Ascot and Cowboy

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot":17ex6ewz said:
I've seen every John Wayne western made, many times. His very early westerns, they would show him getting on a horse. His later westerns, you'd see him on the horse, but not mounting the horse. Logically, I deduce that he was not too graceful looking mounting a horse in his later years. Just something I've always picked up on.

I have told a number of people who want to help with cattle that John Wayne doesn't work here. He was a darn good actor but Hollywood's methods of herding cows or riding horses are just wrong. But it isn't their cattle they are herding by yelling and screaming and firing off their guns. And running your horse everywhere you go might look good on film but in reality you would be walking pretty darn soon.

It's not an ascot, a bandana, or a wild rag. It's a scarf....preferably silk. Definitely wrapped twice and tied in a slip knot so you don't get choked out in the middle of a good wreck. A good silk scarf is better than two coats, and everyone that lives in this house keeps one close by this time of year.

I keep one in my possession at all times. It is usually so hot that I use it as a sweat rag but if It's dusty or I am mowing under trees I wrap it around my neck and tie it. Keeps the tree ants out of my shirt.

melking":gwe9c1qe said:
I keep one in my possession at all times. It is usually so hot that I use it as a sweat rag but if It's dusty or I am mowing under trees I wrap it around my neck and tie it. Keeps the tree ants out of my shirt.
I thought I had all forms of pestilence, but you got me.

I have an old Stetson that looks a lot like his, but mine is just crappy looking, it doesn;t have class like his.

Farm Fence Solutions":pv1gad3x said:
It's not an ascot, a bandana, or a wild rag. It's a scarf....preferably silk. Definitely wrapped twice and tied in a slip knot so you don't get choked out in the middle of a good wreck. A good silk scarf is better than two coats, and everyone that lives in this house keeps one close by this time of year.

What it is called depends on what part of the country you are in.

Bigfoot":3m5uin5f said:
I've seen every John Wayne western made, many times. His very early westerns, they would show him getting on a horse. His later westerns, you'd see him on the horse, but not mounting the horse. Logically, I deduce that he was not too graceful looking mounting a horse in his later years. Just something I've always picked up on.
Kirk Douglas was the ""man"""when it came to mounting a horse...

ALACOWMAN":26y7pfth said:
Bigfoot":26y7pfth said:

He was nimble. Ben Johnson sat a horse about as nice as anybody that was on the big screen.

Bigfoot":1o0i8yx8 said:
ALACOWMAN":1o0i8yx8 said:
Bigfoot":1o0i8yx8 said:

He was nimble. Ben Johnson sat a horse about as nice as anybody that was on the big screen.

Ben Johnson. One of my favorite supporting actors. No wonder he sat a horse well. He was a world champion rodeo rider.

Bigfoot":1f2rsd75 said:
ALACOWMAN":1f2rsd75 said:
Bigfoot":1f2rsd75 said:

Sheb Wooley was a good horseman to. Always thought Richard Farnsworth was the example of the cowboy

Bigfoot":2ngrozc3 said:
ALACOWMAN":2ngrozc3 said:
Bigfoot":2ngrozc3 said:

That's a fact. Always enjoyed watching some of the rides he made.

HDRider":33z2yeoy said:
melking":33z2yeoy said:
I thought I had all forms of pestilence, but you got me.

Vicious little bastards bite you over and over.

Dave":bszveswi said:
Bigfoot":bszveswi said:

I have told a number of people who want to help with cattle that John Wayne doesn't work here. He was a darn good actor but Hollywood's methods of herding cows or riding horses are just wrong. But it isn't their cattle they are herding by yelling and screaming and firing off their guns. And running your horse everywhere you go might look good on film but in reality you would be walking pretty darn soon.
I like my bucket trained cows.. I usually don't even need the bucket.. they follow the dirt bike or quad

TennesseeTuxedo":jvt56kda said:
HDRider":jvt56kda said:
TennesseeTuxedo":jvt56kda said:
That's one ugly hat The Duke was wearing right there.
Watch your mouth Penguin. That hat is lucky to be sitting on his head.

I agree, great American, ugly hat though.
No, Jimmy Stewart was a great American.
John Wayne was great at playing 'make believe' and played off the image by pretending to be a great American.
Roy Rogers and Chuck Connors were surprisingly athletic.
But for a flat out cowboy I've always been partial to Slim Pickens.

Son of Butch":mzek7c02 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":mzek7c02 said:
HDRider":mzek7c02 said:
Watch your mouth Penguin. That hat is lucky to be sitting on his head.

I agree, great American, ugly hat though.
No, Jimmy Stewart was a great American.
John Wayne was great at playing 'make believe' and played off the image by pretending to be a great American.
Roy Rogers and Chuck Connors were surprisingly athletic.
But for a flat out cowboy I've always been partial to Slim Pickens.

One of my pastimes, is old movie trivia. You are probably right on John Wayne.

Robert Mitchum:

"John Wayne had four-inch lifts in his shoes. He had the overheads on his boat accommodated to fit him. He had a special roof put in his station wagon. The son of a b* * *h, they probably buried him in his goddamn lifts."

"Sure I was glad to see John Wayne win the Oscar ... I'm always glad to see the fat lady win the Cadillac on TV, too."

Chuck Conners:

American actor, writer and professional basketball and baseball player. He is one of only 12 athletes in the history of American professional sports to have played both Major League Baseball and in the National Basketball Association.

Back to the Real Movie Cowboy, no one holds a candle to Ben Johnson:

American stuntman, world champion rodeo cowboy, and Academy Award-winning actor. The son of a rancher, Johnson arrived in Hollywood to deliver a consignment of horses for a film. He did stunt-double work for several years before breaking into acting through the good offices of John Ford. Tall and laconic, Johnson brought further authenticity to many roles in Westerns with his extraordinary horsemanship.

callmefence":at2s72b7 said:
I carry one everywhere I go. Never know when you might need to rob a bank.

A scarf, bandana, etc. They have many uses. A couple times during AI, I forgot my paper towels. Since I already had the semen in the gun, rather than risk losing it, I pulled the BANDANA out of my pocket and used it to clean the vulva. I figure it will all come out in the wash. :lol:

Latest posts