The Last Couple Days

Help Support CattleToday:

creekdrive

Reaction score
Spent yesterday at a 4H show. The last couple of years we have sold some steers to some kids who live in a nearby town. They each go to the bank and get a loan for their steer and do all the work themselves. After the sale they go back to the bank and pay off their loans. They each do a market steer & the girl also does a carcass project. We do help them out some by knocking the price of the steer down from market value. We are glad to do it though. They didn't win anything at the show yesterday, but their steers behaved very well for them and looked good.

67aceb04-d726-4b02-8a63-22139dada0c6_zpstjg4jcjg.jpg

a crappy picture - they are the two steers on the right.
The red had a starting weight of 755 lbs (that would've been Nov. 1st I believe) and was 1243 yesterday.
the black had a starting weight of 680 lbs and was 1233 yesterday.
They both could've used a bit more weight to be really finished (especially the red) but they didn't look really out of place. They were happy with them so that's really all that matters. Although the boy said that he was slightly disappointed his steer didn't act up in the ring and drag him around a little like most years haha.

We didn't stick around for the sale to see how much $$ they brought. But hopefully it went well for them!
The other steer the girl had in the carcass project we didn't get to see live (they were slaughtered a month ago) BUT he did win Grand Champion carcass for their club & the division. There wasn't a whole lot of kids with a carcass project (5 total I think). I'm not very knowledgeable on how they do the grading, but He graded AA, Y1 (61%) & had the max number of points for rib eye size. My dad came along for the day, and he worked in a feedlot a lot of years over his life and he seemed to think it was really good results for the amount of time they were fed, so hey we'll take it. The steer was on feed for 179 days.

426A06A5-2F7F-43CC-A220-803F8BACA0B9_zpsovp4nqke.jpg

This picture I took a couple weeks ago actually. Biggest cow on the farm. She is 6 years old and I would not be surprised if she was 2300 lbs or more. That's a little first calf heifer standing in front of her that might weigh 1000 lbs. The cow behind her in the background is also 6 years and is probably 1400-1500 lbs. She's fairly short framed but very thick & wide. Before anyone says it - I know she is too big, and I know she should probably hit the road but she is a pretty good cow and hasn't caused any problems ever. But she is definitely not the most productive...

and I can't get the picture to load - but yesterday before we went to watch the 4H deal we waited on a cow to calve... she had her calf no problem, it was motoring around so we left. Grandpa was over at the house a few hours later and thought he'd check cows while he was here. Phoned us to find out how many fresh calves we should have. Turns out she had twins! Came home about 4:30, got them penned up in a small pen just to be sure they both know where mom is. Probably not necessary as the cow definitely knew she had 2 calves without any help from us, but just to be safe won't hurt to keep them in close quarters for a few days anyway. I guess if she's going to calve late a set of twins kind of makes up for it :D First set we have had all year!