Antibiotics

Help Support CattleToday:

I always have LA300, Draxxin & Sustain III Cattle Boluses. Baytril & Resflor Gold for respiratory. Other than LA and Sustain, you'll need a RX so ask your vet what he/she recommends for your area & operation.

I always have LA300, Draxxin & Sustain III Cattle Boluses. Baytril & Resflor Gold for respiratory. Other than LA and Sustain, you'll need a RX so ask your vet what he/she recommends for your area & operation.
Other than the Draxxin, I have all of those plus Bannamine.

That's a new one to me. What's the active ingredient? What do you use it to treat?
Seems to me the first bottle I got the vet prescribed for follow up treatment after a c-section that didn't go well. Since then it has been recommended to me for use in foot rot, joint ill, and respiratory infections.

From the internet:
BORGAL contains trimethoprim (a synthetic antibacterial), and sulfadoxine (a sulfonamide). The two components of BORGAL produce a sequential double blockade of bacterial metabolism, giving a level of activity many times greater than that obtained from either drug alone.

BORGAL provides effective antibacterial activity against a wide range of infections caused by Gram-positive and Gram-negative bacteria.

If you can't get Draxxin or can't afford a whole bottle find a rancher and buy a syringe full and keep it inside the house

Boreal- Trimethoprim / Sulfa is illegal in food producing animals in US. Works well for scours

Boreal- Trimethoprim / Sulfa is illegal in food producing animals in US. Works well for scours
According to the FDA:
  • SULFONAMIDE–CLASS ANTIBIOTICS
    – ELDU of all sulfonamides and potentiated sulfonamides is prohibited in adult lactating dairy cattle or dairy cattle
    greater than 20 months of age.
    – only labeled uses of approved sulfonamides are allowed.
    – ELDU of sulfonamides in milking sheep and goats is discouraged but not prohibited.

Examples of sulfonamides include:
  • sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim (Bactrim, Bactrim DS, Septra, Septra DS)
  • sulfasalazine (Azulfidine, Sulfazine)
  • sulfisoxazole (Truxazole)

So far I've stocked up on LA-200 & Penicillin. Living in California, unfortunately they do not allow any sales of antibiotics over the counter... makes me very mad!! Thankfully I am just a few hours from Nevada and have a good relationship with my veterinarian.