Any tips on growing sweet corn?

Help Support CattleToday:

Kingfisher":fe7yiyie said:
Keep me posted on your crop.

Well the " hoppers" ate it! I came back to Austin a few weeks ago and when I went back last week it was all gone!
It was doing good and would have loved the few inches of rain we have had but......its gone. ;( Can I replant and try to get some grown before it gets cold?[/quote]

Corn usually takes about 90 days to harvest after planting. Weather (temp) wise you will be ok. Never planted this late, I'm told the bugs will eat it up. I believe that if you watch it and spray, it should produce. Also, it would help if you irrigate.
So, what you got to loose, a few bucks for seed and fertilizer. I say go for it.

Kingfisher":1sptrqh4 said:
Keep me posted on your crop.

Well the " hoppers" ate it! I came back to Austin a few weeks ago and when I went back last week it was all gone!
It was doing good and would have loved the few inches of rain we have had but......its gone. ;( Can I replant and try to get some grown before it gets cold?
Yes, it is doable in your area IF..you don't get a bunch of 105* days strung together for several weeks like I did last year. I tried a 2nd crop last year just because and No matter how much water I put on and into the soil, the stalks and leaves just baked away.
If I were to try it this year, the seed would rot in the ground--from drought to flood--can't catch a break here.
(thinkin about gettin barefooted, rollin up my britches legs and planting some rice) ;)

Latest posts