Anyone ever have an animal suffer from heat stress?

Help Support CattleToday:

Highest recorded heat index of 148 degrees in Appleton Wisconsin in 1995 for the lower 48 everything else is bu!!shitshit. Why try to argue with history it makes a person look stupid.

inbredredneck":1p7h6f63 said:
Highest recorded heat index of 148 degrees in Appleton Wisconsin in 1995 for the lower 48 everything else is bu!!shitshit. Why try to argue with history it makes a person look stupid.

Exactly... I would have to guess the OP didn't quit experience the heat he thought (probably humidity in the low 80's and temps in the low to mid 90s) putting the heat index 110-120, which is absolutely normal. Funny how you acknowledged his quoted index of 160, then googled the record to find 160 exceeds it... :bs:

Remember, just because you're inbred and redneck does not make you intelligent! :tiphat:

denvermartinfarms":2ejt0qk8 said:
How did his breathing sound when you first found him?I am thinking more about the change in temps than the heat.but i also have another idea.
Heavy breathing, but not noisy (panting without the mouth open), and he bled from the nose for 24 hours (lightly), which the vet said was from the heat stress on his lungs.

I have had my first experience with beef cattle and heat stress this summer but it was my own d@m fault. Had a yearling bull come down with pink eye, we haven't had a case in 7 years but with the humidity ,rain and heat the face flies were horrid this year and after speaking with my vet and fellow cattlemen in the area I am not the only one that has had a shytty summer with many PE cases.

I brought the bull up and and went to get my meds for him mean while unbeknownst to me ,my other half had locked him in the chute already and the poor fella was in the direct sun ,confined for at least 15 minutes before I came back out to treat him. I got him treated, released the head gate and he stumbled out ,unable to stand . He staggered around for a few minutes and I thought for sure I had just killed my bull but he managed to get himself together and stumbled into the shaded forest where he stood in one place for quite a few hours . I wanted to move him to an area to hose him down but thought it was best not to phisically stress him anymore than he already was. He did fully recover however I learnt a very valuable lesson. Next time work them early in the morn or late at night if I have to work them in an asap situation AND do not let Mr HD put them in the chute until I am ready to go.

It had been hot that day, but it never really bothered me and I was out in it all day, even went for a run that morning so didn't reallly give it much thought, but I do not weigh 1400lbs and was not confined in a metal chute against my will. :bang:

Humidity index for quite a bit of July was around 105°, that day it was 109.48 °, something we hardly ever see in my area .

Heat indext today is 25.36C or 77.74 °f

M.Magis":32f6ct7o said:
inbredredneck":32f6ct7o said:
It will never happen in Ohio in August either.
Well, it did. And in May, and June, and July, maybe once in Sept.
Like hooknline mentioned, that describes 5 months of the year in where I visit in SW Florida I think. Brutal hot every single day, and cattle everywhere in between the condo towns. :D Good cattle too.
It never happened in May, June, July or September. I just can't imagine how a group of people could be so ignorant to the facts.

The only indication I see in this thread of 160 heat index is inbred. Who edited what?

hooknline":35g2zxuy said:
The only indication I see in this thread of 160 heat index is inbred. Who edited what?

Humitity in the high 80's and temps in the high 90's would give you a heat index of 160...

SSGenetics":8jkpol5u said:
inbredredneck":8jkpol5u said:

Exactly... I would have to guess the OP didn't quit experience the heat he thought (probably humidity in the low 80's and temps in the low to mid 90s) putting the heat index 110-120, which is absolutely normal. Funny how you acknowledged his quoted index of 160, then googled the record to find 160 exceeds it... :bs:

Remember, just because you're inbred and redneck does not make you intelligent! :tiphat:
Huh you might want to back track a bit, the matter of heat index has been discussed here before, I had already posted the Appleton Wisconsin temp last year.

SSGenetics":3oympu0a said:
inbredredneck":3oympu0a said:

In the heat of the moment, I did not check the EXACT measurements, but I did look at my weather station to get a ball point figure. However, it HAD NOT been that humid all summer! Almost no rain since the end of May, we had a dry summer this year. Remember, this is just a 10 month old so he was not used to anything other than what he experienced that summer, hot and dry. With all the moisture from rain over that weekend, and a major cool down on Friday, then a rapid increase the next week with humidity from the storm, it was MISERABLE! For everyone. We were not acclimated to it. When I saw the bull at about 4PM, he was breathing heavy but not panting or in distress. Hind sight I should have brought him up any way. Just a few hours later he was down and out.
This thread was not meant to be a debate or argument, I was just asking if anyone had been through this to get a perception on IF he might recover completely and HOW LONG it might take. Obviously by the responses, no one has experienced this.
Thanks for your help though
*edit* Opps, sorry Hillsdown, your post came through the same time I posted. Thanks for telling me your experience. I hope we have just as good as an outcome as you did!

SSGenetics":2k60z49m said:
hooknline":2k60z49m said:

Humitity in the high 80's and temps in the high 90's would give you a heat index of 160...
Yep. Welcome to florida 3 months of the year. I also know that parts of mo also saw similar temps and humidity as did a lot of that region.
But if inbred says it wasn't so, it couldn't be

SSGenetics":wfv781sb said:
pdfangus":wfv781sb said:
you described a spring day around here....
if indeed it was heat related, then it was not the heat but the change in conditions under which he was handled.

X2

I'd be in a world of hurt if I had cattle dropping in those seemingly normal conditions.
I thought his temps were seemingly normal conditions?

hooknline":3gzr4mb5 said:
SSGenetics":3gzr4mb5 said:
hooknline":3gzr4mb5 said:

Yep. Welcome to florida 3 months of the year. I also know that parts of mo also saw similar temps and humidity as did a lot of that region.
But if inbred says it wasn't so, it couldn't be
Hook how can you be so ignorant, I don't keep the records the national weather service does. They will also tell you that you are indeed full of it.

inbredredneck":k70izcpi said:
SSGenetics":k70izcpi said:
pdfangus":k70izcpi said:
you described a spring day around here....
if indeed it was heat related, then it was not the heat but the change in conditions under which he was handled.

X2

I'd be in a world of hurt if I had cattle dropping in those seemingly normal conditions.
I thought his temps were seemingly normal conditions?

After seeing a heat index of 160 quoted (new that couldn't be accurate) I had already assumed he had miss typed, which he admits to doing. The weather he experienced is normal in this part of the country with the average index being 110 for the month of August.

Alright back to the topic... FSR, I can't be of much help. Only heat stress issues I have dealt with were with Sim-angus fall calving cows aborting their pregnancy during an extended heat wave years and years ago. Sorry for the off topic debate! :tiphat:

inbredredneck":2o71et32 said:
hooknline":2o71et32 said:
SSGenetics":2o71et32 said:
Hook how can you be so ignorant, I don't keep the records the national weather service does. They will also tell you that you are indeed full of it.
I don't know or care what the heat indexes are here. I was simply verifying that 3 months of he year we have humidity levels at 85% or above and highs at 90-97
Now, with that said, one has to realize the official temps, winds, and humidity levels are taken at an avergae of 20-30 ft above ground level. In open areas.
My experience says that humidity levels and temps are usually higher at ground level.
But I'm no national weather service either.

hooknline":195gb0k1 said:
already
But I'm no national weather service either.
yep you already proved that to us. Apples to apples they do it the same every where, it is not as hot as you think in Florida even Wisconsin is hotter.

So that's why the snowbirds always leave here during the summer. It's just as hot up north. Someone needs to tell them that

hooknline":2uhwxo7s said:
So that's why the snowbirds always leave here during the summer. It's just as hot up north. Someone needs to tell them that
They don't mind the heat they don't like the cold.

So it's your contention that Wisconsin has the same conditions in the summer as the south does?
Just for clarification purposes of course

Latest posts