best antibiotic for toxic mastitis

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
I can't get into her teat any more so what systemic antibiotic is good?

Need to know if it is coliform, or Klebsiella. Have seen both in dairy cattle, kleb will kill them in 12 hours, coliform is more treatable but they will usually dry up. It's been awhile and I do remember that they are both treated IV. Need to call a dairy farmer or the vet if you want to know what to use

You probably have bigger problems than being able to give the cow IMM antibiotics... we don't usually give antibiotics for "toxic" mastitis as the damage is already done. The problem is toxins released as the bacteria die...loading her up on antibiotics doesn't help much. Supportive care does.

fever yesterday was 106.5. Gave her banamine and la 200. she was eating some grass last night. we'll see what today brings.

oxytetracycline and anti-inflammatory and probably 80% of them die anyway. In fact, the one year I had three the one that survived was the one I didn't treat other than a couple of doses of intramamary.

Her temp is down 2 degrees today. 104.5. She still looks pretty bad. Not eating much yet. Nibbles at stuff. Shows concern for her calf still. Gave her another round today. That'll be it though.

Latest posts