Antibiotic's to keep on hand - newbie

Help Support CattleToday:

gorillaboze

Reaction score
I am just getting started and have 7 cows and a two calves (with more on the way any day now). I would like to know what antibiotics/wormers/other to keep on hand, and the best time to vaccinate calves (as soon as they are born, 200lbs, ?

I want to have healthy cows and calves, but I don't want to over vaccinate either. Any suggestions?

Thanks
-Chad

With 7 cows I wouldn't worry about keeping antibiotics on hand. You probably will not need them and they go bad. I have used an antibiotic one time in the last 5 years on a calf with an infected navel running as many as 25 mamas. Find a good vet in your area that will sale you just what you need if the need arises. I don't keep wormers on hand either. I just buy what I need when I'm worming in the spring and fall. I usually blackleg at 1 to 3 months and again at weaning on anything I'm keeping. I use to bangs vacc heifers at 8 months but don't anymore.

If you don't want to have anything like footrot, pinkeye, infections, or respiratory problems go through your cows buy the most expensive antibiotic you can find, and a lot of it. Then you will never need it.

If you don't mind dealing with issues like those mentioned, especially on Sundays or holidays, then you really don't need to keep any on hand.

I was battling pneumonia in a group of calves and footrot in the cows one year and after getting tired of running to town every day or so for more meds, I decided to stock up on LA300 and Nuflor. I think I only treated one more cow after that and have about 7 bottles of expired stuff left.

I agree with B&M. Dont keep any antibiotics on hand because you might not even use them and they will go bad. If you do have an animal get sick and you need some, just go to the local animal supply store or local vet to get them at that time.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Sounds like I should just buy it when I need it!

Could I get your vaccination schedule/routine? When to give calves their shots, when to castrate, etc?

Thanks!
-Chad

LA300 has a pretty long shelf life so if you feel that you really want something on hand I would get them. Plus some pen. in the fridge.

gorillaboze":1a96z7yk said:
Thanks for the advice everyone. Sounds like I should just buy it when I need it!

Could I get your vaccination schedule/routine? When to give calves their shots, when to castrate, etc?

Thanks!
-Chad

I do not sell my calves preconditioned so I don't vacc steers or terminal heifers. I do vacc heifers I plan to keep with a 7 or 8 way blackleg. I cut all bull calves after the last one drops so they can usually be from a few days old to 3 months. I vacc the heifers at about 3 months and again at weaning. I worm everything twice a year in the spring and fall with Cydectin pour on.

Chad, I recently asked my vet what shots to give,(she was at my place last week to check out a preg cow). I have 3 cows, a heifer and a new calf.
The calves get, bose at birth and she said black leg and shipping fever vac that she will supply at 1 month and every year afterwards.
Id ask your Vet.

Bill

gorillaboze":1m7081j0 said:

Thanks!
-Chad

Hey guy, call your local vet. The phone call is free and he is more informed. Some of these wranglers will scare you into a sterile barn and putting cameras out for the cattle disease boogeyman.

ChrisB":1vfom2c7 said:
If you don't want to have anything like footrot, pinkeye, infections, or respiratory problems go through your cows buy the most expensive antibiotic you can find, and a lot of it. Then you will never need it.

Isn't that the truth! :lol2:

Latest posts