• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

antibiotic advise requested

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Guest
I have posted a message explaining a vaginal prolapse which was answered. Now I am looking for advise for the same mother cow. Her history is on 02/27/02 she had a vaginal prolapse for at least 4 hours. A vet washed the prolapse and reinserted it and closed with 4 stitches. The stitches were removed on 3/4/02 and the mother later calved that night. During the initial call the vet wanted to give antibiotics to her but we held off because he could not guarantee that she would survive. I have heard that a cow cannot be butchered if she has antibiotics on board. (This may be an old wives tale I don't know.) Now she has calved and both her and her calf look good and healthy. I am planning on keeping her for 6-8 months before I sell, does anyone recommend antibiotics now?? Thank you for any help. Russell Johnson

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Guest
With antibiotics it is specified on the packaging how long you must wait till slaughter. All I've seen is 30 days but there may be others that are more. If she isn't running a fever and you plan on selling her anyway I wouldn't mess with antibiotics. If she gets an infection then you could treat it, but by then it may be to late.

dunmovin farms

> I have posted a message explaining
> a vaginal prolapse which was
> answered. Now I am looking for
> advise for the same mother cow.
> Her history is on 02/27/02 she had
> a vaginal prolapse for at least 4
> hours. A vet washed the prolapse
> and reinserted it and closed with
> 4 stitches. The stitches were
> removed on 3/4/02 and the mother
> later calved that night. During
> the initial call the vet wanted to
> give antibiotics to her but we
> held off because he could not
> guarantee that she would survive.
> I have heard that a cow cannot be
> butchered if she has antibiotics
> on board. (This may be an old
> wives tale I don't know.) Now she
> has calved and both her and her
> calf look good and healthy. I am
> planning on keeping her for 6-8
> months before I sell, does anyone
> recommend antibiotics now?? Thank
> you for any help. Russell Johnson
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Guest
I know that antibiotics vary from Zero withdrawal to 60 days, depending on which one you choose. Your vet was probably going to give a shot of long acting penicillin, withdrawal 14 to 30 days, depending on brand and dose. Frankly, I'll often give them a shot after stitching a prolapse just to prevent major vulval infections (bad area)and not to treat. If she's running a fever, I'd treat her, if she's bright, alert and normal temp., hold off! Remember, most if not all antibiotics will transfer to the calf via the milk, so you're actually treating both! Good Luck! V

> With antibiotics it is specified
> on the packaging how long you must
> wait till slaughter. All I've seen
> is 30 days but there may be others
> that are more. If she isn't
> running a fever and you plan on
> selling her anyway I wouldn't mess
> with antibiotics. If she gets an
> infection then you could treat it,
> but by then it may be to late.

> dunmovin farms
 

Latest posts

Top