Anyone use backrub from Tractor Supply for fly protection?

Help Support CattleToday:

bcox

Reaction score
Anyone use the backrub sock and solution from Tractor Supply?

Tractor supply is the first place I saw the product.

bcox

Yeeeeyah...and so far, we have no complaints.

Alice

not yet...we don't have a huge number of animals. The rubs, kept drenched, are doing a great job. I can see if one had a lot of animals that doing like we are could be an expense better gotten rid of.

Alice

I use permectrin 2 from Valley Vets, mix it with diesel and put on the rubs. The solution from TSC uses permethrin as its active ingredient but is of very low concentration, you can mix your own stronger and cheaper.

That is where our's came from. We went ahead and bought some more solution there this year, too. The only problem with it is that I tend to brush against it myself and it won't wash out easily. We use it with other methods of fly control like spraying, minerals and cleanliness. My calves like it now. I hung it really low and mad it so that would have to go under it to get to the trough.

Approximatley how often do you need to reapply the solution to the back rubbers?

bcox

bcox":2xg8ek6l said:
Approximatley how often do you need to reapply the solution to the back rubbers?

bcox
When my husband or I notice more than a dozen or so flies on them while we're feeding them, we grab the solution and rewet the rubs. Maybe that's too often, maybe not...I dunno. We hate flies, end of story.

Alice

bcox":1k2xrpgj said:

bcox

I spray ours every week or two with a pump up sprayer.

I have only six heifers and used the pour on and sock. Five black heifers, no problem, red heifer, lose hair on back and tail. I removed the rub and now she's fine. I over exposed them with the rub. Let them under it for a short time and see if flies stop, then remove the rub, and watch and count the number of flies before putting the rub back up. Little Creek

Latest posts