Anyone here ever held a public office?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
I have given some thought to running in a few years. I'm sure with the ananimity that we enjoy here, many will not want to answer. I won't even say what office I am considering running for. Just curious if anyone here has ever held a public office.

Toad":2gcbcd8m said:
I currently serve at the local level.

How fitting I knew you would be all over this one :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: stop being shy Governor

I am planning to run for sheriff or school board

Bigfoot":38jbrj67 said:
I have given some thought to running in a few years. I'm sure with the ananimity that we enjoy here, many will not want to answer. I won't even say what office I am considering running for. Just curious if anyone here has ever held a public office.

BF its ok I know you are running for Mayor of Cattle Today

I haven;t but my oldest brother did. He told me if I should ever decide to try to talk to him so he caould talk me out of it.

dun":1njbjbqa said:
I haven;t but my oldest brother did. He told me if I should ever decide to try to talk to him so he caould talk me out of it.

Once was enough for me.
No matter what decision you make you can bet 51% of you constituents are opposed to it.
Now 90% were in favor of it the day before the vote. Secondly your phone will never ring
with a caller of the 49%.
The one office I would never consider is Sheriff I am not sure there is an honest one in Texas.
If he is he will be booted out next election cycle.

Well, I'm sure people could make a worse choice than you!... About the closest to "office" I've ever held is being on the board of directors of a non-profit... which was part performing theater, part pub., and what CB said is about spot on even from my meager experience!

I was on our township council for twelve years. I could have stayed longer but I believe term limits should be observed. Even though there wasn't a formal one I think people will just stay with status quo unless forced to fill a vacancy.

I had an aunt who was in public office, in Ohio. I've been on a BOD for 2 different organizations. My dad served on a town council for a few years as well as a few BOD positions.

CB is right on the mark with his comments.

I got appointed to a zoning board one time...that was a real learning experience. Never ran for any public offices though.

My second closest neighbor is a state rep. He wins by a very large margin at every election (80% or more). He is very conservative. But if you look at his Facebook page you'd think he was hated by everybody. CB is right, the phone only rings, and the Internet post are made by the disgruntled minority. They have the biggest mouths, the most free time, and nothing to lose.

I thought about this before. Where does a person get their knowledge to hold an office? I don't mean that as a put-down on anyone, but just based on myself. I have a college degree and have a little upstairs like everyone else, but I wouldn't feel i would know squat about running a public office. Do other people just pay more attention that I do, or is it easy to fake?

herofan":3p9vq1yp said:
I thought about this before. Where does a person get their knowledge to hold an office? I don't mean that as a put-down on anyone, but just based on myself. I have a college degree and have a little upstairs like everyone else, but I wouldn't feel i would know squat about running a public office. Do other people just pay more attention that I do, or is it easy to fake?

For most local offices, they probably have a secretary that knows the routine, or could at least help you wing it till you got your feet wet. State level offices would be a different story. A background in law may be beneficial.

Ouachita":3qrihs4u said:
My second closest neighbor is a state rep. He wins by a very large margin at every election (80% or more). He is very conservative. But if you look at his Facebook page you'd think he was hated by everybody. CB is right, the phone only rings, and the Internet post are made by the disgruntled minority. They have the biggest mouths, the most free time, and nothing to lose.
When I started writing letters I started by telling the people that I was happy with why I was on their side. I received calls back from every one of them(there weren't very many that I was happy with) in person to thank me for my support and pick my brain on how I saw things.
As much as I hate to say it I even gained some respect for Feinstein as she has personally responded to my criticisms more than a few times and she stands by what she believes.

herofan":2nundpiq said:

We had a guy that worked for us that retired when he could no longer fake it that he knew what he was doing. Next thing I know he was elected to a city council position of a good sized city. In a couple year he was Mayor of that city. He knows nothing about nothing but talks a big game. The secret is having someone under you that knows what to do.

I was nominated for two different Director/Supervisor board positions last fall. Never thought much about it until I received the letters telling me I had won both elections and had to be sworn in. Both are Ag related with regular meetings. I have learned a lot.

herofan":fnbdmwbg said:
I've never been to the first day of college and don't have any other experience in government. When I was 31 I ran against a guy who had been in office 24 years and knew everyone. I went to every meeting and learned everything I could for a year before I ran. Then I knocked doors every evening all summer long and attended every little local fund raiser and high school event I could find. I honestly think I won not because people thought I was knowledgeable but because they could see I really was willing to put in the time and effort.
Since being elected I've found that the two biggest things needed to serve was a good calculator and the ability to look some who is accustomed to getting their way in the eyes and tell them no. So many elected people allow the unelected bureaucrats run the show while they are just a rubber stamp.
So my advice would be to anyone looking to serve would be to first attend enough meetings to have a basic understanding of whats happening. Then after you are elected don't shirk your duty, get in there and spend some time learning about everything.

Latest posts