Any places that rent tree shears in Texas

Help Support CattleToday:

tdarden3k

Reaction score
I have the better part of 40 acres of 1-6 " pine, sweetgum , oak, and persimmon to clear for pastures and hay. This is from a 40 ac tract that was clear-cut about 4-5 years ago as was allowed to just grow back. It is primarily sweet gums.

I have been forestry sawing it, but it is going too slow . There are another 90 acreas across the road I would also like to make a lease proposal on, but getting it cleared would be a nightmare. I was wondering if anyone had ever rented a tree shear before.... especially in Texas.

I could but one for 6-10K if I had the money laying around....which I don"t.

Those thing cut to 1-2 inches from the ground. I can definitely achieve that with my clearing saws. I spray them with a 2,4-D coctail . then brush hog them as necessary to contain new sprouts. . The smaller stumps die within a year. Larger ones within 2-3 years.

What about a mulcher ? I cleared 40 acres that had been clear cut for 5 years . Took me 16 hours . It grinds everything down to the dirt .

Find an out of work logger when log prices are down in your area and see if he'll hire out just his hydro shear and an operator.
IF you have a mill nearby, they take sweetgum as hardwood pulpwood occassionally as well. Had some cut and hauled off my place late last year when the mill was accepting it. Didn't make anything on it, but got 2 loads of gum trees gone. Some of them looked like not much more than sticks. Took some chinese talow too. Look for a self employed logger with a small truck or trailer and 2 ton trailer.
The "can" cut very close to the ground, but most owners like to keep the cutters out of the dirt--dulls them too quickly.

tdarden3k":2b34ow5p said:
Those thing cut to 1-2 inches from the ground. I can definitely achieve that with my clearing saws. I spray them with a 2,4-D coctail . then brush hog them as necessary to contain new sprouts. . The smaller stumps die within a year. Larger ones within 2-3 years.
Add some Remedy or even Grazon to the 2,4-d and it will work better. Gum tree sprouts and suckers LOVE brush hogs. Cut one, 10 will sprout out in it's place. Same with tallow.
Someday, I'm going to take a chance and invest in a gallon of Sendero and just see what it does on tallow and gum. Unrestricted and I figure if it will kill mesquite, it should handle tallow and gum even easier.

I've talked to several foresters and people who make a living killing trees. Best time to do it from my own personal experience too, is in the fall, just before the leaves change color. Sap is falling then and it takes the herbicide to the roots and kills the roots. Roots die, the tree is gone. This time of year, sap is rising for the most part and the herbicide just makes the leaves change color and fall off, but the tree or sapling is still alive and will sprout right back out, either later this year or first thing next spring. (I need to start a thread on this)

I just sold my shear, used properly it can cut below the surface. Anything that resprouts I hit with Surmount and they don;t resprout

Kingfisher":1640uzc8 said:
Where are you in Texas? Some Bobcat dealers have them

Thank you .... I will check with some of the local BobCat dealers.

greybeard":1ihwzc7g said:
Find an out of work logger when log prices are down in your area and see if he'll hire out just his hydro shear and an operator.
IF you have a mill nearby, they take sweetgum as hardwood pulpwood occassionally as well. Had some cut and hauled off my place late last year when the mill was accepting it. Didn't make anything on it, but got 2 loads of gum trees gone. Some of them looked like not much more than sticks. Took some chinese talow too. Look for a self employed logger with a small truck or trailer and 2 ton trailer.
The "can" cut very close to the ground, but most owners like to keep the cutters out of the dirt--dulls them too quickly.

Thanks GretBeard
I thought of trying to find someone with logging equipment to do it as that is how it was originally cut, but I figured those guys would be too busy to give me 10 hours work once a month. Plenty of them down there.... just have to ask em'

dun":3hh4zlxq said:
I just sold my shear, used properly it can cut below the surface. Anything that resprouts I hit with Surmount and they don;t resprout

Sir
Could you share what a good set of used shears is going for ? Also did you get any oppprtunities to do any for-hire work ?
Thanks

tdarden3k":28en9zba said:
dun":28en9zba said:

Sir
Could you share what a good set of used shears is going for ? Also did you get any oppprtunities to do any for-hire work ?
Thanks
Mine was for a 3 pt, sold for 3500 cut upto 12 inch oak/hickory and as small as brush, had the opportunity but passed them by. Had more then enoughto do on our places.

tdarden, I've never used one,but have worked on a couple of Woods Tree Cutters and seen them being used..
Might be an option for ya if you cn find a used one. They scare the dog crap out of me tho--all that mass rotating under there....

A Brown tree cutter and a 80hp tractor and your problem is solved. If the tractor can run it over the Brown will cut it up. Way faster than a shear. Some of the right of way mowers are cutting and spraying at the same time.

highgrit":28g921es said:
A Brown tree cutter and a 80hp tractor and your problem is solved. If the tractor can run it over the Brown will cut it up. Way faster than a shear. Some of the right of way mowers are cutting and spraying at the same time.
I said "Woods"--meant Browns. A thing of destruction, and sounds like a jet when it starts winding up. A bushog gone mad--and on steroids.

We have had a Shoule tree shear for about 5 years. Will cut a 16" tree. Head rotates for vertical or horiz cuts. Cost us $6500. Works good especially for trimming trees but is very slow.
We have cleaned out several fence rows that were solid cedar trees. If we had to be paying labor to run the tractor it would probably been cheaper to bring in a dozer.

Latest posts