Anyone Interested in Grass Finishing Beef?

Help Support CattleToday:

I agree completely. Out west of seguin my dad's got a ranch, coastal pastures, but knows little about soils and nutrients and how that affects the cattle. If you reap hay every season off of the same pasture over and over and never put cattle in that pasture, the quality of grass and soil there go down the drain, right?
ABSOLUTELY RIGHT! By the same token - just BECAUSE the soil is optimal does not mean that the meat produced ON that soil will be optimal. Better chance - but no guarantees! EVERYTHING that goes into producing a product for a satisfactory eating experience MUST be quintessential or the results are unsatisfactory. This is exactly why the answer to "Adequate and Proper Nutrition" is paramount to a successful Beef operation - and it can be accomplished in a variety of ways, not just one.

By the way - "ORGANIC" Food and Feed is a fine idea - but not the ONLY idea. I worked for a "Health Food Store" in Los Angeles when I was in College, and therefore I am in a position to see both sides of the question. All I can say is, "SHEEESH!" It is about 68.573% Merchandising Hooey - and about 54.846% factual and legitimate reality. Making the total of 123.419% a little out of balance with the truth. The REAL truth about balancing the soil correctly with Natural Organic Matter and REPLACING rather than SUPPLANTING the natural Chemical balance with correct fertilization is hidden somewhere in the 23.419% difference!

This is another example of why I keep hammering and pounding on reading, thinking, and educating yourself on EVERYTHING, rather than listening to every stupid cockamamie and crack-pot rumor that comes across the table! MODERATION IN EVERYTHING!

DOC HARRIS

OK Jeanne":19j0s456 said:
Well, to have excellent quality grass-finished beef you need
to start with the right genetics. If our beef turned out as
bad as the one experienced by Beef11, I suspect we would
not have any repeat customers! And rightfully so. As it
is, some of our customers drive 6 hours one way to get to
the butcher's to pick up their beef...and we have advance
orders at least 6 months ahead of slaughter. I turn people
away every week who inquire about grass-finished beef.....
mostly those that have become informed about the health
benefits (see http://www.eatwild.com). We just can't produce
enough; and only those animals that are not quite good
enough to be breeding stock are put into the beef program.....
so our supply of beef is limited. I refer people to
http://www.oklahomafood.org. That is an organization that I
wish were copied all over this country.

How long does it take to finish them on grass? How old are they when you slaughter them?

in general we take animals to the butcher in Jan-Feb
time frame after they have been on winter oats or rye.
That is usually the time when people are getting their
tax refunds. The animals are usually 18-23 months old
and live weights around 1200 to 1350. In the past we
have had some steers w/too large a frame and they
took longer to finish(24-26 months) and we needed to
sell them in quarters because a half was too big/expensive.

OK Jeanne":19ctnzxd said:
in general we take animals to the butcher in Jan-Feb
time frame after they have been on winter oats or rye.
That is usually the time when people are getting their
tax refunds. The animals are usually 18-23 months old
and live weights around 1200 to 1350. In the past we
have had some steers w/too large a frame and they
took longer to finish(24-26 months) and we needed to
sell them in quarters because a half was too big/expensive.

those numbers you mention are definitely on the money with my brahmans. @ 18 months thier weight is about 1100lbs or so . thats when I usually sell.

Latest posts