Are the #s OK for BW?

Help Support CattleToday:

His calving ease is below the breed average and BW is above the breed average, that's based on EPDs. His actual BW was 96 lbs

dun

Yea +4.4 is pretty bad. That would be equal to an Angus bull with a birth wt. EPD of +11.2 lbs or a Hereford with a +7.6 birth wt. EPD. I don't know the exact number for the Anguses (typically the lowest birth wt breed), but 97% of the Hereford breed is going to have a lighter birth weight EPD. I think a mature cow can handle it especially given the high calving ease EPD; but he would probably be a nightmare on almost any group of heifers.

I wouldn't use him on heifers or small or even medium cows. Could surprize you though and have normal claves, but would expect monsters 80# plus. The growth would expected to be fantsatic. Just my uneducated opinion.

It all depends on what you are using him on. 90+ lb BW bulls throw a flag in my head for any breed. But that's just me.

How about this one:

http://abs-bs.absglobal.com/beef/simmen ... o=29SM0375

His growth is almost as good, and his maternal and carcass traits are pretty decent too. Not as high accuracy, but with 72 lb actual BW, I would take my chances with this one way before the one you posted. JMO

One issue that needs to be considreed is if your cows are capable of producing the milk to be able to realize those very high WW

dun

El_Putzo":2rpauht4 said:
It all depends on what you are using him on. 90+ lb BW bulls throw a flag in my head for any breed. But that's just me.

How about this one:

http://abs-bs.absglobal.com/beef/simmen ... o=29SM0375

His growth is almost as good, and his maternal and carcass traits are pretty decent too. Not as high accuracy, but with 72 lb actual BW, I would take my chances with this one way before the one you posted. JMO

I am looking for a terminal sire so the maternal but he does have good a growth rate and would be easyer on the moma coming out of the chute.

dun what would be your measure on weather the cows have enough milk for the ww? Shouldent a good British cross British cow have enough milk?

S.R.R.":4bdvrjl1 said:
dun what would be your measure on weather the cows have enough milk for the ww? Shouldent a good British cross British cow have enough milk?

A good british cow that's curretnly weaning high 6 weight and over calves from british bulls would have adequate milk.
Trying to get all of the gusto in one setting is a suckers game. The calves from cows that are capable of supporting that kind of growth will make you money and should breed back ok, the ones that are marginal may very well not breed back and the calves if not well filled out may cost you money. Rangy, raunchy looking calves take a hit at sale time.

dun

I would stay away from Liberty. Had a friend in Ohio breed to him - he was sooo upset with the calving difficulties - he threw the semen left over, out on the ground. Said he wouldn't even give it away.

Legend is a young bull, has good EPD's and good pedigree. ASA recommends bulls with a CE of 10 on heifers of all breeds. Now, he does not have any accuracies, but going on memory, both sides of his pedigree would be easy calving.
And, what Dun is saying, is if your calf has toooo much growth trait, they may "suck your cow inside out" if she can't keep up with that growth. Calf could always be hungry, putting too much stress on the cow, and not growing to his/her frame potential. I haven't ever seen this - but, don't think I have ever had a cow that wasn't giving more than calf needed.

Thanks for the input. A person should almost have to pay for being a member of this board! :D

The BW on the bull is a little high I agree. However, the bull is not the only contributor to BW. Your cows should help bring the BW down unless they all had high BW's themselves. And I agree the bull is probably not suited for medium or small frame cows.

I'd be curious to know the weight of the dam this bull is out of. If she's a 1600 lbs cow, then yes she is going to have a bigger calf. There are lots of factors to consider. And that's just my opinion.

Latest posts