Anyone ever grown a giant watemelon?

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
My daughter loves watermelons. This year I bought her some seeds that are supposed to grow melons up to 200 lbs. I was wondering if their are any tips or tricks to getting the bigger varieties to grow BIG. Any advice will be appreciated and used - she wants a monster melon!

My uncle did that once.. grew a 120lb one.. dont ask me how.. he never told me.
But for taste... I always love the crimson sweets....

Limomike":drwu12wh said:
My uncle did that once.. grew a 120lb one.. dont ask me how.. he never told me.
But for taste... I always love the crimson sweets....

Ain't nothing better than the Crimson Sweet. Mine are fixing to start running. Planted some jubilee, black beauty and moon and stars as well. Just gotta figure out a way to grow a monster out of these "monster seeds" I got my daughter. So, far I've been told to put out the equivalent of 1200# of 6-6-12 in their spot. Then as they grow pull off all fruits but one or two. Place the fruit on some cardboard or something to keep it from rotting and possibly put a shade cloth over it to reduce the risk of sun scald. IV drip info is on the way. Should of seen the look on the face of the fella at the hospital when I asked for a "used" IV setup. :)

Like was said, keep it to one melon per vine.

Helps to fertilize with cotton seed meal too. Makes 'em sweet.

Seems like the best watermelons I have ever grown were the ones that grew back volunteer. I had a patch spring up in the backyard where we had been spitting seeds and I just let it take over. Would be walking though it and, wow, melons! I could never grow them that well on purpose.