Anyone Cutting Hay Yet?

Help Support CattleToday:

ERNIBIGB

Reaction score
We cut about 17 acres of ryegrass today. I don't remember ever cutting hay this early but it just did not need to wait any longer. Already falling down and heading out, any later and it would be just straw. Now if we can get it dry enough to roll up. I'm on the southern edge of TN.

If we can get it rolled up it looks like it will turn out close to 100 4x5 rolls and didn't really get much fertilizer due to prices.
Should be good quality if I can save it.

Noticed our neighbors cut some hay this week.

My cows are keeping up with my grass right now. I've got a couple of pastures in reserve that I'm hoping to get some hay off of in the next month or so, but we've got a long way to go....

I cut ryegrass the last two weeks. 27 acres made 88 5X5 rolls. I had to fluff it to get it dry though.

I'm jealous!

We are still feeding hay hopefully we will turn out this week with the warmer temps this weekend. Turnout is over a month later this year compared with last year. I appreciate the extra moisture but the cool temps are keeping the grass from growing.

Haying won't be until July this year. Started the end of May last year.

this spring is cooler than normal.so prolly wont try to cut hay till june 1st.the meadows look like they are growing good though.an hope to get all the hay we need on the 1st cutting.

bigbull338":1ssbbg2f said:
this spring is cooler than normal.so prolly wont try to cut hay till june 1st.the meadows look like they are growing good though.an hope to get all the hay we need on the 1st cutting.

Our spring has been both cooler and hotter then normal. Hard freeze again this morning after a week of lows in the 50-60 range and highs in the 70-80s. Rain just often enough that the fields are too wet to go into but the grass is strating to head already.

dun":xocf3rxh said:
bigbull338":xocf3rxh said:

Our spring has been both cooler and hotter then normal. Hard freeze again this morning after a week of lows in the 50-60 range and highs in the 70-80s. Rain just often enough that the fields are too wet to go into but the grass is strating to head already.

Seems that the grass is starting to head out here too. It is awful short to be heading out and been really wet this spring. Scared hay will be short this year.

I cut 25 acres Friday. I'll probably bale it Tuesday or Wednesday. Its been very dry around here for this time of year. We've gotten about a half inch of rain for April. I hope thats not a sign for things to come....

I've seen three fields cut...non baled yet. Rain in forecast today so it may have to lay there a few more days. Have seen quite a few other places that look to me real close.

Got 3 1/2" rain today. Should be able to start the second cutting in about 4-5 weeks provided the nitrogen I threw out 10 days ago didn't evaporate into thin air :frowns: and we get a little rain the coming weeks. :roll:

We always get our first cutting by mid May, this year has been cool and wet. I just noticed heads couple days ago, the grass is about 2 feet high and we hope to cut it in the next week or 2. Just need to get some dry weather thats a little warmer.

those that think the grass is short and heading, how tall before you usually cut it? The field we are cutting is orchard grass.
donna

ERNIBIGB":3squltmv said:
We cut about 17 acres of ryegrass today. I don't remember ever cutting hay this early but it just did not need to wait any longer. Already falling down and heading out, any later and it would be just straw. Now if we can get it dry enough to roll up. I'm on the southern edge of TN.

If we can get it rolled up it looks like it will turn out close to 100 4x5 rolls and didn't really get much fertilizer due to prices.
Got it rolled and in the barn. It really needed to dry a little more but the weather didn't cooperate.
bananaWrench.gif

Made 105 rolls.

ERNIBIGB":1maaldoz said:
ERNIBIGB":1maaldoz said:

Got it rolled and in the barn. It really needed to dry a little more but the weather didn't cooperate.
bananaWrench.gif

Made 105 rolls.

Don't let the barn burn down. If it was a little wet, I'd check for heating.

My hay is ready, I'm ready, and the weather sucks. Rain in the forecast until late next week. There will be heads in the grasses before we get it cut. It's cow hay, so if the quality is a little under optimum we can live with it. T

We wound up with 252 5x4 rolls on 80 acres. We are down about 7" on rain so far this year.

Latest posts