Any cummins guys in here?

Help Support CattleToday:

jedstivers":13d3it1c said:
denvermartinfarms":13d3it1c said:
I learned a little about the half ton diesel today, it's a v6 3.0 240hp and 420lbs of torque, and it with come with a 8 speed transmission. it's a VM motori engine I guess, I've never heard of them. I don't think I would buy one of the first ones out, but if they turn out ok, I think they will take over the half ton market.
Except for the fact they will have a dodge body wrapped around them. That will put a lot of people off.
:bs: :bs: :bs: :mrgreen:

Dodge deserves the bad rap, some of their trucks stunk. Todays Ram truck is not like the one's built in the USA. Sad to say but very true. Thanks to the UAW, and other unions.

jedstivers":2pwx1998 said:
denvermartinfarms":2pwx1998 said:
I learned a little about the half ton diesel today, it's a v6 3.0 240hp and 420lbs of torque, and it with come with a 8 speed transmission. it's a VM motori engine I guess, I've never heard of them. I don't think I would buy one of the first ones out, but if they turn out ok, I think they will take over the half ton market.
Except for the fact they will have a dodge body wrapped around them. That will put a lot of people off.

I have to ask why ? They have no lack of popularity here. I never had an issue with the body or interior on any of my trucks and I ran them hard. They all pulled 40' G/N trailers up and down some very rough oil field caliche roads in Texas and interstates and small roads in other states. I read people that write stuff like that, but don't get it.

saltbranch":2otww5li said:
jedstivers":2otww5li said:
denvermartinfarms":2otww5li said:

I have to ask why ? They have no lack of popularity here. I never had an issue with the body or interior on any of my trucks and I ran them hard. They all pulled 40' G/N trailers up and down some very rough oil field caliche roads in Texas and interstates and small roads in other states. I read people that write stuff like that, but don't get it.
Me either, no quality issues here.

I just wrote it because the is the thought here about them. And to gig AC, he drives a goat. They have had a problem of the body coming apart long before the cummins even gets broke in good. It the past they haven't held up here. I almost bought one once but just couldn't and we also don't have a good dealer close either. If the Chevy dealer I use sold goats instead of Chevys I'd be driving one just because of him.

jedstivers":3drvxd60 said:
I just wrote it because the is the thought here about them. And to gig AC, he drives a goat. They have had a problem of the body coming apart long before the cummins even gets broke in good. It the past they haven't held up here. I almost bought one once but just couldn't and we also don't have a good dealer close either. If the Chevy dealer I use sold goats instead of Chevys I'd be driving one just because of him.
I kinda thought that. We have a good Chevy dealer here to that's alot better than the dodge dealer, I just don't like automatics for there fuel mileage.

denvermartinfarms":22ktxkuq said:

I kind of doubt it unless they can sell them cheap or can break 28 mpg. With only 240 hp they are not going to very competive with other half tons towing wise. They are going to have to really push mpg to be a winner, and this is going to be tough when they are going up against gas engines that get 22-24 mpg and gas is 74 cents cheaper than diesel.

hillbilly beef man":o5n0sp7j said:
denvermartinfarms":o5n0sp7j said:

I kind of doubt it unless they can sell them cheap or can break 28 mpg. With only 240 hp they are not going to very competive with other half tons towing wise. They are going to have to really push mpg to be a winner, and this is going to be tough when they are going up against gas engines that get 22-24 mpg and gas is 74 cents cheaper than diesel.
I expect they will get 30mpg or up maybe, and from what I've read it's only going to be about a 2000$ extra.

If all these new diesel vehicles get to good of fuel mileage the oil companies will raise the price of diesel even more. Look at it now a diesel gets 1/3 better fuel mileage and the price of diesel is a 1/3 more than gas. The oil companies have us over bent over a barrel, and their not going to let up. Another thought look at the BP oil spill, they paid out 4+ billion dollars and their in the green.

denvermartinfarms":1g35ymzl said:
hillbilly beef man":1g35ymzl said:
denvermartinfarms":1g35ymzl said:

I expect they will get 30mpg or up maybe, and from what I've read it's only going to be about a 2000$ extra.

They might do allright if they will get that good of mileage. The break even point with fuel prices around here a diesel would have to get 28 mpg to have the same fuel costs as a 22 mpg gas truck. If they can get into the 30's mpg for just a $2,000 premium they will probally sell plenty.

highgrit":7a6k6614 said:
If all these new diesel vehicles get to good of fuel mileage the oil companies will raise the price of diesel even more. Look at it now a diesel gets 1/3 better fuel mileage and the price of diesel is a 1/3 more than gas. The oil companies have us over bent over a barrel, and their not going to let up. Another thought look at the BP oil spill, they paid out 4+ billion dollars and their in the green.

Oil companies don't decide the price of fuel. They ride the market just like we do.

You might be right Brute, but I think they are ripping the consumer off that's buying diesel fuel. I can remember when diesel fuel was a lot cheaper than gas. Now the problem is the folks that can afford a diesel car or truck can afford to pay more for fuel. Diesel fuel is now a luxury and a status symbol.

highgrit":1n2rfvoq said:
You might be right Brute, but I think they are ripping the consumer off that's buying diesel fuel. I can remember when diesel fuel was a lot cheaper than gas. Now the problem is the folks that can afford a diesel car or truck can afford to pay more for fuel. Diesel fuel is now a luxury and a status symbol.
You can thank the EPA for the price of Diesle. It cost more to make it now.

Jed, why does diesel cost more?? I would think a blended fuel would, or should be higher like ethanol.

highgrit":dpzq6l3p said:
Jed, why does diesel cost more?? I would think a blended fuel would, or should be higher like ethanol.
CB can explain that a lot better than me. The low sulfure is what cost so much to make, some refiners are still mahing high sulfure and exporting all of it.

jedstivers":3sqw0x7i said:
highgrit":3sqw0x7i said:
CB can explain that a lot better than me. The low sulfure is what cost so much to make, some refiners are still mahing high sulfure and exporting all of it.
Low sulphur diesel has to come from higher priced low sulfur (light sweet) crude--or high sulfur crude has to be put thru a lot more processing in order to achieve the same end.
The other parts of that is increasing global demand for diesel, and the fact that diesel is beset by EPA regs since 2006. Used to be allowed 500 part/million sulphur content--EPA dropped that down to 15ppm for almost all highway diesel and some off road diesel--that's quite a drop.
On the federal side (and some states) diesel is also taxed heavier than gasoline. 6 cents more I believe.

Diesel really took off when Europe began switching to diesel powered automobiles and China began it's move to modernization, which fueled demand for diesel way more than gasoline.

Crude oil, and finished fuels (gasoline, diesel, heating oil, jet fuel) are commodities--price is not set by the refiners or by the retailers at a whim--it's set by market forces of supply and demand.

There is a finite quantity of refining capacity. Winter months means an increase in demand for heating oil worldwide, especially in US and Europe. Diesel and heating oil are similar in the cracking process---can't make both in the same quantities at the same price as summer production.

In Texas the total state and Fed tax on Diesel is 44.4 cents per gallon. Not bad money considering the gov. has no risk in the exploration,drilling ,refining or transporting it to pump for the consumer to purchase. Now consider the all the taxes levied in each process to bring it to the consumer.

Every refinery in the US was mandated by the Feds to be producing low sulfur diesel by the year 2011 when Bill was the pres. This came with an average of a 300 million dollar price tag per refinery. I know, because I worked for the largest construction company building desulfurizers and sulfur recovery units before 2011 and this was only supposed to add about 4 cents to the price of diesel.
Global demand for diesel and every other fossil fuel product is the driving factor in the price because we aren't the only big customer for energy anymore. Don't get me wrong, oil companies are making huge profits but most of it comes from the fact that there is a huge demand for their product right now, not for having to reach EPA mandates. We have more competition for the world's supply of fossil fuels than we ever had before.

As far as Cummins go, they make the best and cheapest to repair small diesel engine on the market for a light truck and have for a long time now. Dam shame you can't get it in a Ford. JMO

Latest posts