made a different noise we both would have done everything we could have done to help her, but alas now. When down the paddock no beasts near the dam, nobody separate that I could see and nobody in trouble. It must have happened last night as she didn't smell yet. :(

It is Anzac Day today so hubby was home. I called him on my mobile to come and get her and he did as she was near our neighbour's house so we removed her straight away.

A shame about the cow Suzie. What did you do with the body? Sounds like you are the only one around there tackling the hyacinth.
I took my Husqvarna chainsaw to the dealer in town last week to see if they could work out why it wouldn't go. I had been trying to sort it out for several weeks and could get it started but not rev out and would not idle so I thought I'd take it to the experts and get it sorted which is unusual for me. I picked it up last Friday and they told me it was terminal, had cancer, they reckoned it was badly scored in the bore and could not be fixed. I brought it home and took the muffler off and looked in and could not see any damage so I pulled it right down to see this damage, when I undid the bolts that hold the barrel on the base they were only finger tight and thought that may be the problem letting pressure out of the crankcase which 2 strokes need to get the fuel in. I got it completely apart and there was no damage to bore or pistons so put it all back together and put Loctite on those bolts and tensioned them up properly an started it up and now she idles nicely and revs out so I cut firewood with it this arvo. This is the reason I like to do things myself, I usually work things out in the end, it may take time but I get there. I'll go back tomorrow to get some 2 stroke oil and I'll rub his dirty little nose in it. At least he didn't charge me anything to look at it.
Ken

Latest posts