Anyone ever have an animal suffer from heat stress?

Help Support CattleToday:

Fire Sweep Ranch

Reaction score
A few weeks ago, after the effects of Hurricane Isaac came through, we had a great warm up. Humidity in the high 80's and temps in the high 90's for two days. We came home around 6:00PM to find a 10 month old bull (already sold, just waiting for his ride to pick him up) laying out flat on his side doing the death paddle :eek:
We immediately started cold water therapy (we are on a well, so the water is COLD!), and got the vet out. The vet was going to be 30 minutes, so we got 40 ml dexamethasone IV in him. Lots of fluid therapy that night, all IV. Long story short, vet did not think he would make it through the night, but if he did, we might pull him through. Well, he did, but he is not normal. The vet came back the next day, more dex and some exceed (antibiotic for secondary infection), and the bull could get up but only for a few minutes and he was dragging his back legs like a cow that has been down from a long labor. He slowly has gotten better, but still drags his back feet at times. It is like his brain is not telling his leg to pick it up higher, so mid-step he rolls his pasterns. He then waits there for a few seconds before he picks it up and puts it underneath him where it belongs.
I sent the money back to the buyer (I will not sell an unsound bull), and we are going to stick it out with him to see if he improves any more. This is one of the nicest bulls we have ever produced, and I hope he fully recovers, but I was wondering if anyone has ever gone through this with an animal? Vet looked at him again today and said we are doing all we can, not sure what his future will be since he has never had one live through it. He is amazed that the bull survived!
It was mostly my fault; 5 days prior we had him pass his breeding soundness exam with flying colors (90% motility and 42 CM testicles - remember he is 10 months old!) so I moved him to a pasture by himself (no trees) to keep him from trying to jump or getting hurt by another animal before he was picked up. And, he was shown all summer so he was used to being under fans and misters in the heat. Learned an expensive lesson with this one!

The only animal i have that suffered heat stress was a clubby roan shorthorn cow that refused leave the pond and is herd quitter.

Mine suffered right up until the point they died. You are very lucky that you had no death loss 160 + heat index is very deadly to any animal. Very surprised you didn't have more cases of heat stroke.

I think the key to yours having that stress was that he was a show animal before you turned him out.. He was used to the lower temps & misting. Dont think he would have stressed as bad if he had been out in it all summer.
Hope he makes a full recovery.

How did his breathing sound when you first found him?I am thinking more about the change in temps than the heat.but i also have another idea.

Taurus":2hikvlrj said:
and is herd quitter.
What is a herd quitter?
The only animal I had suffer from heat was one I had pulled through pneumonia, and she had lung damage.

angie":16jx8yxd said:
Taurus":16jx8yxd said:
and is herd quitter.
What is a herd quitter?
The only animal I had suffer from heat was one I had pulled through pneumonia, and she had lung damage.
It means she don't join the herd as she is a loner. I don't want go looking for her all times when she is not with the herd.

you described a spring day around here....
if indeed it was heat related, then it was not the heat but the change in conditions under which he was handled.

pdfangus":37b0tmwb said:
if indeed it was heat related, then it was not the heat but the change in conditions under which he was handled.

X2

I'd be in a world of hurt if I had cattle dropping in those seemingly normal conditions.

SSGenetics":3v4mfajx said:
pdfangus":3v4mfajx said:

X2

I'd be in a world of hurt if I had cattle dropping in those seemingly normal conditions.

I agree with both of these guys.

Katherine

inbredredneck":2kzm8477 said:
SSGenetics":2kzm8477 said:
inbredredneck":2kzm8477 said:
You people crack me up. Normal spring day. That's funny

Not "spring" but a normal August day, for sure.
Conditions like that won't occur in August either.
Not sure why you would say that? I'm clear up in Ohio and that was almost a normal summer day this year.

[Conditions like that won't occur in August either.[/quote]
Not sure why you would say that? I'm clear up in Ohio and that was almost a normal summer day this year.[/quote]

you have to forgive him for he still dwells in a realm of self righteousness and ignorance...

this year in june we were bouncing around 105 and 110 with humidity in the nineties every day and no rain at all in late may or early June.

hottest driest time of the year was when corn was tasseling....corn yields are showing it as well....
July and August here were abnormally cool and rainy and we have the makings of a good bean crop.....

inbredredneck":11kd1z4h said:
It will never happen in Ohio in August either.
Well, it did. And in May, and June, and July, maybe once in Sept.
Like hooknline mentioned, that describes 5 months of the year in where I visit in SW Florida I think. Brutal hot every single day, and cattle everywhere in between the condo towns. :D Good cattle too.

A 247 degree heat index huh pdfangus that is impressive and also impossible but hey you said it happened

inbredredneck":liai93yk said:
A 247 degree heat index huh pdfangus that is impressive and also impossible but hey you said it happened

Well it happened here too.

I haven't got a dog in this fight, BUT I will say this, pdfangus is in a different part of Va than I'm in, and around my part of the state we had numerous days when the temps were 103 to 107 with the humidity ranging from 93% to 96% with many other parts of the state recording the same.

Katherine

Latest posts