excessive antibiotic use

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep

Reaction score
Here's to show how much we use/overuse antibiotics in cattle around here

Unopened, expired in 2012... Had to go looking for it.. got a calf with the beginnings of navel ill

Nesi, some years ago I used some well out of date Trivetrin on a calf that was looking a bit swollen in joints, a couple of weeks later the skin started to die over the outside of one hind fetlock and inside of the other, that is they both would have been on the top and exposed to the sun when laid down. The skin eventually sloughed right down to the bone and also the joint capsule so open joint was exposed. I had to shoot it.

My suspicion was that the out of date Trivetrin had broken down and caused some photosensitization. I can vaguely recollect something about Sulphonimides causing photosensitization so maybe it broke down to a more primitive sulphonimide.

I administer antibiotics only as a last resort. I am grateful when I do need them. I usually call my vet and discuss the circumstances before I administer an antibiotic. I have obtained some valuable information by the practice of talking with the vet or his technical associate before administering antibiotics. There are a number of different antibiotics and using the antibiotic that is tailored for the suspected pathogen is important. In some cases, an antibiotic is useless if the pathogen is a virus.

It is interesting how producers become a fan of one antibiotic. I know producers who use draxxin for every ailment. If a calf has a snotty nose, they get it up and administer draxxin. In practice, it takes a little bit more thought than that.

I'm not 'loyal' to any antibiotic, but I really can't afford to have a medicine cabinet properly stocked and keep thing in-date. We always keep everything in the fridge.. I have a bottle of Estrumate (lute) as well that I bought a few years ago but haven't used yet.. Vit AD, Selenium/E, Dex, LA200... With a better mineral program now I find myself not needing the vitamin shots as much.
Ken, I'll let you know if I see any photosensitization... Was the calf you dealt with white by chance?

Bright Raven":3ihh0m41 said:
I administer antibiotics only as a last resort. I am grateful when I do need them. I usually call my vet and discuss the circumstances before I administer an antibiotic. I have obtained some valuable information by the practice of talking with the vet or his technical associate before administering antibiotics. There are a number of different antibiotics and using the antibiotic that is tailored for the suspected pathogen is important. In some cases, an antibiotic is useless if the pathogen is a virus.

It is interesting how producers become a fan of one antibiotic. I know producers who use draxxin for every ailment. If a calf has a snotty nose, they get it up and administer draxxin. In practice, it takes a little bit more thought than that.
What do you use for respiratory infections?

RanchMan90":wkscjoyw said:
Bright Raven":wkscjoyw said:

What do you use for respiratory infections?

Draxxin is tailored for BRD ( bovine respiratory disease). But keep in mind that BRD is a complex of respiratory conditions in cattle caused by pathogenic bacteria, viruses and even parasites such as lungworms.

15q3mgn.jpg

Nesikep":1h6mpz1m said:
I'm not 'loyal' to any antibiotic, but I really can't afford to have a medicine cabinet properly stocked and keep thing in-date. We always keep everything in the fridge.. I have a bottle of Estrumate (lute) as well that I bought a few years ago but haven't used yet.. Vit AD, Selenium/E, Dex, LA200... With a better mineral program now I find myself not needing the vitamin shots as much.
Ken, I'll let you know if I see any photosensitization... Was the calf you dealt with white by chance?

No Nesi, black Angus.

Ken

Keep mine stocked, I work so many hours running to the vet is not an option sometimes. I dont have prescription so for anything past pinkeye or non critical I have no choice but to use the vet. I give LA 300 before I haul them in. Draxxin isnt cheap.

BK9954":4wg70lst said:
Keep mine stocked, I work so many hours running to the vet is not an option sometimes. I dont have prescription so for anything past pinkeye or non critical I have no choice but to use the vet. I give LA 300 before I haul them in. Draxxin isnt cheap.
it's about a 4 hour trip for me to get to the vet and back... I have to stock some of the basics, though I don't use them very often.

Latest posts