Atv flats

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep":3ipyppzv said:
I remembered some old timers saying oatmeal in a radiator to fix leaks, that was the start of it
wood ash because it's super fine to get the final seal, and antifreeze because I didn't want it to freeze in the winter, not sure if it has added benefits on the sealing side of it compared to water, the glycol may help a little

Nesi, are you sure it's not because the green antifreeze makes it look like slime?

Ken

Texasmark":2tsicc8p said:
Nesikep":2tsicc8p said:
Texasmark":2tsicc8p said:
Very interesting. How did you come up with a concoction like that? Did you test it before you filled your tires? How did you fill them? How long it been in there?
the riding mower I tried it on was done a year ago, badly weathered tire was leaking out the sidewall.. haven't added air in a year... On the ATV, same deal, did that in January and never added again

Fine, but where did you come up with the recipe? Seems way out in left field to just think it up and it work like you say it does. Just curious. Seems like one heck of a stroke of good thinking/luck. Grin

That is all he had . he checked the fridge, the pantry, the shop and the barn. That is ALL he had and it's 200 miles to civilization. ...they almost starved due to the oatmeal shortage.

wbvs58":1mzrutke said:
Nesikep":1mzrutke said:
I remembered some old timers saying oatmeal in a radiator to fix leaks, that was the start of it
wood ash because it's super fine to get the final seal, and antifreeze because I didn't want it to freeze in the winter, not sure if it has added benefits on the sealing side of it compared to water, the glycol may help a little

Nesi, are you sure it's not because the green antifreeze makes it look like slime?

Ken
trust me, it doesn't look green at all!

I would think Corn starch would work instead of ash too. or in addition to it

What about getting them foam filled.......like you do tractor tires or would that be too much weight?

Banjo":vvzhhgyl said:
What about getting them foam filled.......like you do tractor tires or would that be too much weight?

On the foam filled, I bought some "never go flat" tires for the wheelbarrow and other things around the place including a Hustler Fastrak 44 ZT front tires/wheels. They are hard as nails and if you do as I do and run the least possible air pressure for a ride your back can tolerate, they are not the answer. BTDT

I always wondered if you could fill a 4 wheeler tire with that expanding foam that comes in an aerosol can at Home Depot--used to seal up cracks around windows etc..
I guess you'd have to really be careful how much you put in...... :hide:

greybeard":1jbhynyr said:
I always wondered if you could fill a 4 wheeler tire with that expanding foam that comes in an aerosol can at Home Depot--used to seal up cracks around windows etc..

That's what I use in my wheel barrow, log splitter, hand truck and pressure washer tires. No more flats, but I don't think I'd fill something up with foam that I'd ride. Solid tires don't ride very smooth.

True Grit Farms":3lth82a4 said:
greybeard":3lth82a4 said:

That's what I use in my wheel barrow, log splitter, hand truck and pressure washer tires. No more flats, but I don't think I'd fill something up with foam that I'd ride. Solid tires don't ride very smooth.
That is a factand if (when you tear a tire up so bad you have to replace it you pretty much have to erplace the wheel to. Getting that foam off can be a killer of a job. I suppose if you squirted wd40 in the wheel first it wouldn;t stick to metal and that may make it easier to clean up. Never thought of that at the time.

Banjo":14dor69x said:

My boss told me he tried it once and the ride was so bad you could hardly hang on.

You'll also lose some traction since the tire won't flex.

Latest posts