Any imfo on ex halweye QB Tate

Help Support CattleToday:

skcatlman

Reaction score
Our pro team the Roughriders up here just singed a QB Drew Tate and he is in training camp. He was supposed to be a college star at Iowa. What does he bring to the table, i don't really remember of hearing about him before. The only thing the news mentioned is that he is 5'11" not big but ok for the CFL if he is a good athlete.

that's interesting, i'm glad for tate to hear that he's going to get to continue playing.

his best year at iowa was his sophomore year, he seemed to either drop off, or not improve too much his jr. and esp. sr. years. he had a nagging injury (strained pectoral i think) his sr. year that held him back a little. the university never really disclosed how he got a strained pec, but the "insiders" claimed that he hurt himself in the weight room trying to outlift some of the linemen. i can believe this story after watching him play for three years. he was hyper, probably over-competitive, always yelling at his teammates. he was the type of player who'd SCREAM at his teammates one play, and the next play he'd throw an interception, which i would think would alienate and irritate your teammates. he also had a tendency to simply throw balls too hard, esp in clutch situations. don't get me wrong, i'm not a drew tate basher, i'm just saying what my impression was.

5'11 is probably and inch or so generous, but i guess it's probably close. he didn't have a real rocket arm, but he was able to make most throws and seemed to have a better than average arm strength

on the plus side for drew, he was very competitive and never gives up on a play. i don't know how truly fast he is, but he was very elusive and had a nice knack for escaping trouble - which sometimes created more trouble, but you couldn't ever fault his effort. i think he had a nice career at Iowa and i hope he does well for you guys up there. i'm a little familiar with Canadian rules, and think he might fit in well in that type of play. if you ever think of it, let me know how he does if he ends up doing.

I agree, Drew is a very competitive person. Last year was tough I think the other players were getting sick of his tantrums.

Go Hawkeyes!!!

Well Tate is going to be a 3rd stringer for a while, He is still on the roster but from what has been heard he is on the injured reserve with an upper body injury and that is all that was released. Seems par for the course. Be is backing up a grey cup winning Qb in the backup Crandell, and the starter EX-NFLer Joseph. He better learn to be patient it will be a while before he gets a chance to start or even play in a game situation.

sounds like he's fighting that same injury he had trouble with all of last year. i'd say his pro days might be numbered, he wasn't really a hot prospect to begin with, and coming into the league hurt really puts someone at a disadvantage. guess time will tell!

I think Tate will have a pretty long leash as far as injury condition goes. Afterall he is a 3rd stringer and needs time to learn the canadian game, as well the head coach is a former QB and the scout that recommended signing Tate was Doug Flutie and from all reports he kinda plays like flutie. I think the riders will give Tate at least a couple of years to develope. Hopefully he can become the QB he can be.

Latest posts