Ascot and Cowboy

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
As much as cowboys dislike social media, it occurred to me that forums are basically social media. Even tough, manly types like we have here, find meaningless social chatter engaging. Consider the threads like "What are you drinking right now". I was wondering if someone was going to start one like "What are you wearing right now". It got me to thinking about Ascots. Roy Rogers was the kind of wholesome cowboy many Users here aspire to be:

mtt9co.jpg

I am curious, how many on here wear an ascot?

Wild rag in the winter. Resembles what he has on. I tie mine in the front though.

Jogeephus":2sxerppb said:
HDRider":2sxerppb said:
It ain't an "ascot". It is a bandanna.

epitome-of-rugged-masculinity-john-wayne.jpg

Or is it a cravat? Ranchwear is all so confusing.

Joe,

You are being too sophisticated. Let's get this very informative thread back on track and agree to use the more rugged term BANDANA.

This has me wondering, if anybody wears a wild rag. Below 25 degrees, and I break out mine. I wrap mine twice. I never do the one wrap, and dangle in the front.

Bigfoot":2c9ncb0e said:
This has me wondering, if anybody wears a wild rag. Below 25 degrees, and I break out mine. I wrap mine twice. I never do the one wrap, and dangle in the front.

I don't at 25 degrees. But going back to my Montana days, when it hits the teen - subzero mark, I wear a scarf. Not a dress scarf - plain. But it is made of a very soft fabric.

Bright Raven":3g6skxby said:
Jogeephus":3g6skxby said:
HDRider":3g6skxby said:
It ain't an "ascot". It is a bandanna.

epitome-of-rugged-masculinity-john-wayne.jpg

Or is it a cravat? Ranchwear is all so confusing.

Joe,

You are being too sophisticated. Let's get this very informative thread back on track and agree to use the more rugged term BANDANA.

This may not be important to you but it is to the gentlemen ranchers out there who care about their ranch attire. Surely you wouldn't wear a bandana to a breeders sale when it would be more proper to wear a victorian ascot. :lol:

Jogeephus":3g78o77z said:
Surely you wouldn't wear a bandana to a breeders sale when it would be more proper to wear a victorian ascot. :lol:

A real cowboy doesn't know the Victorian Era from a Hereford.

Bright Raven":2q6hvn7q said:
Bigfoot":2q6hvn7q said:

I don't at 25 degrees. But going back to my Montana days, when it hits the teen - subzero mark, I wear a scarf. Not a dress scarf - plain. But it is made of a very soft fabric.

Around your neck or over your head to keep the wind from messing up your "do". :lol2: :hide:

TexasBred":2iixuhi5 said:
Bright Raven":2iixuhi5 said:
Bigfoot":2iixuhi5 said:

Around your neck or over your head to keep the wind from messing up your "do". :lol2: :hide:

Around my neck, the cows don't care how pretty I am as long as I scratch their tailhead.
:hat:

Bigfoot":hjdspa2m said:

I wear a wild rag when it gets down around 15 degrees. The rancher I have been helping here wears one at about 35. Fairly common attire for ranchers and cowboys during the winter in the west. And you are right, if worn properly they are wrapped twice and tied in front.

Bright Raven":2ydzpqm2 said:
Jogeephus":2ydzpqm2 said:
Surely you wouldn't wear a bandana to a breeders sale when it would be more proper to wear a victorian ascot. :lol:

A real cowboy doesn't know the Victorian Era from a Hereford.

Working with cows for a living does not give one the excuse to be uneducated. They do have free time for things other than fightin', skirt chasin', drinkin' and smokin'.

I've seen every John Wayne western made, many times. His very early westerns, they would show him getting on a horse. His later westerns, you'd see him on the horse, but not mounting the horse. Logically, I deduce that he was not too graceful looking mounting a horse in his later years. Just something I've always picked up on.

Bigfoot":yz8rhgde said:
I've seen every John Wayne western made, many times. His very early westerns, they would show him getting on a horse. His later westerns, you'd see him on the horse, but not mounting the horse. Logically, I deduce that he was not too graceful looking mounting a horse in his later years. Just something I've always picked up on.

I'm not too graceful climbing on a 4-wheeler and I'm not nearly as old as Mr. Wayne was in those scenes/movies you mention.

Latest posts