Hand pump sprayer

Help Support CattleToday:

tcolvin

Reaction score
What type sprayers are you guys using to spray your cattle with. The sprayers I have been buying won't last 2 weeks, and then if it makes two weeks your lucky. I have a load of sprayers to haul off because the spray handle valve sticks or the pump won't build pressure anymore. There has got to be something that will hold up. I have been using cow fly spray from tractor supply in the blue gallon jug. It is an slightly oily type spray and can be mist sprayed for flies in the stalls and they will die on the spot. My only problem is the sprayer only last about 3 sprayings over the cows back and then you can toss it. I have bought 3 in the last month.

Chapin {click here} and Solo {click here} are brands I use. ...the cheap 1 or 2 gallon units.
the spray handle valve sticks
That can happen. Should be able to remove the spring and valve. Clean and replace. Hasn't been an issue for me with my cattle sprayer. More common with the herbicide sprayer. My cattle sprayer is only used for spraying cattle, but I'm not spraying a lot of cattle.
the pump won't build pressure anymore.
Sounds like the bottom valve and they're easy to replace. Swap the bottom valve off another sprayer.
I have been using cow fly spray from tractor supply in the blue gallon jug.
What's the name on the jug?
What is the brand and model of a couple of the sprayers?

I have mixed my own with diesel fuel (permethrin + a synergistic). Some folks use mineral oil instead because it is more eco-friendly. My current 2-gallon spray pump ( Solo) has lasted over 4 years with no problem.

I have a metal one that has been around for a long time. I use that one for weed spray only. the plastic one that I bought to spray cattle is a year old and no longer maintains air pressure so need to purchase a new one. they don't build them like they use to. hope I can find one that is not "made in China"

Chapin {click here} and Solo {click here} are brands I use. ...the cheap 1 or 2 gallon units.

That can happen. Should be able to remove the spring and valve. Clean and replace. Hasn't been an issue for me with my cattle sprayer. More common with the herbicide sprayer. My cattle sprayer is only used for spraying cattle, but I'm not spraying a lot of cattle.

Sounds like the bottom valve and they're easy to replace. Swap the bottom valve off another sprayer.

What's the name on the jug?
What is the brand and model of a couple of the sprayers?
Pro zap fly spray, sprayer from tractor supply $14.95 and Walmart $9.95. I don't think they are much brand name to them. I bought an Ace Hardware brand today for $19.95. I told them my problem and they said to clean it after each use by flushing the pump and running water thru the spray head. The counter guy says he has one over 6 years old and it still works perfect. My problem is I keep 5 on my mule, all 1 gallon sprayers, 1 for fly spray. 1 for round up, 1 for Remedy (for killing bamboo I'm at war with) , one with permethrin and one with Lorsban for fire ants (for outside the pasture). I may use all of them one day and none of them some days.

Pro zap fly spray, sprayer from tractor supply $14.95 and Walmart $9.95. I don't think they are much brand name to them. I bought an Ace Hardware brand today for $19.95. I told them my problem and they said to clean it after each use by flushing the pump and running water thru the spray head. The counter guy says he has one over 6 years old and it still works perfect. My problem is I keep 5 on my mule, all 1 gallon sprayers, 1 for fly spray. 1 for round up, 1 for Remedy (for killing bamboo I'm at war with) , one with permethrin and one with Lorsban for fire ants (for outside the pasture). I may use all of them one day and none of them some days.
Got asian bamboo here in a few spots. You know it is a grass species and that remedy is not for grasses?

Yes on the grass. Where I'm spraying is not in pasture but trying to stop it from getting into pasture. I'm also spot spraying specifically the bamboo shoots, not the whole ground area. It may kill some grass but I have no choice unless you know of a better way.

Yes on the grass. Where I'm spraying is not in pasture but trying to stop it from getting into pasture. I'm also spot spraying specifically the bamboo shoots, not the whole ground area. It may kill some grass but I have no choice unless you know of a better way.
Strong roundup is what I use. With a surfactant.

Strong roundup is what I use. With a surfactant.
Tried that but couldn't control it. It has moved to my grape vineyards and headed to cow pastures. My chemical company recommended remedy, it look like it's working. I'll no more in a month. I have cut it down , dug up the roots, sprayed new chutes and they are still coming up. Last spraying will tell the tell.

Tried that but couldn't control it. It has moved to my grape vineyards and headed to cow pastures. My chemical company recommended remedy, it look like it's working. I'll no more in a month. I have cut it down , dug up the roots, sprayed new chutes and they are still coming up. Last spraying will tell the tell.
I know the Remedy will kill a tree if you spray under it. I have kill several woody bushes that had come up in the bamboo and it fried them. Takes about a week to see real results but it is dangerous. If you spray the ground much nothing will grow for a long while. I've done kill one grape vine by just spraying the bamboo shoots only.

What type sprayers are you guys using to spray your cattle with. The sprayers I have been buying won't last 2 weeks, and then if it makes two weeks your lucky. I have a load of sprayers to haul off because the spray handle valve sticks or the pump won't build pressure anymore. There has got to be something that will hold up. I have been using cow fly spray from tractor supply in the blue gallon jug. It is a slightly oily type spray and can be mist sprayed for flies in the stalls and they will die on the spot. My only problem is the sprayer only last about 3 sprayings over the cows back and then you can toss it. I have bought 3 in the last month.
Hey
What type sprayers are you guys using to spray your cattle with. The sprayers I have been buying won't last 2 weeks, and then if it makes two weeks you're lucky. I have a load of sprayers to haul off because the spray handle valve sticks or the pump won't build pressure anymore. There has got to be something that will hold up. I have been using cow fly spray from tractor supply in the blue gallon jug. It is an slightly oily type spray and can be mist sprayed for flies in the stalls and they will die on the spot. My only problem is the sprayer only last about 3 sprayings over the cows back and then you can toss it. I have bought 3 in the last m
What type sprayers are you guys using to spray your cattle with. The sprayers I have been buying won't last 2 weeks, and then if it makes two weeks your lucky. I have a load of sprayers to haul off because the spray handle valve sticks or the pump won't build pressure anymore. There has got to be something that will hold up. I have been using cow fly spray from tractor supply in the blue gallon jug. It is an slightly oily type spray and can be mist sprayed for flies in the stalls and they will die on the spot. My only problem is the sprayer only last about 3 sprayings over the cows back and then you can toss it. I have bought 3 in the last month.
Hey Colvin Brother
I've been using the Ryobi 18v sprayers for two years. No pumping, push the switch and spray. The battery will last for a year without charging. I just changed out the diaphragm pumps in all three that I have after two years of service, $26 each for the pump. I have a rack full of hand pump sprayers hanging on the wall in the barn.
Amazon product ASIN B0738SK4SM1690062658282.png

Attachments

• IMG_1253.jpeg
    IMG_1253.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1252.jpeg
    IMG_1252.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1251.jpeg
    IMG_1251.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1250.jpeg
    IMG_1250.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1249.jpeg
    IMG_1249.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1248.jpeg
    IMG_1248.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2245.png
    IMG_2245.png
    593.3 KB · Views: 7
For brush and trees you have cut or girdled we use Tordon ad if applied right after cutting it is pretty effective killer and can be sprayed on the leaves of a bush to kill also if you aren't cutting it down. I usually mix some 15-20% Glyphosate (roundup) with it (and some dye to see where it is sprayed) which cuts the cost some.

Mix a little triclopyr with it and you'll see even better results and triclopyr won't kill grass like glypho does.
I'll check into that but it is not really a problem when we treat the stump of the cut brush and we rarely spray a whole bush. Made the mistake of waiting a couple hours to spray and the effectiveness goes way down though with Tordon---will have to cut some again!

Latest posts