Antibiotics

Help Support CattleToday:

Tomcolvin

Reaction score
I have on hand some LA 200 antibiotic and want to give a couple couple of new cows I'm getting. They will be calving in March this year. There weight is average 900- 1000+ ones each. Maybe more.
If I am reading correct the doseage for the LA200 is very high ml per hundred pounds. I forget the exact amount but I believe I read like 9 ml per hundred? This would be 90 to 100 ml? This just doesn't sound right. I am moving them here in a couple of days and want to give their vaccines and something for shipping fever. What do you think I shoul have on hand? Also I plan to give these shots while they are still on my trailer. Any thoughts to the safety issues with this procedure? They are gentle cows but when it comes to needles they may not be. My trailer is a stock trailer with tandem axles and about 13 foot long. No petition s but I can stick fence post thru it to divide it off and so to stop cows from turning around in it. This is the way I hauled my wild bull off to sale. It works. Thanks for reply's in advance.😋

Tomcolvin said:
I have on hand some LA 200 antibiotic and want to give a couple couple of new cows I'm getting. They will be calving in March this year. There weight is average 900- 1000+ ones each. Maybe more.
If I am reading correct the doseage for the LA200 is very high ml per hundred pounds. I forget the exact amount but I believe I read like 9 ml per hundred? This would be 90 to 100 ml? This just doesn't sound right. I am moving them here in a couple of days and want to give their vaccines and something for shipping fever. What do you think I shoul have on hand? Also I plan to give these shots while they are still on my trailer. Any thoughts to the safety issues with this procedure? They are gentle cows but when it comes to needles they may not be. My trailer is a stock trailer with tandem axles and about 13 foot long. No petition s but I can stick fence post thru it to divide it off and so to stop cows from turning around in it. This is the way I hauled my wild bull off to sale. It works. Thanks for reply's in advance.😋

Liquamycin® Oxytetracycline Injection (LA-200) is administered at the rate of 4.5 mL per 100 pounds of body weight in cattle. You may be confusing the mg per pound target plasma level with the dosage.

I am not an advocate of using an antibiotic as a preventive. It should only be used to treat a disease that you have observed.

Vaccines and antibiotics should be given to restrained cattle in case you break a needle off in the cow and for your own safety and the cow.

For your reference:
Oxytetracycline Injection 
Broad spectrum antibiotic, containing 200 mg of oxytetracycline per ml, for the treatment of diseases caused by susceptible gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria, including pinkeye, pneumonia and foot rot. For IM or SQ use in beef and dairy cattle and IM use in swine. 3-4 day blood and tissue levels. Dosage: 4½ mL per 100 of body weight. 28-day slaughter withdrawal in cattle and swine. 96-hour milk withdrawal.

Farm safety! If you have no means of restraint & are concerned about shipping fever, an alternative to LA200 is Sustain III cattle boluses. My girls just eat them if I mix them with cubes, maybe drizzle molasses or syrup over them.

Sustain III® Boluses (Sulfamethazine Sustained Release Boluses) are intended for oral administration to beef cattle and non-lactating dairy cattle (See RESIDUE WARNING Statement). Sustain III® Boluses are indicated for the treatment of the following diseases when caused by one or more of the following pathogenic organisms sensitive to sulfamethazine:
Bacterial Pneumonia and Bovine Respiratory Disease Complex (Shipping Fever Complex) (Pasteurella spp.), Colibacillosis (Bacterial Scours) (E. coli), Necrotic pododermatitis (Foot rot), Calf Diphtheria (Fusobacterium necrophorum), Acute Metritis (Streptococcus spp.).

Sounds like a good way to get your arm broke. Big cows don't usually have a problem with shipping fever but if you think you need it, do as TC says. Trying to give a shot in the correct area while in the trailer is dangerous for you and the animal.

Latest posts