Auburn Eating Contest @ 56 Days

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks good Mike, I noticed the BR Midland sired bull was above him , that was a shocker to me.

C HOLLAND":r138gy7m said:
Looks good Mike, I noticed the BR Midland sired bull was above him , that was a shocker to me.

A little above him in ADG but a little below him in Feed Efficiency.

Just got off the phone with Lisa. Will ultrasound on 20 Oct.

She thinks the BR son has almost topped out and is putting on heavy fat now. That will slow him down for the next 28 day period.

I like a good race to the end. ;-)

There is a very complicated formula to compute frame score.. most ag schools have simplified it and have a chart which you can adjust for your specific animals exact height and age. The chart I use came from Texas A&M. The Florida 56 day weigh-in is next Tuesday. I know the 28 day is not 56 day but it appears as though they have more bulls(52) more breeds(7) and higher test ADG(3.79) There was one Red Angus that did 6 and a Simme 5.57.

paul swisher":16sqrks4 said:
I know the 28 day is not 56 day but it appears as though they have more bulls(52) more breeds(7) and higher test ADG(3.79) There was one Red Angus that did 6 and a Simme 5.57.

Can you tell us about the Red Angus bull? Who's his sire? Who owns the bull? Thanks!

paul swisher":byaezero said:
I think I gave the wrong address for Florida bull test. try http://flbulltest.ifas.ufl.edu Sorry. mine are the Pinzgauers.

Paul, I'm sure your bulls will do well on test and at the sale.

Dr. Gary Hansen is a good guy to work with and the folks at the sale definitely work hard to make it a success.

I like the ration they fed when I had bulls there a few years ago, (with the citrus pulp) and they have more than adequate facilities.

Good luck!

We had two bulls there in 2003-04 and were very pleased, both with the bulls performance and the staff. I also attended a couple of workshops conducted there which were excellant. I cannot understand why more breeders dont take advantage of bull test. If you sell them you get a good price and if you keep them you get great data at a cost you cannot do yourself.

I just got back from the Auburn Bull Test where I took some heifers for ultrasound.

Helped them run all the bulls through the chute for scanning and then my heifers.

Of course I'm kind of partial to my Char calf #102, but I was completely KNOCKED OUT by the BR Midland son angus calf too.

He is #116 and is by far the best angus calf I have ever seen. You purebred boys don't need to let this one get away! Lisa - the test supervisor - said his dam was the perfect angus cow.

He is thick, wide and a very gentle calf. Again, don't miss this one boys. They are having an open house at the test station soon and you really should go by and take a look. You won't be disapointed.

http://www.albcia.org

MikeC":11gp57h8 said:
He is #116 and is by far the best angus calf I have ever seen. You purebred boys don't need to let this one get away! Lisa - the test supervisor - said his dam was the perfect angus cow.

Would you, please, post the reg # of the "perfect angus cow?" I'd be interested in meeting her.

Frankie":3cl5r1dv said:
MikeC":3cl5r1dv said:

Would you, please, post the reg # of the "perfect angus cow?" I'd be interested in meeting her.

I have no idea what the registration number is but will find out.

When I asked her what the calf's mother was like she told me the cow was very deep, thick and had an excellent set of legs.
That along with a good udder and the other quality traits she spoke highly of sure convinced me. Lisa knows cattle too. She was raised on a hereford farm and has a Phd. in Animal Science/Cattle Genetics.

I had never heard her talk so highly of one individual animal. The cow was probably one that Dr. Henderson donated to Auburn when Twin Valley was up and running.

I'll find out. I suppose you want a picture too? ;-)

I ain't kidding, this calf is extraordinary!

MikeC":1at4hyoi said:
Frankie":1at4hyoi said:
MikeC":1at4hyoi said:

I have no idea what the registration number is but will find out.

When I asked her what the calf's mother was like she told me the cow was very deep, thick and had an excellent set of legs.
That along with a good udder and the other quality traits she spoke highly of sure convinced me. Lisa knows cattle too. She was raised on a hereford farm and has a Phd. in Animal Science/Cattle Genetics.

I had never heard her talk so highly of one individual animal. The cow was probably one that Dr. Henderson donated to Auburn when Twin Valley was up and running.

I'll find out. I suppose you want a picture too? ;-)

What will a calf like this run? For Mike to like an Angus, it must be a pretty nice calf.

CowpokeJ":35hi4b15 said:
What will a calf like this run? For Mike to like an Angus, it must be a pretty nice calf.[/quote]MikeC likes good cattle, period. He may be partial to some, but if they real good he likes em.

la4angus":363a6xun said:
CowpokeJ":363a6xun said:
What will a calf like this run? For Mike to like an Angus, it must be a pretty nice calf.
MikeC likes good cattle, period. He may be partial to some, but if they real good he likes em.[/quote]

I like him and I don't like nothing! :lol:
(Please excuse my poor English)

But I will reserve final decision on the ultrasound scan. If he don't have at least a 16 in ribeye, he's not the bull for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts