Anyone breed like this?

Help Support CattleToday:

GG2

Reaction score
I have thought about remaking my cow herd into all or mostly all gelbvieh/angus cross cows and breed them to a simangus bull. Does anyone have this set up already in place?

What do you have now?
3waycross here has something similar, Gelbveih x Angus, but I'm not sure what else he uses
I have Gelbvieh x Shorthorn and they have been doing very well, Trying a Limo and will see how that works, but I think I'll go to Saler again at some point.

I think you might lose a bit of the benefit of the 3 way cross if you go back to something containing a lot of Angus again.
Depending on your feed, you could go for the milk and frame of (for example) a Shorthorn crossed to a Gelbvieh... they are impressive mothers, then cross to a simangus or angus. If you don't have high quality feed to support the milk, you may try for smaller cows (Gelbvieh x Angus), then put frame on the calves with a taller bull.
There's a million ways to do it, no single method is good for everyone.

Welcome to CT too :)

GG2":3pnfmka8 said:
I have thought about remaking my cow herd into all or mostly all gelbvieh/angus cross cows and breed them to a simangus bull. Does anyone have this set up already in place?

It's still a 3waycross. Should work great and those calves would really pound the scales.

GG2,

Yes, there are some large cattle operations that are running Balancer and Simangus bulls. The Balancer sired females are bred to Simangus bulls, and vice versa.

A few of the benefits to this program are:
1. simplified crossbreeding program
2. easily able to maintain 1/2 Angus and 1/2 Continental genetics, which is a favored combination for many feedyards and packers
3. still maintain a significant amount of heterosis (both maternal and terminal heterosis)
4. many Balancers and Simangus are similar in structure, body size, etc. so which allows for producers to select for similar bulls of both breed types, resulting in more consistent calf crop than some other crossbreeding options
5. the Simangus/Balancer females are excellent mama cows for much of the Continental US (may need some ear further south).

Latest posts