At what weight do you sell your calves?

Help Support CattleToday:

highgrit

Reaction score
I was just discussing this with my wife. We have some 300-400 pound steers and I'm thinking about selling them. There worth $1,285. adv. at 364 pounds. And 500 pound steers are bringing $100. - $150. more. My thinking is I could cut hay off the extra pasture that I'd have and come out ahead. But with spring green up in full gear I'm not sure what to do. Any input and ideas would be appreciated.

I don't think there's a wrong answer, but I'd lean toward selling them now. I've been toying with the idea that if I was to wean early, I would be able to run more cows on the limited amount of pasture I have fenced. By the time they're 6 months old, they eat a lot of grass. And with prices like they are now, it's even more appealing. However, there may be a downside I haven't figured out yet. I'll be curious what others think.

I sell mine when they're about 8 months old, regardless of weight. The only exception I've made in the past is selling them earlier in a dry year to save grass and get them off the cows. That's not saying there's anything wrong with your plan, just answering your question about what I do.

I try to sell at 500 always but I have some im selling in 2 weeks that are probably around350-400lbs. The Hay/Pasture you have really plays an important role in decisions about selling early. I honestly do not see a down side to selling now at those weights.

I seldom keep one past 500 lbs. and most sell in the 400's. Sold one a few weeks ago at 195..little rascal brought over $5.00 a pound. I too like to get them off the cows and off the place and let someone else have them. Give the land and the cows a bit of a break as well.

I generally sell the calves the first week of October. These are February and March calves. I don't do it based on weight but I hope they weigh up really heavy.

A few years ago I think it payed more to keep calves until they were heavier. Now 400 lb calves are bringing crazy $$$$. Part of owning a profitable business is adapting to the market. Next year it may pay to keep them out to 800lb.

highgrit":1uwkaly6 said:
I was just discussing this with my wife. We have some 300-400 pound steers and I'm thinking about selling them. There worth $1,285. adv. at 364 pounds. And 500 pound steers are bringing $100. - $150. more. My thinking is I could cut hay off the extra pasture that I'd have and come out ahead. But with spring green up in full gear I'm not sure what to do. Any input and ideas would be appreciated.
I always have extra grass early in the spring and usually have to buy a few calves to eat it. I cant get my good hay up when it needs to be because of the weather so the extra hay would not help me. An extra $100-$150 a head is pretty good money for keeping them an extra 45-60 days.

I take the cows/heifers age and condition into consideration , For example the heifers /old cows I sell the lighter 300-400 lbs calves . Good young to middle age cows try to sell close to 5wt calves . My 1300-1500 lb cows I leave the calves on much longer 600lbs+

- the sale-barn is 5 min away and I calf year around too

We usually sell them at 6 - 8 months old and most will weight 450 - 650. BCS of the dam determines it a lot of times but we try to get all of ours to 6 months of age.

Lots of buyers for the 400 to 525 weight calves here. Outside of that range, the number of buyers narrows drastically. Those are the weights that make the most money (and stay alive) for the next guy/backgrounder.

i have a bunch of 600 lb calves that i could take in. but i have plently of grass to take them to fall and sell them off at a higher weight. looks like every 100 lbs will bring you about 80 bucks in todays market.. 50 more cows x 200 each is another 10k i'll take.. .

ddd75":1f0n3ur1 said:
i have a bunch of 600 lb calves that i could take in. but i have plently of grass to take them to fall and sell them off at a higher weight. looks like every 100 lbs will bring you about 80 bucks in todays market.. 50 more cows x 200 each is another 10k i'll take.. .
I think what people are saying though is that if you sold those calves and bought 25 more heavy bred cows to run on that extra grass you would make much more than $10,000.

i see.

so selling the calves now. buying back heavy bred at 7-9 months pregnant @ 2500/hd. Hope for may calves out of those.. sell calves around Oct. weighing 400 lbs (hopefully) @ 1,000/hd + sell 4-6 month bred cows back for 2,000/hd.

= 12,500.

might make a little more doing it that way but everything would have to be perfect. adding in transportation costs, time, etc.. i think you'd be in about the same boat as just keeping the calves.

Obviously there are risks either way. One has greater potential, but lose a couple calves or much a shift in the market, and things are going change a lot.

Right now a 400-500 heifer calf is easily worth $100. dollars more than it was in January.
So what do you do?