Any advice

Help Support CattleToday:

So last night my 2 new girls got here. I left them locked up in the corral with my little ones last night. How long should I keep them locked up together before i turn them loose into the small pasture? I just dont want them running right through the fence :(

I always keep any new calves or cows in the corral, for a Minimum of 2 weeks after bringing them to my place.

Thanks. I let them out for a day and they just went to the far corner and hid. I got them back in tonight and had a big thing of cake waiting for them.

Depending on what kind of fencing and what they are used to. If they stayed in all day, they should be fine to put out. Do you have a way to separate the babies from the yearlings when you feed their grain?

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
Depending on what kind of fencing and what they are used to. If they stayed in all day, they should be fine to put out. Do you have a way to separate the babies from the yearlings when you feed their grain?

Not really. I give the big ones some cake and the calves their feed so they stay seperate while they eat... I dont really have a good way to separate them kinda a flaw in my plan.

Any ideas how to juggle that?

But the calves are completely off the bottle and have been for a week now. The big ones almost were eating cake out of my hand tonight so maybe they are ready to go back out. I just let them in the little 2 acre ish pasture. Once they eat it down a little I will turn them out on the big pasture. (25 acres ish)

I also bought them a protien tub tonight. Do I need salt too?

Check the label on the tub and see how it is on micronutrients. Vitaferm makes some good tubs with a good bit of mineral. For what it's worth I always leave out free choice mineral anyway. If they consume it slowly I just go by every week or two and make sure the mineral hasn't clumped up. It's good for peace of mind at the very least

Ya I have been doing supervised treat time. I think they are kinda done with it tho. They only nibble at it when I give them some and dont really seem to care.. they seem really happy on grass. They have salt blocks and a mineral tub, they kinda even tried the cake I was giving the big ones. I'm scared they will bloat so I have medicine on standby but idk they act like big cows now. Although they tried sucking on each other tonight which they havnt done in a long time. Thought that was weird. (To be fair it was right when I got out a jug to feed my bees and i think they had flashbacks) lol

I cant thank everyone enough for all the help in this thread!!! I feel like this cow experience so far has been awesome thanks to all the great advice.

They have salt blocks and a mineral tub
Typical "hard" blocks of any kind are by composition, make it difficult for animals to ensure adequate consumption. Your tubs likely provide sufficient salt. If in doubt, provide salt in loose form.

76 Bar said:
They have salt blocks and a mineral tub
Typical "hard" blocks of any kind are by composition, make it difficult for animals to ensure adequate consumption. Your tubs likely provide sufficient salt. If in doubt, provide salt in loose form.

Good to know. Thank you

Montanaidiot said:
Ya I have been doing supervised treat time. I think they are kinda done with it tho. They only nibble at it when I give them some and dont really seem to care.. they seem really happy on grass. They have salt blocks and a mineral tub, they kinda even tried the cake I was giving the big ones. I'm scared they will bloat so I have medicine on standby but idk they act like big cows now. Although they tried sucking on each other tonight which they havnt done in a long time. Thought that was weird. (To be fair it was right when I got out a jug to feed my bees and i think they had flashbacks) lol

I cant thank everyone enough for all the help in this thread!!! I feel like this cow experience so far has been awesome thanks to all the great advice.

They are bubs still.

If you ask me, your falling into a common trap, where later, often a view is formed that bottle calves do not grow properly.

They need a certain type of high protein feed for quite a while, early weaning is ok when the goodness will be supplied another way, filling on grass is same as hay.

It is a matter of what they can extract of what they ingest.

Its been awhile since I have been here. My the mighty heard is getting big but I need to be thinking about finishing and winter time. So I have a few more questions.

The yearlings go to the butcher in early Feb. So I'm guessing I need to start finishing in nov.?

Also what should I feed them? Corn? Grain? Also where do I get it?

Now for my little ones. What kinda hay do I need for them? I see all sorts of mixes of 50/50 grass alphalpha 25/75...some with clover.

What kind should I get and how much? I was just going to leave out big round bales for them so whatever they want + I'm sure I will feed a couple deer.

The best way is to calculate what kind of nutrients they will need for age and what not. If u can, just have the hay tested so u know what to supplement.
Are them babies still taking feed/grain well?
This is directed at the small ones....

As far as feeding them bigger ones out, theres lots of threads here on the feed yard area about finishing animals. Most use corn. Lots of corn worked up slowly. Probly have to mix it with sweet feed or something to get em started good. The longer u feed em, the better the meat will be. And all the free choice hay they want.

Thanks for popping in btw!
U should do so more often!
We all like to hear and more importantly see updates. Pics are a requirement you know!

The little ones get some creep feed for a treat and the big ones get cake. Altho the littles ones are starting to like cake too.

I will have to watch some more YouTube on finishing them. They are definitely fat already. I have all the meat spoken for and all to proceeds are going to my nephews first year in college. I'm really hopefully they turn out good and I'm almost feeding my entire family.

Pics are on the way :)

Latest posts