Australian Talk.

Help Support CattleToday:

Bald rock definitely looks very different throughout the day, it was great to have you over today Ken, and thanks for bringing the cows up to the top paddock with such ease. Your cows are very well behaved and peaceful girls. I brought down a bit of lucerne to them at days end and as soon as they saw me lift it out of the ute they came running. So nice to see and very different from the steers I have who are very aggressive. The cows are a wonderful starting herd for us and a cant wait to see the calves that come this winter. Thanks for everything Ken.

Here is a question for everyone.

Gilmandyke Angus, who own the $110k KO Godfather 31 bull, are selling their first PTIC heifers to that bull in a couple of weeks.

Would there be a great demand for these Heifers being they were joined to Godfather? Is there is a premium price paid because of Godfather? and is it justified? Will these calves likely be of great quality and the chance of having a bull calf (the son of Godfather) being finically lucrative?

Thanks Everyone, Ken spoke to me a length about his Stud activity and it was fascinating to here about the strategy involved.

Love to hear everyones thoughts and ideas.

Cheers
Dale

Havinago, I was talking to Dale yesterday about Godfather. With these high price bulls, I think there is a lot of value, publicity in being the highest. Already everyone has forgot the $65000 son of A241 bought at the Booroomooka sale. They were very smart changing the name after purchasing to Godfather, a name like that gets everyones attention as it has yours. Godfather is by a very good bull in TC Aberdeen who was just hitting his straps when he came down with some illness that has prevented him from being collected. Godfather is a son with a good phenotype and good EBV's, a lot of publicity so will be well used as a substitute for Aberdeen, so hopefully the accuracy of his EBV's will go up from here, only time will tell.
The new record holder Irelands Galaxy has a good name, you can't say much about his EBV's or pedigree as they are unknown. He is reliant on his offspring improving those. His phenotype must be outstanding to get the money, but it remains to be seen whether he gets the same attention as Godfather, only time will tell. The new owners may not care less, they may have a lot of use for him on their own cows.
I yarded the cows this morning, sprayed them all for fly, weighed, preg tested the ones I hadn't done earlier and weaned the heifers. The cattle haven't done as well on the green feed as I would have hoped, they are OK but just not as good as they could have been. Every year is differant.
A couple of years ago I had 3 day go right through the cows and I held off spraying them for fly, thinking the cooler weather would come any day and knock off the fly, which it didn't. I vowed then that I would be proactive whenever fly was about and do anything necessary to deal with it.
The biproduct of weaning the heifers is that Jed gets to do a bit of work with them. He is very keen, I allow him to hold them together at the end of the yard, any that try to make a run for it he is straight onto them. However if they get up the yard by themselves he will head them but does not let them get back to the rest, he just wants to hold them by themselves. I'll have to work out a strategy or tomorrow.
Ken

WELL I AM IMPRESSED. Yesterday a friend took me to a Thermomix Party. I had no idea what it was. I have never seen or envisioned one before and I also had no idea that we were going to be fed and all I can say is WOW.

Which of course is what you want to feel when it costs $1,939.00 :( I don't have that.

It milled grain to flour in seconds. Raw sugar to icing sugar in seconds. Vegetables to cut up salad in 2 seconds. It sautes and steams as well, not to mention kneads dough, cooks rice, is a blender - ice took a bit longer.

She made all the food from scratch and fed us. We had sorbet with lime, salad made from raw beetroot and carrot, steamed chicken with steamed vegetables with mustard sauce, bread rolls, custard and ice cream.

I did some research when I arrived home and from Target you can get a Bellini Multi Function Kitchen Machine for $399.00 http://shop.target.com.au/p/bellini-multi-function-kitchen-machine-btmkm510w/P51839055

I already have $60.00 worth of Coles gift cards from doing online surveys. I also have a $20.00 Bunnings Card and a $20.00 Woolworths card that I might be able to sell to my Mum. By continuing to do the online surveys and requesting Coles cards that can be used in Target, I hopefully will have enough by the Boxing Day Sales to get one for free.

I have also free downloaded a book called Nourishing Traditions which goes against a lot of what Doctors say. I am up to about Page 3 at the moment.

I don't know Suzie, those gadgets look good when a salesperson is demonstrating them. It is often hard to stay motivated and use them.
Jed has been going good, he keeps the heifers in a real tight group. I can walk through them and sit on the fence the other side and he holds them to me. It just seems natural for him to be working the opposite side to me. Only problem is if we want to move forward, I have to drive them harder than he is holding them. I have to work out the next strategy now.
I have taken the heifers around to the other block now. Tomorrow I wean the bull calves. Monday I take 8 cull cows to Warwick and that will be it for a while, I can then settle into a more normal routine with feeding the bulls.
Ken

Ken, the strategy with Jed is for you to go in front of the cattle and let him push them to you. That is what he is trying to do. Takes practice and he needs to know to 'sit' and 'stay' while you walk or drive ahead to gate or yards. The call to him to 'walk up' or 'push up' (whatever you want to teach him) and he should move stock towards you.

Had 9 days at Sydney Show and still recovering. Didn't realize how tiring it was- must have been running on adrenalin. It was very humid and hot which was hard on humans and cattle. Won a first, third,fourth and two Highly Commended in big classes. Sold our bull for $7,000 (second highest price for bulls although I feel he was worth more) and $5,500 for the heifer (good price I thought).
Yes OME, Corey is a very nice person. Semen from Galaxy is for sale already. I'll wait to see what his progeny are like next year (calves due this spring at Irelands). Phenotypically I much prefer him over Godfather who has good EBVs but the EBVs don't always result in a superior animal. No doubt people will spend a lot on his progeny because of the publicity last year.

Burglar, the higher prices paid are often associated with a stud prefix and the buyer of said progeny won't usually command a premium when selling the next generation of offspring ( a bit like like the value of a car dropping as one drives it out of the sales yard).

Thanks Diana for that info. I have been trying to get the heifers to follow me but they are now content to stay in a little ball and not move. I start on the bull calves this arvo, they might be more free flowing, at least initially. It is interesting, a lot of thought going into the training between sessions to achieve an outcome. I must admit though he is not very obedient. He will sit when told to up to a certain distance and will stay when I am a fair way away. He is very stubborn about coming. I have had him dragging a light lead when in the yard. There is no hope of calling him back when he is onto them so I need the lead.
That was a nice price for the bull but like you I would have thought he might have brought a bit more. How did Ben Hill go with his? It is certainly a tough business selling bulls, the paddock sales have a ceiling. It is difficult to get that premium for the better bulls unless as you say you have the right stud prefix and then they get there by spending a small fortune on promotion. I think with our sale this year things will be pretty tough, anyhow I enjoy getting the bulls up to the mark and seeing the final product.
Started raining here, that is why I am in the house now typing this.
Ken

Thanks Ken and Diana for the insight, it's amazing to see the stud cattle attract such large prices. I will stick to the commercial side for a while, might take a look at a few stud sales over the next months and start the learning process. Very happy with the cows Ken brought over, they are very friendly and look so strong and healthy.

Bit of rain up our way today is nice.

Dale

Hubby ploughed our first paddock yesterday morning and then we went to visit my Mum and his Dad and stayed the night.

We are home now and it is raining so I am playing on the net and he is having a rest.

He wanted to sort the cattle in the morning, but if the yards are 'mud' we probably won't.

I can hear the tank next to the house over flowing again!!!

I've been a bit busy of late, feeding the weaners morning and night and handling them sure eats up a bit of time. I took some cull cows down to Warwick on Monday, they all had something wrong with them, but they didn't sell too bad. A baldy with a cancer eye only brought and a very old small cow only brought 70c but worked out to $300 each so better than burying in the paddock. The others brought around $700.
I'll keep locking the calves up of a night for another week, especially the heifers as I want them well trained to run into the yards for when I start inseminating them later in the year.
I am getting an occaisional young cow with 3 day. Fortunately it does not seem to be hitting them too hard and they seem to be getting up and start picking before too long.
Today I spent most of the middle part up the back in the tin mine repairing the southern fence. Several trees down over it. It is very scrubby and hilly in that part a bit hard to get the gear up to where I need it. Very old rusty wire and rotten split posts. Not a lot of fun.
I'll put the cows in there next week.
Ken

I'm off to the sale today to try to buy some cattle. I would like 3 in 1 units but I really need numbers to get the grass under control so I'm going to have to shop around. Once I get the place right again I've got about 6 or so cows with badly cracked feet that might go.
They are price and have bred fantastic calves in the past but they get so lame at times. I'm going to try to get the weight off them and see if that makes them more comfortable. My NBar from last year has a small crack in 1 claw on each front foot. I'm going to have to get his feet trimmed and see how they go, he's not lame yet but I worry that it's only a matter of time.

Diana, I was wondering if you caught who did well in the Sydney sale? Corey had a heifer that I liked a lot in video on his website, I think she was Ireland's First Lady. And do you know how the bulls sold.

Did you get any cattle at the sale OME? There's plenty for sale up here in Queensland, and going cheap too!
Burglar, you'll do well with the cows you bought from Ken, you're off to a great start.

Life has been very busy here, mustering, branding, weaning, trucking and selling. Prices are going back each week and will probably continue to do so. We're better off than some ppl - for the moment anyway - those who were forced to destock earlier got the best prices probably. We havent started to bite into our main line of cows yet.

We had a few days over sorting up son's herd ready to truck when the calves have healed up from branding. Nothing seems to be able to happen without mum unfortunately so I took my little pup with me and did as I was told. The lead of the cows was fat, the majority was store and there was a small number of extremely poor old cows with little calves. The latter have gone to our other place into a hospital paddock. We carted some dry cows back here to go to sale this week and the main mob is still on cottonseed until they're trucked to agistment. Very hot dry and dusty where we were working each day, with no facilities other than the cattleyards, so little pup spent her time in a small pen at the vehicles. I'd chuck her in the trough in the heat of the day to cool off and feed her a few fresh "prairie oysters". That's the kind of life dog's love luckily! There's a heap of dry grass on the place, the top's not even off it, but its had 20mm for the last six months and the grass has zilch protein of course. We're hoping to get it drought declared in the next week or so. The calves were all in great order, many are by Palgrove bulls.

We were going to be mustering weaning and branding here today but decided hubby had too many catch-up jobs to attend to.
The driller has his rig and other gear here and they'll be back tonight to commence drilling tomorrow. Cross your fingers that there'll be water down the hole please!

Yay my back has recovered. I went down to do the water hyacinth for the first time since the time I tried after bringing the hay up and found that it hurt my back. It is true what they say, it must double every day. Some where HUGE. But none were flowering from where I had done before. Where I hadn't done because I couldn't reach is all out in flower.

I tried to order some waders online this morning, but alas it wouldn't accept my credit card. I have emailed them to call me, but I guess they are not open on a Saturday morning.

With that it will be easy peasy. Not being slow and worrying about where I step, I will take down a holey bucket, put them in that and dump them on the shore.

Yes there was a lot down there, but the difference was that in the 5 hours I nearly did the whole of one side of this side of the water down the paddock and came back up and did the lagoon and scraped out all near the lagoon that was once again growing in the mud.

Instead of spending 5 hours doing 10 metres and just leaving a gap and having to wait for it to float in overnight to start again. So there is a big difference. 5 hours tomorrow to go down the other side of the water hole. 5 hours again with the waders and it should be very very different. If I can just get my hands on some waders!!!

It is so different here to you Jilleroo. Water from the sky almost daily and I just heard on the News behind us that it is the wettest month for I can't remember what they said as I wasn't really listing. LOL

Hubby worked this morning and is now down ploughing again. Tomorrow we would like to bring up the herd and separate into who we are keeping and who we are selling. Let's just hope it doesn't rain between today and tomorrow so as we don't have yards of mud.

Pam has been here for a couple of days, she came to have a look at some cows with me. We have been very fortunate with the rain, you don't have to travel too far to find some dry areas. We are getting some top ups all the time and things are quite waterlogged.
It certainly sounds like everyone up your way is in survival mode Jilleroo, must be really tough.
I just about have every thing sorted here now, just another couple of bull calves and a freemartin yearling heifer to go to Warwick on Monday.
I hope to get the cows into the tin mine early next week. I have decided to keep the yearling heifers around here so as they don't fall back at all and I will probably run them seperate to the cows this year and even feed them a bit when they calve so as to give them every bit of help to go back in calf early.
Ken

I didn't buy any cattle at the saleyards, the quality low and it was going to be difficult to put a line together so I left my hand in my pocket but I also knew the the Mid West Angus Assoication had cattle on AuctionsPlus on Friday.
So I logged in and laid a few bids down but I was only bidding against myself and I thought that was ridiculous and at the end of the auction the cattle were passed in to me.
So i negotiated a sale will be soon in possession of 22 PTIC heifers from The Meadows Angus, all of which have fetal sexed pregnancies to have heifer calves by Rennylea Edmund E11. Each heifer is sire identified and could be upgrade to the APR register.
I paid well above market rate but they should remain in the herd for years to come and contribute to the building of a stronger herd.
Here is a link to the video of the heifers. https://remote.albertmusic.com/owa/...m/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kFDMVi5Ud6A

I don't think money comes into the equation if you are going to keep the females OME. You have bought 44 females there. With the cost of synchronising and inseminations and the scanning and quality, you would have had to have paid a lot of money to have paid too much. It will be interesting to see how good the sexing turns out. I believe there is always a couple that are wrong, keep us posted, but I think you have done well.
PS the link takes me to a page where I have to log in.
We even had the sun out today and things are starting to dry out a bit.
Ken

Congrats on the purchase OME.

It's raining here now, Ken.

We started separating cattle into sell and keep even after I told hubby it was too late and we shouldn't start on Sunday.
Low and behold a third of the way through we ran out of light and couldn't tell the colour of the cattle.

The next morning he then went to work and to stay at his dad's that night.

So Monday morning I went down and brought out the cattle in the pasture which he didn't do the day before. They broke a fence so I had to come back up to get tools to fix it.
Then I brought up the cattle we hadn't sorted and sorted them through the cattle crush by myself.

Then I brought up the cattle in the keep paddock and sorted out 2 who were in there by mistake.
5 and half hours later I was finished in the heat.

Then I went into town and bought a pair of waders.

So this morning I started at 7am. It is a lot more physical with the waders and I am not up to it. So I had to only do some of the deeper water stuff and then go back to doing it from the shore line.

6 hours today.

I had a phone call today and have been offered an online job. I have set up a website so you can buy things online if you wish. You could start with a free ebook. If you don't have a kindle just google free kindle download and you can read it on your computer.
Then click on books under shopping and put in free. Tom Sawyer is there for free at the moment.

http://suesgalleria.fabulousproductsmal ... ut_us.html
About Us - suesgalleria
suesgalleria.fabulousproductsmall.com

Let me know how you go and I will track and see if I get paid. I have 5 days to pull out if I don't like it.

Those heifers look great OME. Have you heard what there sires are yet?
I have all the cows settled in the tin mine now. I kept the 6 heifers here, unfortunately they won't be calving within a week like OME's heifers, maybe I'll do better with next years.
Things are cooling down a bit during the day but nights are still fairly warm with the cloud cover. So far the buffaloe fly has not reappeared. If the cloud cleared we would start to get some cool nights.
Ken

Latest posts