Help Support CattleToday:

Keep the weed out
Use 1# (pint jar) of 13-13-13 fertilizer for every 100' row at plant time
Plant 1" deep about 10''s apart
Side dress w/33/0/0 fertilizer when it's knee high
Spray for worms when it's waist high and watch for more every two weeks
Protect from deer all the time
Protect from coons when it starts to ripen
Keep a close eye on it and don't pick it to early but don't let it start to harden up. Look at the days to harvest for the type that you plant, usually around 90 days.
Good luck

Keep the cows out. Plant it further than the longest a cow neck can reach across the fence, so that they're not tempted to lean their full weight on a rickety fence to reach it.

When the silk starts to brown I start checking one or two cobs for ripe grains, don't wait for the whole cob to fill out unless you have perfect growing conditions, because they never will fill out right to the end. They need good soil fertility and water.

lynnmcmahan":242chplw said:
How?
And while we are at it squirrels?
We plant in a rather flat row. When it starts to form the support roots we cultivate pulling the dirt up on the sides of the corn to add support. We may do this more than once through the growing season.

novatech":1pga7rjx said:
lynnmcmahan":1pga7rjx said:
How?
And while we are at it squirrels?
We plant in a rather flat row. When it starts to form the support roots we cultivate pulling the dirt up on the sides of the corn to add support. We may do this more than once through the growing season.
Squirrels may be a bigger problem, but an electric fence will keep the the coons out....course you got to keep the weeds and grass off the fence.... :D

Up here we have a short season, so we plant four or five in a mound, sun heats it up early. Fertilize as needed. Beat the market gardens this way!

CA

I got back from Mexico Saturday afternoon and found my garden demolished!
There must have been a hundred deer prints.

Putting up 3 strand high-tensile now...

Mine are popping out of the ground. No cut worm problems yet.........they killed my potatoes......so I'm going to
build a fence around em to keep the deer out and hope they grow after we dumped 1.5 inches of rain on em the other day. When do you fertalize em some more?

Kingfisher":2iwy98zb said:
Mine are popping out of the ground. No cut worm problems yet.........they killed my potatoes......so I'm going to
build a fence around em to keep the deer out and hope they grow after we dumped 1.5 inches of rain on em the other day. When do you fertalize em some more?

Side dress with 33-0-0 when it's knee high. That's one lb. Which is one pint of fertilizer per 100' row. The grass and weeds like the fertilizer so sharpen the hoe.

shaz":3vdilybi said:
I got back from Mexico Saturday afternoon and found my garden demolished!
There must have been a hundred deer prints.

Putting up 3 strand high-tensile now...

shaz, I can help you reduce this problem and I won't charge you anything. Just out of the goodness of my heart for a fellow middle Tennessean :mrgreen: :cowboy:

TennesseeTuxedo":3e1zb11x said:
I'd be willing to lend Ole Hoss a hand as it sounds like you've got a real problem down there. :D

Then HURRY UP!
I'm %&^& over-run down here!

The guys who film that "Hunt Cook & fish" show film on my place all the time. I've told them "Shoot something". They NEVER shoot anything! Seems like all they do is sight-seeing :mad:

lynnmcmahan":26jrwak9 said:
Keep the weed out
Keep a close eye on it and don't pick it to early but don't let it start to harden up. Look at the days to harvest for the type that you plant, usually around 90 days.
Good luck
Been eating out of the first patch for two weeks. It was planted first Sat of March. Put up 18quarts that I cut off the cob. Plan to get the remainder tomorrow. The second patch was planted the third Sat of March and should be ready next week. Much better patch since we were able to water. Should be able to give a bunch away.
No problems with bugs, squirrels, birds or coons

lynnmcmahan":2i031hgx said:
lynnmcmahan":2i031hgx said:
Keep the weed out
Good luck
Been eating out of the first patch for two weeks. It was planted first Sat of March. Put up 18quarts that I cut off the cob. Plan to get the remainder tomorrow. The second patch was planted the third Sat of March and should be ready next week. Much better patch since we were able to water. Should be able to give a bunch away.
No problems with bugs, squirrels, birds or coons

I been doing what you said Pa..........:) But mine ain't that far along yet. It's growing and so far nothing ate it. What are you doing with your corn? I saw a mighty fine recipe for corn fritters today. Thanks for your post.

No problems with bugs, squirrels, birds or coons[/quote]

I been doing what you said Pa..........:) But mine ain't that far along yet. It's growing and so far nothing ate it. What are you doing with your corn? I saw a mighty fine recipe for corn fritters today. Thanks for your post.[/quote]

I love corn any way you cook it. Sometimes eat it straight off the cob, raw. Eat corn bread two times a week, corn on the cob, roasted corn, grilled corn, corn cassirole, mexican corn bread, grits, hominy........ Don't forget popcorn and I make great corn nuts.
Trouble with me is the carbs. Had to cut way back. I went from 223# to right at 200#. Hard time breaking 200.
Don't like counting the chicks before they hatch, but will probably give most of it away.
Keep me posted on your crop.

Keep me posted on your crop.[/quote]

Well the " hoppers" ate it! I came back to Austin a few weeks ago and when I went back last week it was all gone!
It was doing good and would have loved the few inches of rain we have had but......its gone. ;( Can I replant and try to get some grown before it gets cold?

Latest posts