anyone have any recipes for a homemade protein lick?

Help Support CattleToday:

j&lfarms":159wud1n said:
Wanting to make one to add a little extra protein i usually just buy a block but i thought it may be cheaper to make one home made

Won't be a block or tub but folks down here have fed salt limiter range meal for years. You can mix it anyway you want....one bag of salt, one bag of cottonseed meal gives you a 20% mix. They'll still need vitamins and minerals.

TexasBred":24x0229u said:
j&lfarms":24x0229u said:
Wanting to make one to add a little extra protein i usually just buy a block but i thought it may be cheaper to make one home made

Won't be a block or tub but folks down here have fed salt limiter range meal for years. You can mix it anyway you want....one bag of salt, one bag of cottonseed meal gives you a 20% mix. They'll still need vitamins and minerals.

TB. What if any effect do you see cottonseed meal having on fertility?

Bigfoot":2y7wap8j said:
I like the sound of that. You ever fed it yourself?

Meal and salt?? Yessir. They'll lick it a few times and walk off...but will come back off and on all day. Seldom will consumption exceed 3-4 lbs. due to the high salt content. Just make plenty of water available. ;-) Some folks will also mix 1 salt, 1 CSM and 1 chopped or fine ground corn. Cuts the protein to about 16% but more energy. If you don't have access to CSM you can substitute soybean meal or canola.

I fed it last winter after the drought . Bulls and cows ate it with no problems with fertility . I can put it in a large creep feeder and I dont have to be there every day to feed . I prefer cotton seed cake but most of the winter it's too wet to pour cubes on the ground . I mix mine but its available in the feed store as range mill .

Latest posts