Any other antibiotic besides LA whatever

Help Support CattleToday:

Boot Jack Bulls":184m82r6 said:
jedstivers":184m82r6 said:
BK9954":184m82r6 said:
If I could buy a bottle I would. My vets only give me a syringe at a time and at a huge mark up based on the price of a bottle.
You got to find one of the traveling salesmen that will call on you. The company's they work for will have a vet on staff that will come by the farm once or twice a year and see you and some cows.
You can then order anything you want and have a script for it.
Right now I have on hand ( I bet I forget some of the stuff I have)
Draxxion
Zapreivo
Restflor
Newflor
Exceede
Baytril
Advicion
A180
And of course some la300.
Bet I have some more stuff too. I know I butchered the spelling too.

An injectable vitamin B complex (though not an antibiotic) is pretty handy to have on hand also. We pretty much stick to draxxin, LA 300, Nuflor and the B complex. Just don't end up needing much else.
I have vitamin B and multimin too. Actually just ran out of MM and will order more in the next order.
I had been using mostly drax but I wanted to expand the arsenal some. Bringing the calves in in the 90° hear and dust I was getting quite a few more pulls. Things have settled down some now.
It wasn't supposed to be 90 the last two weeks of October and the first two of November.

jedstivers":3myg7n0n said:
BK9954":3myg7n0n said:
Boot Jack Bulls":3myg7n0n said:
We can get smaller bottles here for about $250, but it only treats about 2 bulls or cows. The nice part with the smaller bottle, is that it hurts a bit less if you drop them. A lot of people wrap them in bubble wrap just in case. We have to keep at least one small bottle on hand, since our vet has to order it for us, and waiting a week for drugs is counterproductive.
If I could buy a bottle I would. My vets only give me a syringe at a time and at a huge mark up based on the price of a bottle.
You got to find one of the traveling salesmen that will call on you. The company's they work for will have a vet on staff that will come by the farm once or twice a year and see you and some cows.
Draxxion
Zapreivo
Restflor
Newflor
Exceede
Baytril
Advicion
A180
How do you find those companies?

Jed, we have gotten in the habit of giving the B complex to just about anything that is run down. We need to keep it on hand for the goats, and have found it can really help get a sickly animal back on track (along with the drugs of course).

BK9954":3o7t15ye said:
jedstivers":3o7t15ye said:
BK9954":3o7t15ye said:
Draxxion
Zapreivo
Restflor
Newflor
Exceede
Baytril
Advicion
A180
How do you find those companies?
I really don't know. The one I'm using now stopped by the shop one day. Really good guy and knows his stuff really well. There has to be a lot of salesmen in your area I'd think. We are in a cattle desert here.

Boot Jack Bulls":p6tdc81x said:
Jed, we have gotten in the habit of giving the B complex to just about anything that is run down. We need to keep it on hand for the goats, and have found it can really help get a sickly animal back on track (along with the drugs of course).
We started using it and multimin on the incoming thin (almost dead) cows.
That got that, wormer, and whatever meds it looked like they needed.

BK9954, I feel the same way about the cost of mass produced meds..(how about epi-pens??)

I will say I was impressed with the effectiveness of Draxxin this spring, heifer had a C section, one dose of draxxin and she never had any problems whatsoever, bred back on the first try. I wish I could keep one dose in stock, but the price is prohibitive for the "just in case".

I keep LA200 around.. perhaps someday a generic draxxin will come around

Nesikep":17kkm8qy said:
BK9954, I feel the same way about the cost of mass produced meds..(how about epi-pens??)

I will say I was impressed with the effectiveness of Draxxin this spring, heifer had a C section, one dose of draxxin and she never had any problems whatsoever, bred back on the first try. I wish I could keep one dose in stock, but the price is prohibitive for the "just in case".

What does one dose cost?

jedstivers":pv8vahph said:
Nesikep":pv8vahph said:

What does one dose cost?
Draxxin is about $4.509 a ml. 1.1 per hundred.

Just throwing in my 2 cents: Yes, there is a mark up purchasing meds from my vet but I can also call 24/7 & one of them (there are 2 in the practice) will be at the ranch within 30 minutes or meet us at the clinic. They know our cattle & trust my knowledge (FWIW) to prescribe meds over the phone if it's not an emergency. Worth every penny.

Fortified Vitamin B Complex for Animal, Agri-cillin Injectable Antibiotic, Tylan 200 Tylosin Injection

Got these ordered, I already have a bottle of B-12 my other vet sold me and have been using b complex for a while. Never used penicillin before. I also have a vitamin A and e supplement. Had a heifer with a selenium and Calcium deficiency this week and I can't find that vitamin for her so the vet gave her an IV and and ejection which cost me a lot of money. Guess she doesnt like the loose mineral. Also gave her Draxxin which was over $100. The whole visit was over $300 with blood work.

tom4018":221wyud2 said:
jedstivers":221wyud2 said:
Nesikep":221wyud2 said:

What does one dose cost?
Draxxin is about $4.509 a ml. 1.1 per hundred.
I wondered what kind of markup the vet had on it.
I buy it in 250 ml bottles so it's a little cheaper than that but not much.

Draxxin is $8/CC here. I keep Baytril and LA 300 on hand.

I can pretty well text my vet and she has the scrip ready when I get there. I don't think she's ever seen my cattle but has came out and treated a showpig once so she knows the farm. She also does all of our small animal work.

J&D Cattle":x50x0amj said:

I can pretty well text my vet and she has the scrip ready when I get there. I don't think she's ever seen my cattle but has came out and treated a showpig once so she knows the farm. She also does all of our small animal work.
Just looked at my bill.
430 for 100ml of Draxx.

jedstivers":x4l8unwl said:
J&D Cattle":x4l8unwl said:

Just looked at my bill.
430 for 100ml of Draxx.

My butt hurts. :cry:

I have a friend who has lots of cattle on feed in a couple different feedlots. I can get pretty much anything from him. It is a lot cheaper but it is all in feedlot size bottles. It may be cheaper but I don't really need a 500 cc bottle of Draxxin. At least I hope I never need that much.....

Have you ever tried Sustain III boluses? They're relatively inexpensive and if I treat a cow or calf at the first sign of illness more often than not I don't have to follow up with LA300, Resflor Gold, Draxxin, whatever. If I see a cow or calf with a snotty nose, droopy ears, early foot rot, scours, etc. I can treat with Sustain in the pasture and watch a few days for improvement as opposed to immediately getting them in the chute to administer shots or waiting until it's too advanced and requires something like Draxxin. Always a case-by-case but I'm definitely a fan.

Latest posts