Apparantly tastes change

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
30 some odd years ago I really enjoyed a couple of Brit comedys. The fall and rise of Reginald Perrin, Good Neighbors (It's a Good life), To the manor born, etc. I've been watching them again lately on youtube in the middle of the night. Don;t find them particularly funny any more. Almost afraid to watch F Troop to see if it's as funny now as it was back then

There's somebody down the road from here that built a replica of the F-Troop guard tower in his yard.

I've watched movies I thought were great when I was younger, tv shows, reread books, etc. For some reason they never hold the same amount of water now as they did then. I understand where you're coming from and it's a weird feeling.

Bestoutwest":147d6hsc said:
I've watched movies I thought were great when I was younger, tv shows, reread books, etc. For some reason they never hold the same amount of water now as they did then. I understand where you're coming from and it's a weird feeling.
Two movies and one book are still (to me) as good today as they were years ago. Evil Roy Slade and Charade for movies, Monte Walsh for the book.

dun":2l5ev5xh said:
Bestoutwest":2l5ev5xh said:
Two movies and one book are still (to me) as good today as they were years ago. Evil Roy Slade and Charade for movies, Monte Walsh for the book.

I thought I was the only one to know about Evil Roy Slade let alone like it enough to be one of my favorite.

ga.prime":h3mx53w2 said:
There's somebody down the road from here that built a replica of the F-Troop guard tower in his yard.

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: I've seen that! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Alan":2hx8npek said:
dun":2hx8npek said:
Bestoutwest":2hx8npek said:

I thought I was the only one to know about Evil Roy Slade let alone like it enough to be one of my favorite.
I've got it on a VCR tape. Sadly, no VCR anymore

dun":21nzuor5 said:
I've got it on a VCR tape. Sadly, no VCR anymore

Check out thrift stores. My wife found one for all my old bull riding VHS tapes I had. I think it was $5, came with a remote, too!

I've got a few books that still hold a lot of water, but the ones in high school that were touted as being spectacular just didn't do it for me anymore. To Kill a Mockingbird and The Great Gatsby especially. They're not bad, I've just found better stuff.

Jogeephus":18wbcsh6 said:
ga.prime":18wbcsh6 said:

:lol2: Yeah, it's on the road between Fitzgerald and Tifton or somewhere thereabouts. He did a good job getting it to look just like F-Troop.

dun":3jtienk3 said:
30 some odd years ago I really enjoyed a couple of Brit comedys. The fall and rise of Reginald Perrin, Good Neighbors (It's a Good life), To the manor born, etc. I've been watching them again lately on youtube in the middle of the night. Don;t find them particularly funny any more. Almost afraid to watch F Troop to see if it's as funny now as it was back then

I've always been a big fan of British humor, and some of their dramas.
I can still watch every episode of The Last of the Summer Wine, Keeping up Appearances and To the Manor Born. Also like scifi comedy and watch reruns of Red Dwarf. None were ever meant to be slapstick funny--all operated off the premise of a drier humor, poking fun at each character's own stereotypes. Really evident in 'Summer Wine".

More serious, I like Doc Martin and Foyle's War. Can't stand East Enders or Are You Being Served.
I used to watch All Creatures Great and Small a show based on the writings of a British veterinarian and liked it a lot.

I recently re-read the very first 2 hard back books I ever owned--birthday gifts when I was about 10-12. Swiss Family Robinson and Treasure Island. Just as good as when I first read them.

When I watch old movies, I sense a bit of change. Saw The Big Country not long ago, and oddly found myself kinda pulling for Burl Ive's character Rufus Hannassay and hoped Henry Terrill would be strung to a tall tree.

First book I ever got was John Steinbeck's The Red Pony with illustrations by Wesley Dennis. Still a damn fine story

ga.prime":1kn4l803 said:
Jogeephus":1kn4l803 said:
ga.prime":1kn4l803 said:

:lol2: Yeah, it's on the road between Fitzgerald and Tifton or somewhere thereabouts. He did a good job getting it to look just like F-Troop.
There was also a buffalo in there at one time, I haven't seen it lately though.

JWBrahman":2yya7wn2 said:
First book I ever got was John Steinbeck's The Red Pony with illustrations by Wesley Dennis. Still a be nice fine story

SJB":13sjhw4j said:
The Andy Griffeth Show never gets old.
I thought so too. But 3 hours of it every evening they're starting to rerun them way too often.

Latest posts