Any advice

Help Support CattleToday:

Rancher

Reaction score
25 ac. pasture is a lot if you manage it rite. Up her I run 12hd of angus cow/calf all 3-1/2 months by rotating with 3/8"dia x48"ln fibre rods and one strand 6ply polytwine hooked to 6jle. fence charger. I do spred 250lb of high analysis fert. per ac. twice a season, first onMay 10 2nd mid Aug. Go for any beef breed bottle babies as they are easy to train from the beginning. For meat and success get yearlings and rotate on your grass to keep it nutritious. Keep some grain around so you can handle them as they get used to you. good luck

rlrobinhood

Reaction score
25 ac. pasture is a lot if you manage it rite. Up her I run 12hd of angus cow/calf all 3-1/2 months by rotating with 3/8"dia x48"ln fibre rods and one strand 6ply polytwine hooked to 6jle. fence charger. I do spred 250lb of high analysis fert. per ac. twice a season, first onMay 10 2nd mid Aug. Go for any beef breed bottle babies as they are easy to train from the beginning. For meat and success get yearlings and rotate on your grass to keep it nutritious. Keep some grain around so you can handle them as they get used to you. good luck

Hey Rancher, quick question for you. I too run a very intensive rotational graze like you described. I only fertilize once in the spring though. I've thought many times about doing it twice, but have been concerned about knocking down a lot of grass that is for grazing later in the rotation. Does fertilizing twice work well for you and am I just overly concerned? Grass is so precious on small acreages. Thanks in advance.

Rancher

Reaction score
We have lotsa sunshine up here, light all the time from May til mid August, so grass really grows fast. Trick is to force the cattle onto the grass by dividing pasture into say 5ac plots. Let the cattle graze it down real short then move to next plot. I then drag the field with my 12ft harrow w/drag chains behind my atv. If the grass gets ahead of you (it does sometimes up here) I set my mower high and mow the top so grass don't seed out. It sounds labor heavy but not really if u plan rite <grin> Most of the time the fence isn't even "HOT" as the moose walk thru and break it prolly once a week.

OP
Montanaidiot

Montanaidiot

Reaction score
So I need 3 more feeder steers and really don't see them on facebook or Craigslist.

I started watching online cattle auctions that are in my town. Has anyone ever done this? I'm thinking I can do some shopping on breaks at work. They go so fast im not sure my phone even keeps up :(

Ps my new cattle tags. Lol I think its funny

Attachments

• 20210324_191506.jpg
    20210324_191506.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6

Latest posts