anyone watch the NFL draft?

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard":kavrrpj8 said:
Steelers now have a QB without morals, one with no future, and a brand new one without eyebrows.
Josh Dobbs (Tenn) drafted in 4th round.

611852638-e1491321685145.jpg

Supposed to be pretty smart tho.

Yeah I think he majored in rocket science or something like that. I think he has a lot of upside just raw and needs coaching.

wacocowboy":vcncj7jk said:
I like Kizer if he can sit and learn. If the NFL had a minor league Dobbs might be my favorite of the bunch.
He is very raw and needs coaching but he is a nice piece of clay for someone to mold.
Kizer is only 20 yrs old, almost the youngest in the entire draft, he has a lot of upside and could really develop.
Unfortunately Cleveland took him, so what he'll develop into I don't know. He grew up in Ohio, maybe it'll work out.

Davis Webb 6-5 229 with a NFL arm is in the best spot to succeed having been drafted by the NY Giants.
He'll get to sit behind Eli Manning for a year or two while learning and practicing, so he won't be overwhelmed.
He could be heard from in a big way a few years down the line.

Son of Butch":3gztmvll said:
wacocowboy":3gztmvll said:
I like Kizer if he can sit and learn. If the NFL had a minor league Dobbs might be my favorite of the bunch.
He is very raw and needs coaching but he is a nice piece of clay for someone to mold.
Kizer is only 20 yrs old, almost the youngest in the entire draft, he has a lot of upside and could really develop.
Unfortunately Cleveland took him, so what he'll develop into I don't know. He grew up in Ohio, maybe it'll work out.

Davis Webb 6-5 229 with a NFL arm is in the best spot to succeed having been drafted by the NY Giants.
He'll get to sit behind Eli Manning for a year or two while learning and practicing, so he won't be overwhelmed.
AFC North may look completely different in a couple of years, if the Browns' plans work out, and it might honestly be stated that Houston built a Cleveland dynasty one draft pick at a time.

Son of Butch":3avs7vgu said:
wacocowboy":3avs7vgu said:

If Hugh Jackson is given time and Kizer is kept on the bench it could work but I don't trust the Browns owner to do that.

Yeah Webb like Dobbs and Kaaya is in a good place. Webb behind Eli, Dobbs behind Big Ben and Kaaya behind Stafford.

wacocowboy":3r9aaeb5 said:
greybeard":3r9aaeb5 said:
Steelers now have a QB without morals, one with no future, and a brand new one without eyebrows.

Yeah I think he majored in rocket science or something like that. I think he has a lot of upside just raw and needs coaching.

He sure did a lot for UT football while he was here. We're gonna miss him next year. He's a really good kid, so they shouldn't have to worry about any distractions or off the field issues with him. He's smart and has a strong work ethic, so he should pick up the playbook and coaching pretty quickly. If he can improve his accuracy, he's got the mental and physical tools to be a starter when Big Ben decides to call it quits in a year of two.

A.J.":q7v4h7w3 said:
wacocowboy":q7v4h7w3 said:
greybeard":q7v4h7w3 said:

He sure did a lot for UT football while he was here. We're gonna miss him next year. He's a really good kid, so they shouldn't have to worry about any distractions or off the field issues with him. He's smart and has a strong work ethic, so he should pick up the playbook and coaching pretty quickly. If he can improve his accuracy, he's got the mental and physical tools to be a starter when Big Ben decides to call it quits in a year of two.

Yeah I heard several people say he should beat out Landry Jones for the backup spot.

wacocowboy":3sbf1m1z said:
Yeah Webb like Dobbs and Kaaya is in a good place. Webb behind Eli, Dobbs behind Big Ben and Kaaya behind Stafford.

Kizer is behind Osweiller ...oh..wait...

NFL snowflakes? ... Grade inflation? ... The aggregate NFL team drafts were graded above average.

32 teams and the average team draft grade hand out by the "experts" = 3.18 on a scale of 4.0 in other words a B
Only 5 teams averaged a C with the lowest team draft grade average being C- given to the Chicago Bears

Oh well, I guess every team and their fans want to hopefully believe.

I only bothered grading 1 team the Vikings.
Vikings draft picks at the start of the draft were valued at 912 pts
Spielman's trades netted -18 pts (912-18 = 894 pts)
Vikings used the 894 pts to acquired 915 pts worth of player value for net value increase of 3 pts
Turning 912 pts into 912 pts of player value is what they are suppose to do...
Getting 915 pt value from 912 pts is about as average as average gets. Grade C
Guess I'm just a tougher grader than all of the experts that gave the Vikings Grade B - B+

Son of Butch":35ivk1jm said:
NFL snowflakes? ... Grade inflation? ... The aggregate NFL team drafts were graded above average.

32 teams and the average team draft grade hand out by the "experts" = 3.18 on a scale of 4.0 in other words a B
Only 5 teams averaged a C with the lowest team draft grade average being C- given to the Chicago Bears

Oh well, I guess every team and their fans want to hopefully believe.

I only bothered grading 1 team the Vikings.
Vikings draft picks at the start of the draft were valued at 912 pts
Spielman's trades netted -18 pts (912-18 = 894 pts)
Vikings used the 894 pts to acquired 915 pts worth of player value for net value increase of 3 pts
Turning 912 pts into 912 pts of player value is what they are suppose to do...
Getting 915 pt value from 912 pts is about as average as average gets. Grade C
Guess I'm just a tougher grader than all of the experts that gave the Vikings Grade B - B+

All these post draft grades are for ratings or click bait. True grades come out after they have been in the league for 3 full seasons.

wacocowboy":3aj1ffh1 said:
Son of Butch":3aj1ffh1 said:
wacocowboy":3aj1ffh1 said:

If Hugh Jackson is given time and Kizer is kept on the bench it could work but I don't trust the Browns owner to do that.

Read a report this morning saying rookie qb DeShone Kizer has narrowed the gap in Cleveland's qb competition.

"It's true Kizer's ball speed at the NFL combine was measured at 52 compared to 55 for Cody Kessler, but Kizer throws
a better deep ball and his accuracy and touch have improved under Hue Jackson and qb coach David Lee.
Kizer has made the biggest leap in progressing towards starting and has a legitimate shot at being the opening day
starter if his progress continues."

NFL defensive coordinators are not kind when devising defensive schemes to throw at rookie quarterbacks...
If Kizer can handle that kind of defensive pressure at such a young age Cleveland will have made a huge leap in
their progress towards competing for years to come.... or then again it might ruin Kizer's career if he gets fed to the wolves so early in his career.

Son of Butch":1khz09nn said:
wacocowboy":1khz09nn said:
Son of Butch":1khz09nn said:

Read a report this morning saying rookie qb DeShone Kizer has narrowed the gap in Cleveland's qb competition.

"It's true Kizer's ball speed at the NFL combine was measured at 52 compared to 55 for Cody Kessler, but Kizer throws
a better deep ball and his accuracy and touch have improved under Hue Jackson and qb coach David Lee.
Kizer has made the biggest leap in progressing towards starting and has a legitimate shot at being the opening day
starter if his progress continues."

NFL defensive coordinators are not kind when devising defensive schemes to throw at rookie quarterbacks...
If Kizer can handle that kind of defensive pressure at such a young age Cleveland will have made a huge leap in
their progress towards competing for years to come.... or then again it might ruin Kizer's career if he gets fed to the wolves so early in his career.

Looking on the roster not hard for him to pass them up. I still think he needs to sit for awhile. I think he will be better than the guys Houston and KC took.

Son of Butch":u7nhu5tq said:
wacocowboy":u7nhu5tq said:
Son of Butch":u7nhu5tq said:
It is nearly impossible to win a Super Bowl without a franchise QB and highest paid position on the team, so it is not
at all surprising to me.
1st round QBs have the highest success rate of all QBs in the NFL
It's just a 1st round bust gets so much attention and everyone just shrugs their shoulders when a 4th rounder busts out.

It don't surprise me all these teams desperate for a QB reaching like crazy. What I find funny is they let a very deep class slip by last year and reach in a weak class this year.
Next year's QB class has 5 good ones, so they can have a do over
I wasn't against Houston taking Watson, but I think they were targeting Pat Mahomes and panicked when KC drafted him

Nailed it!
As I predicted 1 year ago 5 quarterbacks were drafted in the 1st round this year and I made $50 yesterday betting it
when a buddy offered me a 40/50 bet ($40 if I lost $50 if I won) that only 4 qbs would go in round one.
(Thank You Ozzie Newsome)

5 qbs in round one, only 3rd time ever with the last time in 1999 when Cleveland took Tim Couch #1 overall.
Next prediction: 2 of the 5 will one day make pro bowl just like last time (Donavon McNabb, Dante Culpepper)

Son of Butch":x6f1wom4 said:
5 qbs in round one, only 3rd time ever with the last time in 1999 when Cleveland took Tim Couch #1 overall.
Next prediction: 2 of the 5 will one day make pro bowl just like last time (Donavon McNabb, Dante Culpepper)

Which ones? I'm not sure this was that good of a QB class, just there was a lot of need. I think it's going to be pretty bad in 2-3 years when these guys are the starters.

I also heard that Barkley signed for $31M guaranteed with the Giants. Looks like they'll pay for that one.

1st round picks all receive slotted salary/contracts pre set by the union/league agreement.
Big drop off outside the top ten i.e. pick 11 gets 4 yr contract paying about 3 million less than pick 10.
Whoever the Giants selected at 2 would've gotten that 31 million 4 yr contract with team option for a 5th year.

1. Baker Maysfield gets a 4 yr 33 million contract 23 million guaranteed with 22,185,523 of it due at signing
compare to
Alex Smith Redskins qb 4 yr contact 94 million 71 million guaranteed including 27 million signing bonus

2. Saquan Barkley 4 yr contract $31,647,174 (compare to 49ers new fa/rb Jerick Mckinnon 4 yr 30 million)
Side bet on who will have the better year... Barkley or McKinnon?

NFL teams would pay Big Money for accurate future pro bowl information on the draft choices.
I'll need cash in advance to reveal which 2 of the 5 qbs.
John Gruden said in retrospect he got fired at Tampa Bay because he wasn't smart enough to draft Aaron Rodgers
at 5 instead of running back Cadillac Williams.

You are right about weakness of the draft class, one qb will be average at best and the other 2 disappointments.
5 had measurables good enough to draw round 1 interest, but doesn't mean in 3-4 years if redrafted they would.

Latest posts