Anyone use the back of the truck?

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
Master Cattleman - hah!

All previous years it's been good enough to tag and cut calves when doing the spring working. This morning had two new calves when I rode out with the girls before work. When I get home, we all pile in the truck, and being a master cattleman (Hey, I have a sign that says so), I decided to band and tag both calves in the pasture. Besides both cows are tame moms. I picked the first calf up, and it gave a loud bawl. Mean old #13 (not even his moma) came barreling torwards me. The only thing I could think of doing was to jump in the back (bed) of the truck. So in the back of the truck I banded and tagged the calf, then let him go. Worked so well, I did the same thing for the second calf.

Anyone ever did this? I figure that if I'm gonna play brave and tag/band the calves at birth with my brangus girls, I gotta come up with a smart way. What hurt the most was getting back into the truck and hearing my wife say "So is that how a Master Cattleman does it?"

cypressfarms":33ky7sdh said:
Master Cattleman - hah!

When I get home, we all pile in the truck, and being a master cattleman (Hey, I have a sign that says so), I decided to band and tag both calves in the pasture.

No, we avoid working calves - especially newborn calves - in the pasture because of their tendency to become frightened, take off, and keep running til they drop. It is simply not worth it. Just my thoughts.

Don't drive the truck in the pasture causes dents, thats what I own several tractors for. I tag when I pen, run em down the chute, don't play that tag your it game.

The momas were o.k. as long as they could sniff and see their calf (tailgate was down). But the more I think about it the smarter Caustic's suggestion seems. 2004 Chevy that GMAC says is still theirs for 2 more years: not exactly what I would want an impression of #13's head on.

Yeah, my 2000 Chevy 2500 had a couple of cow dents in it. Looked all over, even tried to get one made, for a bumper sticker that said "Don't Panic, These aren't drunk bumps, they are cow bumps"

Of course my 2005 Chevy 3500, has only been in the pasture with the cows once. My husband drives a 98 1/2 ton, that is what gets to go out in the pasture.

mom

I've done this. I really don't care to, it is waaaay to much work. We have it setup now so I just do them on the way through the corral on the way to the newborn pasture.

I have seen them just take off (like msscamp said) once you let them go. And I've seen cows try to come visit in the truck box too.

cypressfarms":3jt46381 said:
Master Cattleman - hah!

All previous years it's been good enough to tag and cut calves when doing the spring working. This morning had two new calves when I rode out with the girls before work. When I get home, we all pile in the truck, and being a master cattleman (Hey, I have a sign that says so), I decided to band and tag both calves in the pasture. Besides both cows are tame moms. I picked the first calf up, and it gave a loud bawl. Mean old #13 (not even his moma) came barreling torwards me. The only thing I could think of doing was to jump in the back (bed) of the truck. So in the back of the truck I banded and tagged the calf, then let him go. Worked so well, I did the same thing for the second calf.

Anyone ever did this? I figure that if I'm gonna play brave and tag/band the calves at birth with my brangus girls, I gotta come up with a smart way. What hurt the most was getting back into the truck and hearing my wife say "So is that how a Master Cattleman does it?"

Do it that way all the time if the momma is questionable or if one man is doing the cutting. On heifer calves we just tag and they usually won't bawl until you put the tag in, of course by then your done and you let them go, so momma doesn't care about you anymore. On bull calves if momma seems calm and we have two people we work them on the ground, one will hold while the other cuts and both can keep an eye on momma. Of course, if momma gets irate or as I said, there is only one person, we always put the bull calves on the truck to cut and tag. Dad's been doing it this way ever since he had a truck back in the late 60's and never had a cow come on the truck, never had a cow put a dent in the truck either. Now that I've said this, I will knock on wood, or the next one will surely try to climb on the truck. Of course we always use the "farm" truck for this, it's a 89 chevy. We use it to haul alfalfa squares to them every day anyway, so it's always handy.

I do my tagging in the field in front of the cow on the ground. Same with shots, weighing whatever else has to happen. That's why I insist of calm cows. Had a few over the years that wouldn't let me tag in front of them so their calves just never got tagged.
We still have a couple of old ones that give me a hassle but everyone under the age of 5 doesn't stay that isn't good about having their calf worked with. Part of that is having calves that weigh as much as I do and me not being strong enough to lift them into the truck alone. I wish that I could be as strong as a man at work and then turn back into a lady at home. :lol:

AMAZING for a woman !?!?! I ain't carryin' any - let alone 10 ! My hat is off to that ol' gal.

Say - she didn't happen to have a little Skoal in her lip did she ?

My husband always throws the calves into the back of
the truck to band and tag them. He has bad knees and
the thoughts of having a mama cow breathing down his
neck and being unable to get up quickly makes him do
this. Our old '89 Ford has more dents and scrapes on it
than you can count. 90% of them were made by cows.
No. l98 just left for the sale barn....she was responsible
for several of those dents. In fact, she was the same
age as the truck. Adios (and good riddance) old gal.

Just run them through the stall in the barn, mamas complain but see the babies come out the other door and quickly give them the check over.
Had one that I broke out the calf rope to catch...when she took the slack out of the loop it was like a calvary charge when she bellered...every mama on the place along with heifers and steers let me know that they were not happy...quickly got myself into a empty pen with the calf.

well if you ever had a brahman cow standing in the middle of your hood you will think twice about it. my brother inlaw had the bright idea he was gonna take a calf back to the barn in his little dodge D100 not before the moma made pig iron out of it. ;-)

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":39d640vj said:
as a matter of fact she did now mind you she didnt carry all 10 at once. She carried them one at a time. I was skeert of that lady though cuz of that and the fact she might spit tobaccy in my eye.

That tobaccy juice will burn ya' !!! Specially if it gets in the eyes.

Years ago I would throw them in the field. I couldn't of been more than 9 or 10 before I leaned to do it right. I remember not doing it correctly and my Dad getting down there to help. The problem with him helping was I would get snot on the back of my neck. I learned to throw my knee over the calfs leg and hold it in place by myself. I knew I would rather have Dad keeping a check on mamma than helping me. A bunch of years later I don't throw them. I think its still easier to do it in the field. I just can't get my knee in the right place with it in the chute. :lol: I must admit its much easier on my body and a whole lot safer in the chute.

Latest posts