Atv flats

Help Support CattleToday:

Cross-7

Reaction score
I've tried slime, super seal and etc
Anything out that really works ?

Punctures in ATV tires are a real pain becuase the carcass is so thin. The only thing I've found that's reliable for a puncture are the plugs that have the big mushroom shaped heads. In the tread they aren;t too bad and most of the "better" sealers will work, but side walls the stuff won;t do any good at all.

I have lots of mesquite and the tires have a million holes.
The bigger ones I've plugged with regular string type plugs.
I use it to spray with so I'm always running over thorns.
Slime works for awhile but it seems to get thin and watery after a while and you have to keep putting it in.
A gallon is around 25.00 and I've gone thru gallons of it plus others

Look up a product I see at trade shows its made for ag a roofing , it fills the tire and seals when it's punctured , they demo it with a tire and a drill and it has hundreds of holes in it and still holds air , Iirc it even has a warranty . it ain't cheap tho

M-5":icejw13z said:
Look up a product I see at trade shows its made for ag a roofing , it fills the tire and seals when it's punctured , they demo it with a tire and a drill and it has hundreds of holes in it and still holds air , Iirc it even has a warranty . it ain't cheap tho

That's what I need

Brute 23":2xdq729m said:
Are the oem tires? Buy aftermarket 8 or 10ply tires and slime them. You will have significantly less flats.
Good question. After a few years, I was getting flats just driving through bean stubble with OEM 4 ply tires.

Nesikep":xx35y309 said:
I had a thread a while back called "Tire slime".. I made my own mix, works awesome.. a cup of oatmeal, run through a blender briefly, a cup of wood ash, and 2 cups of used antifreeze..
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=103480

I've tried everything else
Maybe it'll work

Nesikep":18x7tflk said:
I had a thread a while back called "Tire slime".. I made my own mix, works awesome.. a cup of oatmeal, run through a blender briefly, a cup of wood ash, and 2 cups of used antifreeze..

Very interesting. How did you come up with a concoction like that? Did you test it before you filled your tires? How did you fill them? How long it been in there?

Texasmark":12uxrxue said:
Nesikep":12uxrxue said:

Very interesting. How did you come up with a concoction like that? Did you test it before you filled your tires? How did you fill them? How long it been in there?
the riding mower I tried it on was done a year ago, badly weathered tire was leaking out the sidewall.. haven't added air in a year... On the ATV, same deal, did that in January and never added again

Slime works pretty good. I put a huge amount in atv tires.
The slime for tubes does seem to work better in atv tires.
Always mix slime very good. Always take a drive after putting it in. If you get a puncture and know where it is. Park the machine with the puncture down. The slime seems to work better.

Nesikep":3g0ad7z0 said:
Texasmark":3g0ad7z0 said:
Nesikep":3g0ad7z0 said:

the riding mower I tried it on was done a year ago, badly weathered tire was leaking out the sidewall.. haven't added air in a year... On the ATV, same deal, did that in January and never added again

Fine, but where did you come up with the recipe? Seems way out in left field to just think it up and it work like you say it does. Just curious. Seems like one heck of a stroke of good thinking/luck. Grin

I remembered some old timers saying oatmeal in a radiator to fix leaks, that was the start of it
wood ash because it's super fine to get the final seal, and antifreeze because I didn't want it to freeze in the winter, not sure if it has added benefits on the sealing side of it compared to water, the glycol may help a little

Liquid laundry starch is supposed to work pretty good too, but it will freeze.

I use some stuff from MFA that works pretty good. I forget what its called, but it's white and comes in a 5 gallon bucket.

Latest posts